Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is anyone here with a 2010 4.6 Tundra abiding by the 10k mile oil change interval? I just hit 5k miles and don't think i could wait another 5k to change (even though i'm not hauling or using truck in extreme conditions). I know that synthetic oil is supposed to last longer but 10k miles seems so long. One of my buddies says he will change the oil at 10k miles but the oil filter every 5k miles....i think i will compromise ang change it at 7k miles. Any thoughts from owners???

·
Registered
136 Posts
I wrestle with this one on my 4.6L also. I changed at once at 5K and then received the notice regarding the change interval increase when the truck had about 7K on iEnded up changing again right when I hit 10K. I just could not stand to wait any longer that 5K even though the oil looked good and was still at the full mark. With that, from now on I have decided do 5K intervals if I tow alot, 7K if I tow just a little and 10K if the truck has easy use (which it never will!). I am using mobil 1 - 0/20 and toyota filters right now. Comming from being a strict 3K interval guy and Castrol GTX standard oil beliver, this is all big change for me......

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
oil change intervals, were first designed by oil companies. its now that manufacturers, are doing testing to see how long oil is really good for. the manufacturer is the one who pays for the warranty work, so you can garuntee they will err on the side of caution. you should be quite fine, to go with their reccomendations.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm so old school, I have trouble not doing it at 3000 miles. The 5000 stresses me out but i'm getting warmed up to it.
7000+ too far out there for me to even comprehend so 5000 it is. My Sequoia recommends 5K so i can live with that.
Early doesn't hurt anything but your cash reserves!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm going to let it go to 10K. If toyota tells me to use their synthetic oil and sends me a new owners manual to state 10K mile intervals, I'm sure it's fine. there is no way they would recommend something that is going to damage your vehicle.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm with you chuckles.... I am not too comfortable with 5000 mile intervals. Might consider oil every 3K miles and filter every other change.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
3k is completely a waste of time and resources....

5k on my truck cause thats what yota says.

13k on my wife's benz, cause thats what benz says.

now if i had a 4.6 and it said to go 10k then there would be no reason not to...

kinda like my "sealed transmission"..no need to overservice it either. those guys who got paid alot of money to design and test their stuff kinda override my backyard mechanic skills anyway so who am i to second guess them?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just because oil is better quality now, doesn't mean you should go longer between oil changes. Better quality oil does not break down nearly as fast which is great, but that does NOT mean it can stay CLEANER longer. It is the contaminates that are the problem. Dirty oil = faster wear.
Its only one of your larger $ investments. Why take a gamble?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
So is anyone here with a 2010 4.6 Tundra abiding by the 10k mile oil change interval? I just hit 5k miles and don't think i could wait another 5k to change (even though i'm not hauling or using truck in extreme conditions). I know that synthetic oil is supposed to last longer but 10k miles seems so long. One of my buddies says he will change the oil at 10k miles but the oil filter every 5k miles....i think i will compromise ang change it at 7k miles. Any thoughts from owners???
High end Synthetic oil CAN last longer, but thru my experiences on the 5.7 anyway is they shear a ton of metals up to 20k miles. After that these wear metals start to decline quite a bit.

I'm all for extended intervals ( of which i do ), but this process needs to be scientifically tested periodically to determine the oils condition & longevity. Some synthetic oils CANNOT go 10k miles.....Safely. Your higher end oils like Amsoil, Redline, & Mobil one EP tend to hold up quite well. The synthetic oil used at the stealership is low to mid quality synthetic at best. The virgin oil analysis i've seen show it to be just a tad bit better than a synthetic blend.

If i was in your situation ( knowing what i do ), I would not extend to 10k mile intervals until i reached the 20k mile mark on the odo. And then if i did go 10k intervals, i would use a higher end oil and the TRD oil filter.

I'm currently running Amsoil 5w30 and TRD oil filter, at 1 yr / 12k mile (max) intervals.

