Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I'm freakin' stupid.....but I would rather be safe than sorry.

I'm doing an oil change and I just wanna make sure the oil drain plug is the silver bolt on the bottom of the big black piece of metal, approx. 12" towards the rear of the truck away from where the filter is located and then about 12-16" towards the passenger side. It basically points right at the front passenger side tire, correct????

I just don't wanna start draining my Transmission fluid..........

Go easy on the flames please. :)

Thanks,
JOHN

·
Registered
848 Posts
I know, I'm freakin' stupid.....but I would rather be safe than sorry.

I'm doing an oil change and I just wanna make sure the oil drain plug is the silver bolt on the bottom of the big black piece of metal, approx. 12" towards the rear of the truck away from where the filter is located and then about 12-16" towards the passenger side. It basically points right at the front passenger side tire, correct????

I just don't wanna start draining my Transmission fluid..........

Go easy on the flames please. :)

Thanks,
JOHN

if your asking this question take it to the dealer ... :( but yes that should be the oil drain plug

·
Registered
764 Posts
You are correct. It's that same placement and orientation that will make you a believer in getting your oil drain pan up high and close to catch it. The synthetic oil comes out in such a gush like a garden hose that it will shoot out toward the passenger-side tire. Be ready for it. One TS poster suggested not taking the plug completely out letting the oil drizzle out slower in an attempt to check the gush. To each his own but I'd just go for it with proper preparation.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Maybe one of these 'Fumoto' valves would be a good idea. I just e-mailed the company. I have seen them used before, the Subaru guys really seem to dig them, and some diesel enthusiats. Anyway, the only draw back I have seen with these is 1) don't see any metal shavings (if any present) like you would on a magnetic drain plug, and 2) if you do serious off-roading, the possibility does exist of knocking this drain valve right off the bottom of the pan.
Engine Oil Drain Valve

·
Registered
764 Posts
Piston-powered aircraft have been using similar valves for years, but with a straight spring return system or a spring-loaded twist lock akin to the drain plug system Toyota includes in it's new 5.7L oil filter kit. They make oil changes a lot easier and faster and have been proven in a high-vibration environment. However, I'm with you on the possibility of whacking the drain valve on a rock or similar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys and for being gentle on me.....lol

Everything is done and it went well thanks to the other recent posts on here.

I got that tool from Napa to unscrew the Filter with and it worked perfectly. That skid plate really is a beeacchhh, but having some light shining down there really helped me spot the little hooks, etc.

Filled her up with some fresh 0W-20, started it up and everything is looking good. Rotated the tires while I was at it.

Thanks for the help.

JOHN

1 - 6 of 6 Posts