Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5.7L...What did Toyota put in it at the factory? Anyone know for sure? 5w-20, 0w-20 etc? Synthetic or NON? Looked in the 600 page manual, and it does not seem to say.

Please don't speculate, I would like to know for sure. Post your source if you have the answer.

Thanks.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump, anyone find anything on this?

I just called my local Toyota service department, they say it is 0w-20 full synthetic from the factory. Sound right?

·
Registered
214 Posts
There was another thread on here that talked about the same thing. IIRC, some said it was synthetic but of course some claimed it wasn't. Might search for that thread. :tu:

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was another thread on here that talked about the same thing. IIRC, some said it was synthetic but of course some claimed it wasn't. Might search for that thread. :tu:
I thought I had seen it before too, like a month ago or so. I did search before I posted, but came up with nothing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Recently you contacted Toyota. Below is a summary of your contact message and our response.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject factory fill 07 5.7 ltr tundra Discussion Thread Response (Tom)04/06/2007 11:08 AM Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. Mr. Talbott, we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.
Please be advised that '07 Tundra 5.7 liter engine is delivered with 0W-20 non-synthetic oil.
As per our Owner's Manual, we recommend either 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil grade viscosity.
We advise consistency regarding choice of synthetic or non-synthetic engine oil; i.e., stay with one type; we do not recommend switching back and forth.
Your feedback is appreciated. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to review and improve our products and services.
Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200704060595. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.
Toyota Customer Experience
Customer

what oil is factory filled on 07 5.7 litr tundra? simple question and doesn't appear to be simple answer for you??coventional or synthetic????and what viscosity not recomended at oil change what is put in at factory!! "I still don't know if they know what they are talking about? I saw a thread from someone who said they assemble the engines, If someone reads these threads from the line-"

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Why would they fill it with synthetic? Its over the course of the prodution run going to cost them more. Lets say it costs them just $5 more per vehicle, that over 200,000 units is $1,000,000!!

If they were doing it they would be advertising it to get something out of that sizable investment. Toyota might be big but they aint going be throwing a million dollars away and not getting anything out of it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I actually just asked this question at the dealer yesterday when I was getting my oil changed. They said 0W20. They also said that it is cheaper to do the 0W20 in every oil change because they get it as a kit.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts

I just called my local Toyota service department, they say it is 0w-20 full synthetic from the factory. Sound right?
Exactly what my dealer said. They are pretty straight forward with me also.

·
Registered
585 Posts

WRONG!! YOUR TUNDRA WAS NOT DELIVERED WITH FULL SYNTHETIC OIL!

I don't know how this myth got started. Even some dealers are repeating it; possibly to sell expensive full synthetic oil changes?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
WRONG!! YOUR TUNDRA WAS NOT DELIVERED WITH FULL SYNTHETIC OIL!

I don't know how this myth got started. Even some dealers are repeating it; possibly to sell expensive full synthetic oil changes?
The dealers are idiots for the most part, they have no clue. You come up to them and say "Hey the Tundra came with synthetic right, cause its better" They are going to tell you what you want to hear so you go away. Besides what do they have to loose, how will know anyhow. So yeah its synthetic, is that what you wanted to hear? If not I will say it is convetional.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I got my first change last week as part of my pre-paid maintenance plan, they used 0-20 synthetic. When I asked what oil they were going to use I was told the 5.7L engine is factory filled with and spec'd for synthetic. I think it's a toss up as to what any given dealership will tell you.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I got my first change last week as part of my pre-paid maintenance plan, they used 0-20 synthetic. When I asked what oil they were going to use I was told the 5.7L engine is factory filled with and spec'd for synthetic. I think it's a toss up as to what any given dealership will tell you.
BS I have read the manual and it does not say synthetic is the oil that is "spec'd" They say the oil should meet some automotive standard, that it is it beyond the weights they recommend 0w20 or5w20

·
Registered
585 Posts
Henry T is correct. Toyota does not specifically recommend synthetic for the Tundra, all though you can certainly use it if you want. Toyota only recommends that if you use synthetic, you do not switch back to dino oil.

In the end, synthetic or dino makes no difference so long as you stick with one or the other and use the proper grade/weight.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Again, not true. The truck is filled with dino oil from the factory. The "official response" from Toyota posted above has the correct information.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The owners manual says "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" is used in your Toyota vehicle. You can bet if it was synthetic oil, Toyota would say so in the manual.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Again, not true. The truck is filled with dino oil from the factory. The "official response" from Toyota posted above has the correct information.
There's no such animal as dino 0W20.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Lots of guessing and assumptions and an official Toyota response saying conventional 0w20 which doesn't exist. Seems Toyota doesn't know either. If they used synthetic I'd rather had them spend the 50 bucks on the tailgate.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Toyota dealer parts dept's offer three types of genuine Toyota ISLAC GF-4 approved motor oil for Tundras and most other 2007 & 2008 models:

1) 5W-20 dino
2) 0W-20 dino
3) 0W-20 full synthetic

0W-20 dino is the factory fill

·
Registered
791 Posts
Toyota dealer parts dept's offer three types of genuine Toyota ISLAC GF-4 approved motor oil for Tundras and most other 2007 & 2008 models:

1) 5W-20 dino
2) 0W-20 dino
3) 0W-20 full synthetic

0W-20 dino is the factory fill
...................then who's refining 0W20 conventional? And if someone is (which I doubt), Toyota has cornered the market.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts