Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new here but i did my first oil change on my 08 5.7 cm superwhite and it was no fun and my truck tinkled all over the place, my skid plate hit my head, i got dust in my eyes, my oil pan didnt hold 7.5 quarts of oil so it definitely was a mess

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hi new here but i did my first oil change on my 08 5.7 cm superwhite and it was no fun and my truck tinkled all over the place, my skid plate hit my head, i got dust in my eyes, my oil pan didnt hold 7.5 quarts of oil so it definitely was a mess

Sounds like you need to pick up some safety glasses, a helmet, and a 6 pack before you do another oil change....lol :D

It will get easier with time, and you only have to change it every 5000 miles too.

Welcome to TS... :tu:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what oil do you guyz use i didnt know really so i just got mobil 5000 performance 5w-20 i was debating if i should get synthetic or fully any advice kuz i dont know what i need

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I have to agree!
I have been doing my own oil changes for thirty two years.
This 2nd Gen Tundra is the messiest on oil changes.
I think the Cummings Ram was second.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I also just changed my oil yesterday. I think it is getting easier, but still a pain in the Azz. I used amsoil 0w-20, and change it every 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use mobil 5w-20 also and trust me the 6 pack is a must for the first oil change on this truck ha!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
.... my oil pan didnt hold 7.5 quarts of oil so it definitely was a mess
Oh we forgot to tell you...there's 7.5 quarts of oil in the beast. You DID read the manual, right? RIGHT? Sheesh. :cool:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yea too bad the manual doesnt say its time to get messy. This thing loves oil couldnt believe it took so much oil, i thought my 05 was bad, guess not.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
At least these engines don't use any. Old Chev pushrod engines already have most of their oil replaced via top ups by the time the change interval hits. :lol:

·
Registered
306 Posts
MrCreosote - Yep. I hear on the Chevy's. You never really changed the oil, just the filter. They should have made those with top mount oil filters. I would have never had to get on the floor.

I have to agree that this is one of the most time consuming and annoying oil changes. But like anything else, the more you do it the easier and quicker it get. Although, you won't get my sympathy for the amount of oil. My 2004 Ford diesel took 15+ quarts - yes 4 GALLONS. That would have made your driveway look like the Gulf of Mexico.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
It gets easier after you do a few more and get the hang of it. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ha thats crazy! i bet that was fun to change

·
Registered
208 Posts
I agree with the other posters.
It gets easier the more you do it.
I just finished my 7th oil change.
I finally got a system down to remove the skid pan quickly and with out it contacting my skull.
Those dang little hooks in the front were driving me crazy. :mad:

I still cuss the engineer at Toyota who came up with this design.
I'll bet this was the same guy who designed the oil filter location on the Yamaha v-star 1100 I used to have. Grumble grumble grumble!

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
#1 was PITA (would have been much worse without the instructions I printed from this forum)
#2 much less a PITA
Think I'll have it licked by #3!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Try getting the plastic oil filter cap off on a 4-Cylinder GMC Terrain. I thought the engineers were being nice by putting it on top of the motor until I realized that it was slightly underneath the heads and a fuel line... You can only break it loose with a 1 1/14" socket and some swivels before the socket hits the metal fuel line. And since it is only a "cap" not like the cup our Toyota filter is in you can't use a strap. Luckily I had a pair of channel locks that would barely fit on the oil filter and clear the radiator fan for the remainder of the removal. AND the oil filter locks into the cap so you spill oil all over the motor when you remove it. (I was able to wipe it up and wash down the residue)

I bet there is a $100 GM tool for that oil filter cap. I have it figured out now.

Seems like each car/truck has its own unique PITA maintenance items. I'd still rather deal with it myself than trust a dealer or Jiffy lube.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Be patient, it does get easier the more you do it. I am getting older and not so much
into crawling under the truck any more. But, the last time my dealer changed the
oil, it changed my mind. Got home and parked the truck in the garage. Went out about
an hour later, and their was a good sized puddle of oil on the floor. Tech forgot to tighten the drain bolt, and it was in by only half the threads. Luckily, I only lost about a half a quart. Did my third self performed oil change the other day, and with only one arm. Tore the rotator cuff in the left shoulder a few weeks ago, and that arm is pretty useless right now. Still managed, and I know it was done correctly. No skid plate on mine though. (Limited 5.7)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
where did you guys get the wrench from i used the one 57mm/67mm from an auto parts store but it doesnt seem to fit that well

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Don' look at it like your performing a service or just changing the oil? Think of it as creating memories for all to enjoy!!!!!:D:tu:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts