Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a number of aftermarket adapters for engines which allow the use of conventional spin-on type oil filters instead of cartridge filters. Does anyone know if there might be a product for the Toyota 5.7 engine?

Specifically, the conversion kit allows a cartridge oil filter set-up to be converted for using spin-on oil filter. The conversion is accomplished by installing an adapter plate for the filter seal and a double ended threaded fitting to hold the adapter plate onto the filter mount on the engine and provide for the threaded part for the spin-on filter.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have a better questions for all of those that are opposed to cart. filters.

The 5.7 was developed off of toyotas commercial truck line, was it not? In those what type of filters are they using?

also I dont see why everyone dislikes them. it was obviously researched extensivly if toyota chose to use em

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
I hate to bring up a potential warantee issue, but...

I wonder what changing to a spin on would do to the engine's warantee?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If everyone dislikes them (or mostly everyone), then maybe Toyota's research led them astray?
they are a lot less messy to change than spin ons. they filter better IMO, and they are less restrictive.

also if you look at the PDF in the oil filter thread.. there is no way a spin on would be adaptable. the oil cooler seems to utilize the same enclosure, check it out and you will see what i mean.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have seen a number of aftermarket adapters for engines which allow the use of conventional spin-on type oil filters instead of cartridge filters. Does anyone know if there might be a product for the Toyota 5.7 engine?

Specifically, the conversion kit allows a cartridge oil filter set-up to be converted for using spin-on oil filter. The conversion is accomplished by installing an adapter plate for the filter seal and a double ended threaded fitting to hold the adapter plate onto the filter mount on the engine and provide for the threaded part for the spin-on filter.
I am in the process of patenting a spin-on oil filter adaptor kit for a series of Kawasaki motorcycle engines (see Bergmen Engineering - Welcome for details - not trying to sell anything here, just informing).

In the case of my adaptor, the original paper cartridge filter apparatus is a major PITA since it makes a mess, involves several parts that are unintuitive in reassembly order and there is only one filter design available.

In this case, Toyota seems to have made an effort to address the maintenance mess by having a drain feature. Nice touch.

In my opinion, I would not be in so much of a rush to convert to spin-ons just yet (even though 100's of owners agree that my kit is an improvement over the factory filter). Give it a year or so and become very familiar with this application, the cartridge filter may be the best solution.

JMHO

Dan

·
Registered
361 Posts
This is the same style filter I have on my Avalon. It's like having a re-usable outer shell and you only replace the paper internal element. If you read through the directions it has you remove the center cover, insert a tube adapter to empty the filter then spin off the outer shell. You replace the two O rings, oil them, insert the paper element into the outer housing and re-install. Personally I don't bother with the center cap and drain fitting. I loosen the outer housing until oil starts to drip out then slowly keep unscrewing it as the oil continues to drain. When it comes free just turn it over into your drain pan, remove the old element and wipe it out before inserting the new element.

I don't find it that much different than changing any oil filter that is streight up and down and not on an angle like the old 4.7L filters.

·
Registered
54 Posts
this new filter may be better and all, but for a little while until they are more well known from the looks of the last post on how complicated it sounds i bet alot of quicky lube places mess stuff up and end up ruining some trucks with their intelligent workers.
not that im ever going there, but im sure some do.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This is the same style filter I have on my Avalon. It's like having a re-usable outer shell and you only replace the paper internal element. If you read through the directions it has you remove the center cover, insert a tube adapter to empty the filter then spin off the outer shell. You replace the two O rings, oil them, insert the paper element into the outer housing and re-install. Personally I don't bother with the center cap and drain fitting. I loosen the outer housing until oil starts to drip out then slowly keep unscrewing it as the oil continues to drain. When it comes free just turn it over into your drain pan, remove the old element and wipe it out before inserting the new element.

I don't find it that much different than changing any oil filter that is streight up and down and not on an angle like the old 4.7L filters.
I sure am having trouble visualizing this. Is it like the Trufilter??
Trufilter.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts