Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Crew Max 5.7
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time changing plugs on 2010 crew max 29300 miles. Found oil on 3rd plug back on passenger side. What's going on? Been running OK except for bearings in water pump going.
Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Elaborate.

Is the oil on the tip of the spark plug in the combustion chamber? If so I would suspect valve stem seals first.

Or is it on the top of the spark plug where your coil attaches? There is a seal that goes along with the valve cover gasket if that is the case.

29300 miles or was that a typo? Did you mean 293000? 29k is pretty low for a 2010.

·
Registered
2010 Crew Max 5.7
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Elaborate.

Is the oil on the tip of the spark plug in the combustion chamber? If so I would suspect valve stem seals first.

Or is it on the top of the spark plug where your coil attaches? There is a seal that goes along with the valve cover gasket if that is the case.

29300 miles or was that a typo? Did you mean 293000? 29k is pretty low for a 2010.
Its 129300 miles. Thanks for the reply. After researching more, a few people have that going on and just left it with no other problems. Sounds like a gamble but also like an expensive fix and I cant do it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2010 Crew Max 5.7
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its 129300 miles. Thanks for the reply. After researching more, a few people have that going on and just left it with no other problems. Sounds like a gamble but also like an expensive fix and I cant do it. Thoughts?
My oil was at the tip.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A bigger issue, if that water pump is making noise I would install a timing belt/water pump kit (Gates kit from Rock Auto less than $200). Check You Tube on the procedures to do all at the same time. As stated , it will only get worse. Burning oil is nothing compared to a water pump going belly-up on you. Chap

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks, I never tore into a 5.7, but I am old and can't remember why I went into the next room most of the time. That's why I like "wrenching" it's either done or not. No matter how many times you have to recheck it... Chap

·
Registered
2014 Tundra TRD Offroad
2 Posts
The 5.7 is not a chain. I own a 2008 tundra with a 5.7 and have changed the water pump, thermostat and belt. Belt 100%
The 2008 Toyota Tundra has a timing chain for all it's V6 engines. The V8 engines vary - the 4.7 V8 has a timing belt, but the 5.7 V8 has a timing chain. This changed in the 2010 models, which all have timing chains.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The 5.7 is 100% a chain driven motor. The chain is buried beneath the timing covers.

The serpentine belt is a belt.

You’re confused.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts