Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow the parts arrive to build a conventional set of Ohlins Shocks for the 2nd Gen Tundra. They are Ohlins 46DR , 46mm piston, D = internal reservoir with dividing piston between gas and oil, R = rebound adjustment (effects compression slighty, too). They are completely rebuildable and revalvable should the need ever arise. They will work great for many different setups, including everyday drivers, tow vehicles, and performance on and offroad. The front shocks will be a threaded body coilover, and thus be height adjustable for higher and lower than stock. Rear will be conventional adjustable dampers. I am conspiring with another forum member to test and tune these to perfection. He is welcome to chime in here, should he choose to do so. Pricing and availability will be announced shortly.

Please view my previous Ohlins thread to check out their TTX shocks.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/170883-ohlins/

·
Registered
323 Posts
this is great news, please post up pics when you can as well. I've been waiting to hear more info ever since I saw your first post about these. Ive always used Ohlins on my race bikes and would definitely be interested in trying them for the tundra!!!

·
Banned
444 Posts
I really could use some fully adjustable shocks. Just to soften the suspension while at the track and a little stiff-ness when towing. Realize that the shock themselves will not make it the way I like it, but it will slightly help.

I'n the other topic you states that the price of a particular shock was probability too much for the market to bare.

Just for the record I have paid $1300 for a set of tokicos for mustang cobra.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Tomorrow the parts arrive to build a conventional set of Ohlins Shocks for the 2nd Gen Tundra. They are Ohlins 46DR , 46mm piston, D = internal reservoir with dividing piston between gas and oil, R = rebound adjustment (effects compression slighty, too). They are completely rebuildable and revalvable should the need ever arise. They will work great for many different setups, including everyday drivers, tow vehicles, and performance on and offroad. The front shocks will be a threaded body coilover, and thus be height adjustable for higher and lower than stock. Rear will be conventional adjustable dampers. I am conspiring with another forum member to test and tune these to perfection. He is welcome to chime in here, should he choose to do so. Pricing and availability will be announced shortly.

Please view my previous Ohlins thread to check out their TTX shocks.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/170883-ohlins/
If your test and tune with the forum member doesn't work out and you need a test dummy, let me know. I spend every other weekend out in Glamis and once a month I'm up in Northern California running on logging roads and off road trails. I'd would be glad to give my input!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Twin-tube style?

·
Registered
149 Posts
So it's a standard coilover damper with a hollow shaft and common-bleed needle?

I guess I gotta ask, why not just offer those parts as an upgrade for other existing coilovers? What is different about their valving?

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One just can't call Ohlins or Ohlins Parts common. :D The build quality and materials used go far beyond the others. The tuning options are mind boggling. Pistons... 4 port linear, digressive, high frequency are just a few. A typical Fox Shox uses a single stage compression valve stack of seven shims. An Ohlins will typically use a stack of 16 - 18 shims.

Fox "frowns" (yes that is what they said) upon modification of their dampers in such ways. They won't offer rebound on their longer travel 2.0 shocks as it makes the 5/8" shaft to weak.

King recently started to offer low speed comp. adjustment.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Common bleed refers to a bleed port (or adjuster) that affects flow in both directions. Basically, no check shim over the bleed ports. Wasn't calling the units commonplace.

So what is the tuning philosophy that Ohlins subscribes to for these specific shocks that would set them apart from the other offerings (Camburg/SAW, Fox, King, Icon)?

Also, how will these be sized? Extended travel option over stock? What springrate are they set up with?

Awaiting pricing info..

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahhh, sorry, I misread that. :eek:

Yes, these have a bleed port/needle w/o check valve. The adjustment mainly affects the rebound, but also slightly affects compression.

We are looking at offering different springs depending on the application. This product is designed to cover a wide range of daily drivers. I can customize these a bit further if required, or build you an entirely different shock to suit your needs.

Philosophy... That would be higher quality, better service, and the use of available technology.

Ohlins Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNtdj1xMWpU

1 - 10 of 10 Posts