Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 08 Tundra with 365,000 miles in for an oil change
They said the pan itself is stripped and needs to be replaced...what are the chances that is is actually worn out? Should I expect to have to replace the oil pan at this mileage or
Could someone have just over tightened or cross threaded it?
It's always been to a Toyota dealership for service...
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
While my tundra only has a little over 200k I have changed the oil from day 1 and my plug is just fine. My older toyota had 385k and the oil drain plug threads was just like new. Someone probably cross threaded it or hit it with a air wrench would be my guess. I would find a larger oil plug and tap it to the larger size. The tundra threads are quite small from my older toyota drain plug. If the pan was easy to replace I might just swap it out but I believe you will need to remove a cross member to get it out of there.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I had the same problem. It was years ago and on an Acura but same thing, idiots who think tighter is better. I had a good mechanic who was able to use a heli coil in it. I wouldnt want to tap it out unless you removed the pan to do this or risk shavings getting into the engine.
If its always been done at the dealership, and you can prove it, I would push back on them and make them fix it for free. They caused the problem so they should be the ones fixing it. Using a proper torque spec and a crush washer you should never have that problem regardless of the miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for your help, 5speed and Cheapskate...verified what I was thinking. I think this dealership likes to mess with anyone who they think won't push back....women..elderly etc. Hate to break it to them...but I can be b***** when provoked. lol
Thanks again for your help.
M

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Post back how you make out with the dealership.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yep I've seen it many times too. Mechanic stripped it no doubt..
Unless it was always changed by the same place hard to make them fix it free.

Most times you can put the next bigger pan bolt in. O'rielys sells up sized self tapping oil pan bolts that work well.. Replaced one on my neighbors 300m that Walmart stripped. $5 vs $250+ fix on hers.

I've always change oil myself for this reason. This and never really knowing what they're puting in my engine. Being most oil pans are now aluminum with no steel nut they strip easy. Some pans are even plastic now. Best of luck! Stand your ground because they did it, my Tundra has 352k and its threads are still perfect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you all. I have 408,500 on my first gen (2000). When I drove the truck more than I do now, I use to get my oil changed as often as I got my hair cut and never had a mechanic tell there was an issue with the oil pan plug. Lets us know how you make out with the shop.

Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got up to 308,000 on my Tundra and did all the oil changes after first 50K. Never had issue with drain plug threads. Was a mechanic forever and did more oil changes than I can remember and have seen this before. 100% it's the last monkey or 2 that cross threaded the thing in. Bolt don't magically go bad when they sit in an oil bath it's whole life and come out once every few months. Issue is proving who did it unless it was the same shop/dealer every time and they will still fight you on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I ended up writing an email to the service manager explaining the problems. He called today and told me they will take care of everything and give me a loaner car. They are also going to fix the skid plate bolts that were stripped. I think an inexperienced tech must have stripped the bolts...for it to have happened to both the oil pan and the skid plate...all in one visit.

They are going to do it Monday Nov 11th so hopefully I can report back with good news. I'm so glad they didn't argue with me. I said in my letter that I spoke with several mechanics about the issue.. so thanks to all who replied. I owe ya lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took my 08 Tundra with 365,000 miles in for an oil change
They said the pan itself is stripped and needs to be replaced...what are the chances that is is actually worn out? Should I expect to have to replace the oil pan at this mileage or
Could someone have just over tightened or cross threaded it?
It's always been to a Toyota dealership for service...
Thanks in advance for your help.
They should sent it to a welding shop for repair. was a radiator repairman 33 years, repaired oil pans all the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had the exact same thing happen to me. Challenged the dealer as I had always had them change my oil. They stripped it and was leaking oil all over my driveway when I got home. They tried to say it was existing issue, but I pulled in with no oil leaking and their 120 point inspection paper said the same thing. They agreed to replace the pan and clean my driveway and took care of everything at no cost to me...even a loaner for the inconvenience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts