Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone but the special service tool from Toyota - what did it cost and where is a good place to get it. I dumped the oil yesterday but could not change the filter and would like to do so at 3K
Thanks

·
Registered
503 Posts
Anyone but the special service tool from Toyota - what did it cost and where is a good place to get it. I dumped the oil yesterday but could not change the filter and would like to do so at 3K
Thanks

You can get by with a strap wrench. I found that one of my motorcycle filter wrenches labeled 65/14 worked. Don't forget to put out the little locking clip.

·
Registered
595 Posts
65/14 worked. Don't forget to put out the little locking clip.
That could mean 65mm across and 14mm high?

What about this tab? It's the first I've heard of that.

·
Registered
503 Posts
That could mean 65mm across and 14mm high?

What about this tab? It's the first I've heard of that.

65mm across, 14 faces. The tab is near the base flange of the filter housing and has a little finger that reaches out and hits the ridges on the housing. You could probably just force it, but seems better to pop it out. It will make sense when you see it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
65mm across, 14 faces. The tab is near the base flange of the filter housing and has a little finger that reaches out and hits the ridges on the housing. You could probably just force it, but seems better to pop it out. It will make sense when you see it.
Is it too tight to remove by hand?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I bought a tool at walmart that will remove it no problem. I think it was 4-5 bucks or so.

It's the same tool that you can use to remove small oil filters on small cars. It goes on a ratchet wrench.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.