Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the original equipment on a 2001 Tundra (3.3L) iron--as my memory tells me it is--or is it brass--as my mechanic tells it is? I had an oil change, it leaked oil, oil around plug .... could swear it was iron with a concave head, took it back--they said the plug was just loose so they tightened it ... plug is brass with a flat across head.

They're swearing all they did was tighten it--I'm thinking it's an over sized plug to push my complaint down the road--am I crazy? The OE plug answer will help restore me to a mea culpa or to push this harder.

Thanks.

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
I've done lots of oil changes on the 3.4 v6(there is no 3.3L) and they are all steel drain plugs. I would look into it because they might have crossthreaded your plug and used a brass one in its place. They should tap it out and put a bigger steel plug in to do it right or buy you a new oil pan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I meant steel (v iron) and I should have said 3.4 (v 3.3). I had a quick change oil place over-tighten a plug on a 94 Plymouth van (that was the 3.3L) and after a heated exchange, which stopped short of going to court ... they paid for the new pan. The Plymouth has an aluminum pan and a steel plug, so the pan gets the damage. The dealer told me there was only one way to fix it--replace the pan.

I had a 67 Ford with a self tapping plug in a damaged pan and it was a pain changing the oil and using gaskets and trying to tighten just enough to not further damage the threads ... the fix back then eventually was pan replacement.

Replacing the plug with a brass one makes no sense, unless it was a larger plug designed to temporarily remedy the oil seepage. If they just put in a new plug--maybe with a gasket, I don't think it would fix it.

The service manager had me doubting my memory. Due to a couple of health issues, it's more convenient to pay the dealer to do maintenance on my cars--nice to blessed well enough do that. However, I hate paying somebody to damage my car.

I appreciate your reply.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Actually it does mention the Tundra. If you go to the link
provided and go down and click on Toyota it will bring
up subcategories. Under <01> it says 1988 and on, all vehicles.
The Tundra is listed in there.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts