Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went to the dealship yesterday to pick up my plates and figured while i was there i would get me oil changed (got 1600 miles). When i pulled the head honcho guy said "How may i help you." I said "i need an oil change." He look at my truck... then looked at me and said " How many miles are on it" I told him 1600 and he said why am i asking for an oil change. I proceeded to tell him about a thread i saw on here about some dude doin his oil chang a 1500 and finding little metal peices in his filter. He said you wont need one until 5000 miles. I said but wouldnt it be a good idea to do it now because its a new motor? "Pointless" he said. He told me whoever this "guy" was with metal in his filter is a lieing.

Is he just a jacka55 or should i wait till 5000 like he says?

·
Registered
209 Posts
go to another dealership and tell them to change oil-sounds like youve got "lazzies" working there, or go to parts and get youreself an oil filter and do it youreself, come back at 5k or 6 months to keep documentation for warranty purps. no problem

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
He told me whoever this "guy" was with metal in his filter is a lieing.

Is he just a jacka55 or should i wait till 5000 like he says?

I wasn't lieing, and yes the guy is a jacka$$, change your oil now.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Every new motor will have metal shavings in the oil. The filter catches them before they can go back through the motor and do any damage. You should be fine waiting until 5K miles. When you change the oil should be your decision since it is your truck.
The service manager was doing you a favor. They could have easily just took your money. If you insist then i'm sure they will do an oil change as often as you want. Who do you trust...the Toyota engineers that wrote the service manual and the trained service manager, or some unknown source on the internet.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I proceeded to tell him about a thread i saw on here about some dude doin his oil chang a 1500 and finding little metal peices in his filter.
I would expect to find metel grit, but not shavings or little chunks of any kind. I am not doughting they were found, but I wonder exactly were they would come from. In my mind I can't picture any parts that can afford to loose shavings and still function properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.