Oh, BTW.........i would drop your first oil fill right NOW!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Between 1997-2002 Toyota owners manuals said 7,500 miles was OK. Thousands of Camry & Avalon owners that followed that advice ended up with engine sludge, high oil consumption and a smokey exhaust after 60,000 -120,000 miles.

2010: Toyota says 10,000 miles is OK. Once again owners don't realize 10K the MAXIMUM allowable mileage an owner can go to keep the 60K powertrain warranty in effect, but is far too long to go if the owner desires to avoid expensive problems after the powertrain warranty has expired like hydraulic valve lifter problems, front and rear crankshaft leakage problems ($2,000 to fix), check engine lights for catalyst efficiency below threshold problems ($1,500 to fix), and blue smoke out the tailpipe problems due to deteriorated valve stem oil seals ($1,500 to fix).

On the Toyota Nation forum one Tacoma V6 owner with over 700,000 troublefree miles was asked how often he changed the engine oil and filter. His answer: every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
422 Posts
it's funny how many "experts" there are on the web.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm going to let it go to 10K. If toyota tells me to use their synthetic oil and sends me a new owners manual to state 10K mile intervals, I'm sure it's fine. there is no way they would recommend something that is going to damage your vehicle.
Did Toyota acutally send you a new owner's manual that has updated oil change intervals in there (10K, instead of 5K)?

I asked them about something in writing that backs the "new" 10K oil change interval and they acted like deer in head lights!!!!!

P.S. - Hey I like your signature picture. Can you send me a better picture of her :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
Did Toyota acutally send you a new owner's manual that has updated oil change intervals in there (10K, instead of 5K)?

I asked them about something in writing that backs the "new" 10K oil change interval and they acted like deer in head lights!!!!!

P.S. - Hey I like your signature picture. Can you send me a better picture of her :D
yep - I got a memo and a new owners manual in the mail.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Who did you ask from? or did they send it to you on their own?
it just showed up - actually it arrived the same day as the pedal recall notice but in a different envelope. My truck is a 2010 and I bought it in October last year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
it just showed up - actually it arrived the same day as the pedal recall notice but in a different envelope. My truck is a 2010 and I bought it in October last year.
How long after you bought it? I bought my truck about a month ago and am wondering now if they are going to send me an updated manual as well.

·
Registered
422 Posts
How long after you bought it? I bought my truck about a month ago and am wondering now if they are going to send me an updated manual as well.
don't remember exactly - maybe 5 months after I bought it. Think I got my recall notice in March.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2010 dc 4.6 and did my first oil change at 2,500mi, the second at 5,000 and my third will be 10,000 just what the manual says. The 2,500 mi is in the manual for a heavy working( towing, etc.). I was told by my elders the first oil change is the most important, then every 3,000 but I think with all the new technology and synth. oil 5,000 mi would be fine, my max. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I can't see the harm in continuing to change at 5k, other than damage to wallet. Thing is, yeah they say chage it every 10, but any increased wear isnt going to create an issue until AFTER the 60k powertrain warranty.

Seems to me that every story I've ever read about a super high mileage engine that is still going strong, every one of them changed the oil frequently. Me, if I was doing my own changes, I would do it every 5k, regardless. It's cheap piece of mind. Doesn't mean I am rational or that I am right, it's just what I would do.

Mind you, when I started out driving, I used to have a car called a Volkswagen Polo. Massive 1.05 litre engine, pushing out a DIZZYING 40 (count 'em, FORTY ponies). Tough as nails though. I didnt know ANYTHING about changing oil. I just thought you had to change it when you ran low, which I hadn't.
No lie, I had gotten it used and stuck another 30k on it until my best friend back then (STILL my best buddy now, though he is still in the UK) mentioned about the oild. When I told him 'it still has plenty', he said, 'well, yeah, but you need to change it' and was kinda stunned when I told him I had never touched it.
Anyway, the oil was still not low, and it still had a decent color. God only knows what its lubrication value was at that point, but that engine ran just tickety boo and still did when I sold it years later. My god, when I think of the abuse that car got.......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts