Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for oil filters? I picked up a Fram Extra Guard at Walmart, but it seems to be about 2 inches shorter than the one the Stealership put on on my last change.
I have an 05 SR5 loaded up. Thanks in advance for the responses..................Dave

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
What are you guys using for oil filters? I picked up a Fram Extra Guard at Walmart, but it seems to be about 2 inches shorter than the one the Stealership put on on my last change.
I have an 05 SR5 loaded up. Thanks in advance for the responses..................Dave
Stay away from Fram - very poor quality internal construction. You can't beat the Toyota factory filter for the money - 90915-YZZD3 - 4 bucks delivered (case of 10) on eBay.

I use a Fleetguard LF3487 or Donaldson P169071 filter with synthetic media. Absolutely the best filters available for the Sequoia. (The Fleetguard LF3487 and Donaldson P169071 filters are identical other than the brand and the paint). With Mobil 1 5W-30 EP and these filters, a 15,000 mile OCI is no problem. I posted my last oil analysis on BITOG.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Amsoil EaO15. Full synthetic nano-fiber media. Guaranteed for 25K miles or one year with Amsoil synthetic oil.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Amsoil does not offer synthetic nano-fiber for Toyota and Lexus any more. You can use Mobile 1, Mann and Wix oil filter. Mobile 1 is very expensive compare to others two. Or order the Toyota OEM filter online, much cheaper.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good luck getting Amsoil to honor it's "warranty":

AMSOIL RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REJECT A WARRANTY CLAIM FOR ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING REASONS:

1. Failure to follow all OEM recommendations for warranty coverage, including lubricants, maintenance, and drain intervals, prior
to the first installation of AMSOIL lubricants.
2. AMSOIL INC. was not notified within 30 days from the date of failure.
3. Claim information is insufficient.
4. Parts inspected do not substantiate a claim or indicate failure.
5. Parts requested were not sent or are unavailable for inspection.
6. Oil sample was not provided.
7. Failure of the customer to follow the written procedure herein.
8. Customer refused to cooperate with the investigation.
9. Failure was the result of an OEM defect.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I guess there are some Amsoil haters here! I've been using their products in my truck since the first oil change and I've got oil analysis to prove the results.
I've been using the EaO15 and their 5W-30 on 15K mile change intervals and still get great results on the analysis.

·
Registered
37 Posts
you don't have on use Amsoil or any products that is recommended. you should do your own reseach and decide what to use is best for your car. That is why there are so many brand names available for you to choose from.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Personally prefer - Made in USA - if I'm going to buy aftermarket. Have used K&N oil filters with no problems. Other than stock, those were the only filters I have tried.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Personally prefer - Made in USA - if I'm going to buy aftermarket. Have used K&N oil filters with no problems. Other than stock, those were the only filters I have tried.
I agree with this remark. Made in the good old USA. Fram 3x Guard, I've used them and still do on the Sequoia, even on my BMWs. No problem, I like the fact that it has the grip, non slip end. Makes it easier when your hands are greasy full of oil, while tighten it.

However, OEM is the best.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I guess there are some Amsoil haters here! I've been using their products in my truck since the first oil change and I've got oil analysis to prove the results.
I've been using the EaO15 and their 5W-30 on 15K mile change intervals and still get great results on the analysis.

I use OEM with Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30. If in doubt I usually go OEM with parts and fluids.

How do you go about doing an analysis?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:D Thanks everyone! I went with OEM, got 3 at the dealership for $15 bucks.....not bad and didn't have to wait on shipping...........................Dave

·
Banned
21 Posts
the mobile 1 filters are made by bosch and i think they are a good deal but i love the k and n filter cuz you can take it off with a regular wrench. if u want the ultimate filter you can buy a nissan ud box truck filter that is like a foot long for 50 bucks at your truck stop

1 - 20 of 21 Posts