Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my oil today and noticed the oil pressure seems to be reading awfully low... It shows about 1/4 most of the time, sometimes up to 1/2, and then I stopped in the garage and watched it go to zero! I shut it off and checked the oil level and it's right on the dot!

So, I'm just curious what you guys see for oil pressure and if anyone has had a similar problem????

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a similar experience with regards the oil pressure, sometimes i glanced at the gauge and it is on "0", and I am running at 65MPH at that time.

Usually happens in the morning though... I guess it has something to do with the gauges not reading it right....

I have to mention it to the dealer when i take the SQ for it's regular check-up...

Allan

·
Registered
166 Posts
Same thing happened to me last July. The oil pressure gauge went to zero while on the freeway. I had a major panic and pulled over real quick. Dealer determined it was a faulty oil pressure sensor and changed it under warranty. :eek:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Have the same problem. I've written several threads regarding the issue. I have a Tundra and Sequoia. The Tundra guage reads normally (between 1/4 and 3/4, responds fast with RPM change, higher when cold than hot). The Sequoia guage used to read just like the Tundra. I even commented on how they were always the same. But at 8K, looked down once, its at zero at 60 mph. Stopped immediately. Start the engine back - everythings back to normal. Then it does it again and again, but more frequently. Took it to the Dealer. They adjusted the "gain." Then the water guage and volt gauge was HIGH, and oil pressure still low and erractic. Took it back to the Dealer enraged. They ordered a whole new gauge cluster (it is one piece and EXPENSIVE). In the meantime, I bought a oil pressure test gauge. Took off the sender and screwed it in (it has metric threads). 80 psig at cold idle, 25 to 35 psig at hot idle. So the engine does have normal oil pressure but the guage shows the wrong pressure. Dealer replaced the guage cluster, oil pressure now reads HIGH. I'm still enraged. They are now going to replace the sending unit near the oil filter. I think it has a wiring harness problem. If they don't fix it this time, I'm going to ask Toyota to replace the vehicle (5 times under 10K with oil pressure problems).

My advice, take the vehicle in. Have them replace BOTH the gauge cluster and oil pressure sending unit. Start with this. Please e-mail back any findings so we can share experiences. Maybe this is a common problem with the Sequoias.

Note that the Tundra and Sequoia have different oil pressure sending units even though the look exactly the same. They have different part numbers for some reason, one in which the Dealer cannot explain. In addition, the single wire going to the sending unit above the filter has 12VDC on the Tundra and 8VDC on the Sequoia. The dealer could not explain the difference. We tested another one (Sequoia) in the lot - that Sequoia had "normal" oil gauge readings and 8 VDC to the sender as well.

Well, there's the novel and mystery. Please add as necessary. Hopefully my pain will be your gain with your dealership and you'll get yours fixed faster than I am getting mine!!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm starting to question this whole Toyota Quality thing... I just called my dealer, he said the Sequoia gauge runs low, the pressure is fine, but the gauge shows lower pressure. One of the mechanics said at idle it is normal for it to go all the way to zero!!! What???

I also called Toyota Customer Service on another issue I have with mine (cold climate people may also be experiencing a vibration between 30-40mph). They are now telling me this is normal and to be expected in this vehicle.

Not too happy right now.... I've got a call in to my dealer Toyota rep, but she was in a class today! I'm "sure" she'll call Monday....

Mike

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Mike,
Don't get mad, don't get discouraged, and don't take, "No," for an answer. Keep at the dealer, or find a dealer that serves you better, and let the first guy know that you've let (how many thousand members?), anyway, lots of folks, know how poorly they treated a customer.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
MNSequoia said:
Well, I'm starting to question this whole Toyota Quality thing... I just called my dealer, he said the Sequoia gauge runs low, the pressure is fine, but the gauge shows lower pressure. One of the mechanics said at idle it is normal for it to go all the way to zero!!! What???

Mike
Actually, that dropping to zero (it's not zero) at idle *is* normal behavior and you'll see that is "within" the recommended range if you look in your owner's manual. It is in there if you'll flip through the pages.

BUT if stays at goes to zero when going fast, then there is a problem with the guage. (It's probably not the oil pressure).

If you want the pressure to be a little higher at idle put in 10w30 instead of 5w30 and you'll see it will probably stay about 1/8 higher at idle and a tad higher at operating temp too.

This is especially (or more so) true in hot weather. That is, weather above 80 degrees.

Isn't there a TSB on one of the guages?

Alan

·
Registered
487 Posts
The TSB is for the Temperature Gauge. I know all of the gauges are suspect and are worse than just having "idiot lights."

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
After a 1.5week of a timing belt job it's finally done. All fluids added and I start my truck up. It purrs as usual. I let it warm up and all sounds fine and gauses read normal but after 15mins, the oil gauge reads just a tick over the bottom line. I rev it some to bring the gauge up. It climbs really fast up to the last quarter and stays there even after I let off the gas. I shut off the engine and restart it and the gauge climbs right back up to the top. I later tried again 10min later and it reads low again, then as soon as I tap the gas it jumps back up and stays up. What's wrong? Is the oil sending unit pooped? I checked and rechecked all wiring and plugs and they're all plugged in.

·
Registered
315 Posts
ricqik said:
After a 1.5week of a timing belt job it's finally done. All fluids added and I start my truck up. It purrs as usual. I let it warm up and all sounds fine and gauses read normal but after 15mins, the oil gauge reads just a tick over the bottom line. I rev it some to bring the gauge up. It climbs really fast up to the last quarter and stays there even after I let off the gas. I shut off the engine and restart it and the gauge climbs right back up to the top. I later tried again 10min later and it reads low again, then as soon as I tap the gas it jumps back up and stays up. What's wrong? Is the oil sending unit pooped? I checked and rechecked all wiring and plugs and they're all plugged in.
The famous failed pressure sender. Covered extensively elsewhere on the site.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
There is a TSB on this exact issue. I took mine in to my dealer and it was fixed. They replaced the sending unit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts