Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, have a '07 5.7 tundra and a '10 sequoia 5.7L 4x4 ...
my tundra is 7 qts with filter but am I right that on sequoia, 5.7L with 4x4, it's 8 qts oil?

do they use the same filter cartridge?

i'm at 2000 miles with the new seq. and was gonna change the oil but it's still absolutely CLEAN... light honey colored..... i know there's some metal flakes on the filter element probably but... almost thinking of just going to 4-5K and changing....

james R

·
Yamahauler
690 Posts
i didnt change mine till 5K, dealer told me that, i figured the motor could handle it, im about to do my first oil change myself at 15K, so i'd be interested to know how many quarts to buy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, my dilemma too...i have a 5.7L tundra that takes 7qts with filter...
the seq with 5.7L 4x4 version, seems to note 8qts with filter....i just wanna get a confirmation on the oil cap of the sequoia...

i'm at 2k and the oil is CLEAN so, i'm gonna goto 5000 miles for 1st change too maybe and then do every 5K as usual... M1 5-30W is what i use...

any more help/input on the capacity guys btwn the two 5.7L motors ???

james

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 08 4x4 5.7 just hit 2000 miles and I went ahead and got the oil & filter changed. I have always tried to do my first oil change under 3000 miles. Old school I guess. I had them leave the maintenance reset unchanged so I can just go ahead with the 5000 mile service. That will give me the peace of mind knowing I changed out the original oil. I just get nervous thinking that there might be some kind of "leftovers" from the manufacturing process. I'm sure Toyota knows how to maintain their engines, but like I said, I am old school. The dealer had tossed in the Toyota prepaid maintenance program as a purchase incentive and it pays for service at 5000 mile intervals until 65K but I paid this first one myself. I am looking at the receipt, ($49), now and they don't list a quantity of oil. They just give a cost, $27.89 for the oil as part of a "V8 5.7L LOF Kit". I thought I had read that it was like 7.6 qts with filter but I'm not sure about actual quantity. I checked my oil and it is full. They did also check all fluid levels and all too. very worth it for my peace of mind. Not much help I know.

·
Registered
235 Posts
why don't you look in the owners manual??? the capacity of the 5.7 in the tundra may be different compared to the sequoia. they could have different sized oil pans.
you could always start with 7 then check the dipstick, if it is low add more...
seems pretty straight forward to me

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I have both an 07 Tundra and an 08 Sequoia. They both hold the same 7 1/2 qts of oil. First change at 1000 mi. then every 5k after!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, nice to get some inputs...thanks...
it looks like the 2007 5.7 tundra does take 7qts,with filter, as I've noted but the 2010 sequoia indeed takes an additional quart....i.e. 7.9qts with filter...

that's what my manual says but i just wanted to be sure....yeah, putting 7qts first and titrating up is safe....

all well....

thanks all

5.7L tundra and sequoias do have Different capacity i think....

james R
2007 tundra
2010 sequoia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts