Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
I am hearing noise other than the squeaking at my front end, 2001 Limited Tundra.( I hear there is no way to get rid of the squeaks) Steers straight, handles great with no vibrations but when parallel parking I hear a clunk when reversing into a parking spot. A quick inspection shows the rubber badly worn at the lower end of the front shock. Bushings???Anyone, anyone??? Original shocks and struts from factory so I guess its time to change them out. Anything else I should look for when the truck is at on the lift at the shop? My local shop is good and reliable but would like to have a bit of a clue when presented with the repair estimate. How many rubber bushings can also be bad up in there? Oh yeah, I park on the street in front of my house everyday which is adjacent to Biscayne Bay AKA (Atlantic Ocean).

·
Registered
567 Posts
Also check the ball joints, upper and lower. Those will probably need to be replaced also.

The clunk you here when going to reverse is probably just the brake pads shifting from the front side of the caliper to the rear. You can change out the retaining clips but not a huge deal. Just in case its not check the u joints on the driveshaft and the bolts holding the transmission on the crossmember.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Where does the clunk seem to be coming from? The front end or more like the under side where your trans/drive shaft are?
2WD or 4WD?

If it seems to be clunking somewhere up front, I'd check out everything, grab and wiggle, look for spilled grease. Upper arms, tires, shocks, outer tie rod ends, sway bar. Check the simple things too, check lug nuts to make sure they are all about 83lbs. When you reverse, the weight shifts and causes your front end to squat, this pushes your suspension and tires slightly rearward so something may have enough play to pop or clunk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts