1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
i definitely prefer 4-wheelers to dirt bikes, but i know KTM's are hard to beat.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I personally own a 2004 XR250 honda dirtbike and a 2008 Yamaha 450cc (Wolverine) quad. :p

Sanosuke!
How do you like the bike, sano, it's a lot like the honda I was looking at, and there are occasionally used ones come up for sale.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Wow, those 2 bikes couldn't be more different. I'm assuming you are buying new? Because you really need to know what you are buying with a 4stroke or else you could end up with over $1G repair bill.

Why did you not look at the KTM XC? It has electric start like the crf230. In any case, the 230 is a beginner style bike. Suspension no where near as good as any race 250f (and many don't like the KTM suspension, they don't use any rear link). Doesn't have the power of a 250f race bike. But it is easy to ride with less maintenance than a 250f race bike.

So really, these bikes are very different. It depends on what you expect it to do. I would say probably the 230f is fine for you and your son to start on. If he likes to ride, then you can both move up to a better bike later.

/Mike

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Faded Blue is faded blue, but faded red is pink...you sure you wanna a Honda for your son? :D

How old is the boy, how tall, how much does he weigh, how fast is he growing? Depending on those questions, he may be out of that 230 really fast besides it's more learner and if he starts jumping it, that crappy frame will bend and parts will break. Kids have ballz the size of watermelons, they grow outta bikes quick. If you can mod a 250f to work for him now, I'd go that route. Is he gonna race MX, or mostly trails...do you really want a competition bike or something with electric start and a headlight? And for you, same questions apply.

I'll tell you this, my next bike will be a KTM 530, blacked out, street legal, and 2 complete wheel, tire, gear, and chain set ups for road and dirt. At 35, I'm pretty much done with track riding and huge air...can't risk it anymore...so for trails, dunes, and fun on the road, I think the KTM will be the best of both worlds.

If I was going to buy another competition bike, it would be a Yamaha YZ450F.

·
Registered
365 Posts
brrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!:D i own a suzuki rm250 and love it. you hardly see anyone ridin 2strokes nowadays exept FMXers, but 2 strokes are fun bikes with lots of power and low maintenance costs(compared to four strokes),but with todays technology and with all the japanese bikes coming out with EFI it's tempting to make the switch. as far as which bike to chose(according to all the 450 & 250 shootouts) just pick your favorite color :thumb:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
KTM is overpriced. If today's Honda bikes are the same as they used to be, you want to be > 250cc to get the real Japanese quality bikes. The smaller ones used to be made in Mexico and were of lower quality.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Ideally, when finances permit, I need one of each!! :D

there's a difference between wants and needs ;) heck, for what i've got in rims and tires for my 4-wheeler, i could have picked up at least one or two new dirt bikes :eek: but i "needed" tires for every riding condition :D

·
Yamahauler
690 Posts
im a yamaha guy myself, but once apon a time i owned a cr250, and it wasnt bad, cept if parts broke they always seemed to be exactly $300, which made me angry. but then again, you could always get a sportbike and ride it offroad like this guy.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Well, there is something you don't see every day.

IF, and that is a big if, I were to get a bike, I would look the dual sport route myself. But I'm not, so what the heck am I even doing on this thread?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
im a yamaha guy myself, but once apon a time i owned a cr250, and it wasnt bad, cept if parts broke they always seemed to be exactly $300, which made me angry. but then again, you could always get a sportbike and ride it offroad like this guy.

man, i race a guy with an R1 motor in his raptor. i'm hoping with a little better clutch work and smaller tires i can at least keep up with him. if not, i'll turn my motor from an 840 to 1107 cc's :devil: but there's a guy with a banshee that beats the R1 raptor :eek:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I have a cr250 (2 stroke). I am looking at the CRF230 for my wife. Good beginner bike. From what some owners told me the power to suspension is perfectly dialed. it is not fast enough to need more suspension travel. BUT I saw a CRF250 which has more of a race feel to it so will be researching that soon. How big a guy are you? The 230 is sort of small I would think if you are a large guy. When I was looking at bikes my 2 choices were a cr250 (2 stroke) or a xr400 (4 stroke). I rode my friends xr200 and it sucked but I was just testing it to see if it would be good for the wife. It was to small and slow. I will be borrowing a crf230 soon for the wife to try out.

You can't go wrong with a honda. The KTM bikes are good but higher priced along with everything else for it. KTM items cost more.

I just did the top end on my Bike and it came to $470 New Head, cylinder, piston, rings and all gaskets. But that was at a spoinsered racers cost.

PS I have a video with my offroading my GSX 650. I get more air off a jump then my buddy on his xr400.

Dual sports suck on the street and then suck off road (because they have to do both). Best to get a Dirtbike and make it street legal with a light kit and stuff.

·
Yamahauler
690 Posts
man, i race a guy with an R1 motor in his raptor. i'm hoping with a little better clutch work and smaller tires i can at least keep up with him. if not, i'll turn my motor from an 840 to 1107 cc's :devil: but there's a guy with a banshee that beats the R1 raptor :eek:
you gonna bore/stroke it? cool.

people do crazy stuff with motorcycle engines, theres another vid on youtube where they take a bussa motor and put it in a smart car, apparently it beats ferarri's in the 1/4.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
you gonna bore/stroke it? cool.

people do crazy stuff with motorcycle engines, theres another vid on youtube where they take a bussa motor and put it in a smart car, apparently it beats ferarri's in the 1/4.

i've often wondered why they don't use turbo'd motorcycle motors in the smaller smart cars. efficiency would be very high, they wouldn't need as many gears due to the higher engine revs, and weight would be reduced.

the 1004/1069/1107 bbk involves boring out the case and installing bigger jugs/sleeves for the 4+" pistons. if that ain't enough, i could pick up another few cc's by stroking it, and gain some more torque. i'll be doing a gear reduction before any of that, though.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
brrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!:D i own a suzuki rm250 and love it. you hardly see anyone ridin 2strokes nowadays exept FMXers, but 2 strokes are fun bikes with lots of power and low maintenance costs(compared to four strokes),but with todays technology and with all the japanese bikes coming out with EFI it's tempting to make the switch. as far as which bike to chose(according to all the 450 & 250 shootouts) just pick your favorite color :thumb:
Plus, I miss the nice smell of 2 strokers in the morning ... mmmmm! :p

Back to my chemo I go... *shrug*

Sanosuke!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Some one say 2 stroke? How about an 89 smoker. 5-hunnerd size that is. Suspension is somewhat dated, but the motor is awesome!!!

JR

Snow roost

·
Registered
796 Posts
here is my latest bike...I'm the motor :)
It has some of the best suspension money can buy :)
4 piston caliper disc brakes...
I love this bike...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts