Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a camshaft housing leak on any of the 07+ tundras? My truck was 4 months old and the leak was between the housing and the block. Toyota said it was " an acceptable manufactures defect" Anyone had this happen or dealt with Toyota Motor Corp. and had poor customer service?:mad:

·
Registered
859 Posts
When was this? Have you tried again since all the recall hullabaloo?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
a leak is never OK. some seepage used to be considered normal sometimes but i dont think anyone will say that about any type of fluid leakage or seepage nowadays. EPA surely doesnt want your truck leaking oil and if toyota designed it with an acceptable oil leak they would be shut down. your dealer is an idiot. find another one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealership fixed the leak and had to remove the engine to do so. The truck only had 8000 miles on it, practically brand new! Toyota corp said it was acceptable and told the dealership to repair it. The dealership has told me all of my different issues are quote " The truck was designed to operate that way", which I think is a BS answer. We went to arbitration and that was a joke even with 8 or 9 repairs with in the first couple of months. Everytime I took it in for something the dealership told me that and then the problem mysteriously went away???? Funny HUH. However I still love my Truck!!!! I just feel that Toyota took the QUANTITY not quality road.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Tundra's are now 85%+ made with american parts, so they will have more problems because of that.

I don't see the logic in it myself. Toyota's built their reputation on building highly reliable vehicles, and since the parts are being sourced here things aren't going to well. Back in the 90's, i NEVER had a problem whatsoever spending $2k more on a toyota vehicle vs. the others, but now evidentally Toyota feels they must stoop to the level of their competition. IMO, it's not the best way to go & i hope it will change, but what do we do?

I'd love to see this change, but i don't beleive it will.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
The dealership fixed the leak and had to remove the engine to do so. The truck only had 8000 miles on it, practically brand new! Toyota corp said it was acceptable and told the dealership to repair it. The dealership has told me all of my different issues are quote " The truck was designed to operate that way", which I think is a BS answer. We went to arbitration and that was a joke even with 8 or 9 repairs with in the first couple of months. Everytime I took it in for something the dealership told me that and then the problem mysteriously went away???? Funny HUH. However I still love my Truck!!!! I just feel that Toyota took the QUANTITY not quality road.
So it was fixed or not? I am confused from your post. You took them to arbitration on the oil leak? What other problems did you have with your truck?

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
It sounds like this is more of a dealer issue than anything else, I agree with 07dcwhite you need to find another dealer pronto.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is now fixed but only with a lot of frustration. I did take them to arbitration because of all the issues, but no luck. Some other issues I had were: Cold weather package not working, 4wd would knock real hard when shifted in 4hi, shifting in the rearend, the oil leak, ac compressor howling, Idling at 2k rpm all the time, hesitation when stepping on the gas, driver side rubber moulding coming off. Thats just off the top of my head, there was some other small things. I too thought it was the dealer, at first, but then I spoke with the customer relations rep from Toyota corp and he said all these issues were acceptable and they would continue to fix as long as they keep happening. Toyota tried to offer me the option of the 8yr/120,000 mile warranty(something I already have) in leu of all my problems. The funny thing is that all of these things mysteriously stopped working after I took the truck in for each, which tells me these are not normal issues.

The only one that remains is the 4wd knocking. Does anyone else have this issue? I was under the impression it was a "shift on the go" 4wd, but Toyota explaination is "It does this because the road is dry" Ha

I am definitely changing dealers, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts