Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recnetly boght a new 2010 Tundra 4.6L, and when I got the so called "two year free maintenance", I was told that it is basically just two oil changes, since Toyota recently changed the oil change intervals in Tundra to 10,000 miles and calls out using 0W-20 synthetic oil. Now I am not worried about Toyota brand fully synthetic oil lasting 10,000 miles, but I am concerned about their regular paper oil filter still doing its job up to that interval. So I was thinking about changing the oil filter once in between the oil changes after 5,000 miles. It has the canister type oil filter housing where you just change the filter element. I was wondering if you open up the oil filter housing without draining the oil first, you will dump most of it out, or it will remain in the engine block? Do you guys know? Has anybody tried it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you used Amsoil 0-20 AMSOIL - 100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil (ASM)
and Ea Oil filter AMSOIL - AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter (EaO)
You could join me changing oil and filter at 25,000 miles.
Except oil analysis said I didn't have to chuck the oil, it was still good for continued use.
Mean no disrespect, but you sound like a cheezy commercial. Actually I have tried Amsoil 0W-20 in my previous truck, which was a 2008 Tacoma 2.7L 4X4 and was not impressed at all. I experimented with a lot of different brand of synthetic oils, almost all 20 weight oils, and found Redline to be the best quality and performing oil, at least in my application.

But that is besides the point, my question was if you can change the oil filter without changing the oil and like to keep the conversation on this subject and still hoping some body with actual experience could share their knowledge and experience.
Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Don't want subtlety? Okay, here;

I drove my Dakota 623,000 miles...original engine and transmission. The oil lasted 100,000 miles sometimes, depending on the driving, according to oil analysis,and I changed the Amsoil oil filter at 15,000 mile intervals.

The reason I specify Amsoil oil and filters is because that is what I used.

The quality of any product should be judged by quantifiable measurements, and comparisons between it and a competing product must use the same test parameters.

You will note, below, that I won't sell you any Amsoil products.

·
Registered
444 Posts
But that is besides the point, my question was if you can change the oil filter without changing the oil and like to keep the conversation on this subject and still hoping some body with actual experience could share their knowledge and experience.
Thanks much.
Yes, it can be done. Kubota tractors have doubled their oil change interval but kept the oil filter change requirements to regular intervals. Supposedly, this was done to reduce maintenance costs. There are probably environmental issues involved as well.

However, for such an investment as a tractor or truck it is my choice to change the oil with the filter. A UOA would tell more of course but I'd rather pay for the insurance with fresh oil when the filter is changed.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You guys are missing his question. It appears that you CAN just remove the oil filter without FIRST draining the oil from the pan. The filter sits higher than the pan. I haven't done it yet but plan to do exactly this when the time is right.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I do not believe filter location has a bearing on changing the oil, on any vehicle. The oil will not run out of the pan when you remove it.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
I would think that you would have to add roughly half a quart of oil upon putting on the new one to replace what was in the old oil filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts