Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I went about 1400 more miles than I wanted to on this 1st oil change. Darn MX races, friends coming into town.:mad:

I changed my oil tonight at 2381 miles.

It's a new motor people, there is metal shavings inside. I don't care what you say about new machining techniques, look at the pictures. You guys with brand spanking new ones, do yourselves a favor, pay the $50 bucks and get this stuff out of your motors.

The filter did its job so I am happy, but man, I should have got to it sooner.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Re: Oil change tonight, you "buy the book" guys may want to have a look see!!!

That's why mine got changed at 890 miles, and then i just put full synthetic in at 2900 miles.:tu:

·
Registered
60 Posts

If and when I get my new 2007 Crewcab 4x4, I plan to change the oil every 500 miles for the first three changes...just to make sure I get the machining remnants out as soon as possible. Heck, I may do the first change after 100 miles. Then, go 500-700 before the second one.

But, I doubt you have much (if any) damage at all. I think I did my first change on my 2000 Access Cab at about 1,500 miles. It was still running like new when I sold it with 86k miles.

So, don't worry.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

So do you suppose that metal is always in there at first but hidden by a regular oil filter? Has anyone ever opened one up to look?

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

So do you suppose that metal is always in there at first but hidden by a regular oil filter? Has anyone ever opened one up to look?
I don't think I follow you. Can you put that another way, please?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

You know, you don't usually get to see the paper in most filters after you change your oil. You just throw the whole thing away. So, you would never know if there are metal shavings in there after your first oil change.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

You know, you don't usually get to see the paper in most filter cartridges. You just throw it away.
Ah, I get you now. Your answer would be yes, you would just have to saw one in half to see it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

Is the oil drain plug magnetic?? If so, did it have any chips/shavings on it??

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

No, it's not magnetic.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

OK - I just cut open one of my old oil filters to see what was inside:

And look what came out!:

Some crazy stuff in there, apparently.

Seriously, maybe the filter mag people actually have something:

Are the particles magnetic (ferrous), anyway?

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

It is not magnetic, 1st thing I checked.

I will be searching for one, but I should have figured out the thread pattern/pitch and size before I put it back in.:cry:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

Well, since it's an aluminum block with aluminum alloy head I guess there isn't really a need for a magnetic drain plug...was just curious.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Well, since it's an aluminum block with aluminum alloy head I guess there isn't really a need for a magnetic drain plug...was just curious.
I highly doubt that the crank, rods, bearings and countless other "moving" parts are aluminum. Heads and blocks don't move much. I would deduct a magnetic drain plug will prove to be quite handy.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

mxsjw....another couple of questions. What oil did you put back in?? Did you buy the filter kit from Toyota? $$ ?? What tool did you use to remove the base of the filter assembly?? Did you have fun??

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

mxsjw....another couple of questions. What oil did you put back in?? Did you buy the filter kit from Toyota? $$ ?? What tool did you use to remove the base of the filter assembly?? Did you have fun??
In order asked.

0w20 Toyota motor branded (Mobile 1 makes it for Toyota)

Yes, paid 4 or 5 bucks for the filter, $5.95 per quart of oil.

I used a screwdriver and pryed it a little bit loose:eek: (like a 16th of a turn) and got it the rest of the way buy brute strength.:D I thought I had a tool that would work, I was wrong, so I improvised. Had to do it, but I got lucky and didn't damage anything.

Sure I had fun, I enjoy wrenching. It was different, but it was not that big of a PITA. Hardest part is getting the engine undercover off and on.

Tips...
Engine undercover - once unbolted (5-12mm, 3-10mm), hold it up, push toward the front of the truck and move to the left to unhook the front.

Draining - The oil comes out like a cow pissing on a flat rock. It splashed out of my drain pan and right into the right wheel and on the tire. Use a deep drain pan/bucket, something to direct the flow, or hold the pan at an angle.

Filter Housing drain - Easy and not messy at all. Follow instructions on the box. Use a piece of hose on the end of the included drain tube, put the other end is a small container and simply push up tight after removeing the plug. Wait for it to finish, and angle out the drain tube. I didn't spill a drop on this step.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

I refuse to go more than 500mi on a new engine w/o an engine oil & filter change.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks for sharing that.

If you still have the opened old oil filter. Run a magnet over it. Steel shavings will be attracted to the magnet, aluminum shavings will not. Would be interesting to see how much of the shavings are steel and how much are aluminum.
Good idea, I will do that tomorrow evening and post a picture in this thread.

Jer, I wish I would have listened to my gut. Oh, without procrastination, just think of what I could get done.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Good idea, I will do that tomorrow evening and post a picture in this thread.

Jer, I wish I would have listened to my gut. Oh, without procrastination, just think of what I could get done.:rolleyes:
I know what you mean and you're still better off than 85% of people who purchase a new vehicle. I'm far from 'gentle' with my new engines when I break them in but at the same time I fully understand them and what it means to 'break an engine in' and sometimes that doesn't mean you do what the owner's manual says as you know.

I'm sure your truck will be just fine and that's why they make oil filters, right? :D :tu:

·
Banned
888 Posts

Remove the rear pan bolts "only"and let the oil "ramp" into your pan.
Abit of brake cleaner will wash off the skid pan nicely,rebolt the rear pan and your done

·
Registered
116 Posts

This thread makes me laugh!! A few days ago there was a thread about changing the oil, and I stated that I ALWAYS change it after 500 miles on a new or rebuilt engine! People laughed at me and told me that it was 1960's tech to change it after the first 500 miles. Well I guess your pics prove my point!

Zack

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.