Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
living 3 blocks from the pacific ocean in Sandy Eggo, CA i wonder about the lack of extreme temps and oil changes based on miles driven/months since last change. lows have been 40 and highs maybe 75 degrees. i'm going south in a couple weeks for a week and expect 90's.

[FONT=&quot]in nov. 2009 i switched to the following oil: 7 quarts Castrol Syntec 5W30 synthetic oil and K&N oil filter at 103,630 miles[/FONT]. i now have 106,xxx six months later and the oil barely has any color to it at all = CLEAN! i plan on using Blackstone at my next oil change (i have the kit!) to get an idea of where my engine and oil stand but when should i do my next change? i know this is a hard answer to come by, but with my low miles vs elapsed time what would be appropriate?

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Honestly, the best thing to do is get the Blackstone test done and go from
there, otherwise you're going to get a ton of opinions on the subject.

Other than that, figure out where you stand according to the scheduled
maintenance suggestions from Toyota and use that.

John

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,537 Posts
I struggle with the same dilemma. I barely put on 5K miles a year. I live in an area that sees the 40s in winter and sometimes 100 in summer. I decided that, given my local seasonal average temperature variation, it was sufficient to change it annually. It comes out as visually clean as it went in. I do not tow, haul heavy loads, nor have I done a Blackstone analysis.

You're using a high quality synthetic oil and a quality filter. The 2UZFE is very easy on oil. I'd have no qualms about taking it to 6K-7K miles, and, given the moderate weather (narrow seasonal temperature variations) in SD, you could probably extend the OCI to 18 months (or more).

My $0.02.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Now that you mention it, I remember not too long ago a thread about someone
in the same situation in which Blackstone told them to try extending their
interval to 18 months. I think the thread was titled something to the effect
of oil not breaking down over time. I'll try to find it.

John

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I struggle with the same dilemma. I barely put on 5K miles a year. I live in an area that sees the 40s in winter and sometimes 100 in summer. I decided that, given my local seasonal average temperature variation, it was sufficient to change it annually. It comes out as visually clean as it went in. I do not tow, haul heavy loads, nor have I done a Blackstone analysis.

You're using a high quality synthetic oil and a quality filter. The 2UZFE is very easy on oil. I'd have no qualms about taking it to 6K-7K miles, and, given the moderate weather (narrow seasonal temperature variations) in SD, you could probably extend the OCI to 18 months (or more).

My $0.02.

Your usage sounds like mine. 5K per year, hot in summer. We do get a little colder than 40s in the winter at times. I use M1 and do it once per year. Anytime I start the truck for any reason, I will allow it to reach operating temp. before shutting it off. I sent a sample to Blackstone a month or so ago to see if it was necessary to change it more often. Based on my analysis, they said it should be no problem going to 18 months or possibly longer.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i use mobil 1 full synthetic in all my vehicles. i usually go somewhere between 9-10K miles between changes. i would change it sooner if necessary. how do i tell if it is necessary? mostly by the way the engine sounds/feels when it's running along with the color/viscosity of the oil on the dip stick.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Let Blackstone tell you. I use synthetic oil and change it at approx 10,000 mile intervals. I've had it checked by Blackstone twice and they said 10,000 plus miles was OK, both times. Be sure and get the full test. I believe the additive test tacks $10 on to the cost but it tells you what of the oils additive package is still in the oil doing it's job. Write them a little note on exactly how you use the truck. They give good advice.

I've discovered that the brand of oil makes little difference. Buy a good brand and use a decent filter, that's all that matters

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
You guys are lucky. I live near Remmy, and work in Nearby San Bernardino, and I manage to put down at least 14k a year. I am affected by the myth that 3k miles is time due for oil change, but I tend to go by 5k, or so with my oil change. I run synthetic oil these days, for the last two changes. Always a toyota filter.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Blackstone made the following assessment of my first oil analysis this past February (02.10.2010). RP 10W/30 and a Toyota 90915-YZZD3 filter was in use prior to analysis. The mileage at the oil change was 136,338. This was a mix of late summer, fall and winter driving.

"Universal averages show typical wear metals from this type engine after about 6,076 miles run on the oil. Your oil was in use 6,125 miles, and we found all wear at around average levels and in correct balance to show normally wearing mechanical parts inside. Air and oil filtration (see silicon and insolubles) appeared to be normal. This was 10W/30 engine oil with no gasoline, moisture, or anti-freeze in it. The oil could have stayed in use longer. Try going up to 8,000 miles for the next sample and check back to establish wear trends for your Tundra." - Blackstone Laboratories

The only variable I might add to the equation after the next 8K analysis is to change the filter at 4K depending on the lab results for the extended oil change interval. I'm just not comfortable with pushing the filter envelope too far since my truck is a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Opinions are all you're gonna get here, so here's mine: I use syn 5W30 per the owner's manual, and I change the oil and filter (nothing but Toyota filters) every 10,000 miles. Right now ... 67,700 miles on '04 LTD DC. It's easy to remember ... every time the odo rolls over another 10,000 mile increment, I change the lubes. Blackstone reports always confirm that the oil is within average wear levels. Works for me. By way of reference, my wife's Mercedes tells us when it needs an oil change ... it goes 11,000-13,000 miles between "askings."

I've been reading this forum a long time ... still waiting for someone to post an oil-failure problem. Other things break, rust out, fall off, wear out, get consumed ... but not oil or oil filters.

As for oil change intervals ... do whatever gives you peace of mind. It really makes no difference to your engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts