Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start a thread for Toyota Mfg. of America to see suggested improvements of the current 2007 models. I plan on purchasing a newer model in 2-3 years once the pricing comes down a bit. By that time, I'm hoping Toyota irons out any glitches/needed improvements on the first model year. Lets make this new Tundra perfect in the next few years!

Here is a list from Edmunds of suggested improvements to start out (please second these if you agree, or add your own):

* Gauges are recessed too far; hard to see on sunny days

* CrewMax to have a 6' or longer bed option

* Make seats more comfortable

* Needs better gearing for heavy towing

* Optional locker

* Step up height from running boards is too high

* Shifter hard to get used to

* Interior needs upgraded for price; ie ... wood dash; upgraded shift knob

* Latch on center door console is flimsy

* Fuel economy dismal; can we offer a half cylinder option on long trips?

* Plastics to be thicker; textured (resembles PC printer plastic)

* Door handles should resemble color of the truck/interior

·
Registered
528 Posts
Oh hum

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Color matched handles and a locker are a big 10-4 from me also.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I actually find the steering a little light for my tastes.
A true locker would be nice.

However,I find woodgrain interiors tacky,and after seeing how poorly the fuel management system works on GM products,I do not want an engine that switches from eight cylinders to four cylinders.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I thought I would start a thread for Toyota Mfg. of America to see suggested improvements of the current 2007 models. I plan on purchasing a newer model in 2-3 years once the pricing comes down a bit. By that time, I'm hoping Toyota irons out any glitches/needed improvements on the first model year. Lets make this new Tundra perfect in the next few years!

Here is a list from Edmunds of suggested improvements to start out (please second these if you agree, or add your own):

* Gauges are recessed too far; hard to see on sunny days**i can see them okay with the lights in there but they are hard to clean.

* CrewMax to have a 6' or longer bed option**second

* Make seats more comfortable***seats are okay for me, quite firm.

* Needs better gearing for heavy towing**?? 4.30 & 6 sp. tranny is pretty good to me

* Optional locker***no comment

* Step up height from running boards is too high**??

* Shifter hard to get used to**okay for me

* Interior needs upgraded for price; ie ... wood dash; upgraded shift knob**second

* Latch on center door console is flimsy**??

* Fuel economy dismal; can we offer a half cylinder option on long trips?**okay, but will it actually work efficiently?

* Plastics to be thicker; textured (resembles PC printer plastic)**seem ok

* Door handles should resemble color of the truck/interior
**second.....or chrome on sr5.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C'mon, there's got to be something you can think of. This could be a great thread for aftermarket mfg's to develope add ons for your new truck. ;)

Here's one - The subwoofer is lacking. How about a powered OEM upgrade to the existing audio system's subwoofer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Limited DC models should have a sunroof and rear power window option. I mean really, it's a Limited.

I also think the interior should match better. For example parts of the dash, door panel, etc. is the same color in each truck....regardless of interior color. That looks a little tacky to me. Not so much the cheapish look, but just that it doesn't match. The Limited DC's I've looked at with tan interior, still have charcoal dashes (with silver).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Built in XM, more tie downs standard, better structured custom (individual)options sans"packages", reasonably priced aftermarket options. As for the ones on the list, the only one that would interest me would be the 4 cylinder mode if it did not inhibit relialibilty or performance and added mpg.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Power rear slider on my DC would be nice...and, maybe a power adjustable steering wheel like on the CM. Other than that, I am completely satisfied with my DC....completely:tu:

·
Registered
81 Posts
1). Remote locking fuel door keyed to power locks.
2). Sliding rear window in DC.
3). Limited Long Bed.
4). Being able to order any configuration of "available" options at any dealer. These "packages" are nuts, IMO.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't own one yet, but based on what I've seen I'd have to say a lower price. $44.4k for a LTD at my local dealer.:td:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Another thought is, why XM? I had Sirius in my 2003 F250, have XM in my '06 Silverado and my wife has Sirius in her A6. I like Sirius better overall, although their "personalities" talk too much instead of shutting up and playing music. However, Sirius has NFL games, which I really missed on the road this last fall (my first fall with XM). Also, my factory unit on the Chevy doesn't scroll at all (you have to push the button every time) and has space for about 10 letters - awful. On my wife's car, you get station, song and artist simultaneously. It seems like the factory units are inferior to the aftermarket unit I put my F250 4 YEARS AGO. Why???
One last thing, I'm not thrilled with the Chevy, but OnStar phone is, I must say, great. I hunt in remote Nebraska every fall and never get a cell phone signal. Was able to call the lodge when I got stuck in the mud with the OnStar phone - saved me hours of waiting for someone to notice I wasn't back in camp. It's the only thing going for GM over the others and it's a good thing to have if you spend any time out of cell phone range.

·
Registered
154 Posts
First thing is get rid of the hood scoop ,that serves no purpose, but takes away from the looks of this awesome truck. Second change the rear brake lights which also takes away from the looks IMO. Spray in liner should be standard in the Limited at least. I would much rather have a backup sensor instead of a camera.Cylinder deactivation would be nice for mpg, but not at the cost of power. The instrument cluster needs to change too much tunnel vision for my tastes. Definately need a power rear window on DC. Don't care much for power sun roof, its a truck for crying out loud!:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
1. Multi-colored interior with flimsy feeling plastic.
2. Slider rear window option on all models.
3. I love the trucks style, but the tail lights are fugly. It looks like something that should be on Flash Gordon's spacecraft.
4. Crew Max with the standard 6 3/4 shortbed.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Better gas mileage through a hybrid system or whatever it takes because these trucks are becoming expensive to drive.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I'm looking at getting one in 2-3 years also.
Color matched bumper and grill on SR5.
Power folding tow mirrors.
A true LSD.
More Power!
Redesigned dash.

Toyota seems to have gone to this black and silver, one color combo fits all on a lot of their vehicles lately.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Agree that guages are down in deep dark holes. I guess that's why on the new Tundra the instrument lights are on all the time? If they are not turned up all the way on a sunny day while wearing sunglasses forget it:td:.

Backup camera overhead monitor could use a movable screen to optimize angle :(.

Power rear slider on DCabs.

Even though solid rear windows are standard why not actually build some SR5's or higher with them?

At least one power outlet that stays live 100% of the time (the current ones only stay live 5 hours after shutdown).

Wheel-To-Wheel step bars / running boards, not just cab length.

Nix attempts by GST and SET to reconfigure trucks to their own liking driven by profiteering by adding non-value added packages and non-OEM equipment:mad:.

Integrated factory trailer brake controller (similar to Ford's "tow command" system :)).

I really, really like my truck. Thanks, Toyota :ts:.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm sure some of these ideas for improvements were thought about but keeping the truck at a certain price may have nixed them but I'd like:

• Allow for chasing front passenger seat to rear like on 4Runners and Rav4s
  • Tow mirrors need to be able to retract inward more
  • Passenger seat is a little too high
  • Cup holders in center are too wide, need rubber grommets
  • A no carpet option like on FJ would be nice
  • Let us deactivate seat belt alarms!
  • Sonar show distance in feet
But otherwise I give it a 9.9 for overall design!

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Scrap the new body style altogether and go back to the old one.

But keep the 5.7L engine.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts