Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand of oil filter would you suggest on my 4.7 V-8 other than the stock filter?? :ts:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Amsoil filter. Apparently it has shown great results. I think the part number (at least for my truck) is EAO57.

I have been using Toyota filters with fine results but with them I only run 5K on my Mobil 1 because I don't want to overload the filter. So with this Amsoil filter I'll run to at least 10K.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I run a fleet grade filter. I use Baldwins and the Tundra takes the B1405 oil filter, and the PA4127 air filter.

I have run Baldwins for hundreds of thousands of miles, and thousands and thousands of hours on heavy duty construction vehicles. Many off road construction vehicles run Baldwins under the worst conditions there are. I have seen them on every kind of construction vehicle and in every kind of dirty work. Extreme conditions? you bet. They are also very popular for fleet service in commercial vehicles such as Semi Trucks. They are not at all uncommon on farm equipment as well.

I feel Baldwin makes a filter that exceeds any OEM filter, and is the best you can buy. You may have to hunt them down, but they are worth finding. Not the cheapest filter, not expensive in my thinking either. What is the health of your engine worth to you? In my profession it is everything.

·
Registered
366 Posts
What brand of oil filter would you suggest on my 4.7 V-8 other than the stock filter?? :ts:
What kind of oil do you run, and what is your oil change interval?

If you stick to 5k mile changes, the WIX filter( I think 51348?) can be found for less than $5 and is rated very high.

I think the M1-102 or the amsoil filter would be overkill unless you plan to run synthetic and extend your oci.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was running the walmart supertech for a long time, but recently they started looking a little shabby, both inside & out. They're now either made by Fram or they hired Fram people to run the line. :td:

I switched to Purolater Pure One.:tu:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fram was featured on the TV show 'How's that Made' and the line is fully automated. The quality of the construction which looked good was totally done by robotics. They also make a heck of a lot of other filters, some of which others rave about. high sierra

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Fram was featured on the TV show 'How's that Made' and the line is fully automated. The quality of the construction which looked good was totally done by robotics. They also make a heck of a lot of other filters, some of which others rave about. high sierra
Another way to brainwash you thats all. Just because it's made by robots doesn't mean anything. They filter, but by no means are they the best out there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions!! This web site is the best!!!! :ts:

·
Registered
39 Posts
i've been using stock OEM...it aint bad. i cant really tell the difference though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I always use the OEM one also. Often times you can get them from the dealer for about the same price as a Fram which I would never use. Also, if anything were to go wrong with the engine and I had to bring it in for warranty work, that's just one less thing they can blame me for. They say the darndest things to get out of warranty work. Had a bad experience with a Nissan Sentra SE-R I had about 10 years ago. Main bearing spun cutting off oil to two cylinders, and they fought me for 3 months so they wouldn't have to pay for the damage. They said my clutch had hotspots, I had an aftermarket exhaust, so they thought I was racing it. Then they said that I was using a non-oem oil filter, and they said that the Nissan one had one more filtering hole in it that my non-oem didn't have.
My favorite warranty fighting BS story was when my buddy brought his Silverado in because the power window regulator went out, and they said that it went out because of the TINT that he had put on and that it put extra WEIGHT and stress on the window regulator! Service employees at dealerships must have like a 6 month training program or something to learn the BS language, and I think the final exam is to speak it with a straight face.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts