Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy was driving my truck without me knowing to see how fast it would go. Im trying to break in the engine by trying not to speed and keeping the rpm below 2500. My buddy put the pedal to the medal, having rpms as high as 5500. I only have 2700 miles on it and wanting to know if there is anything I should be worrying about because of how he was driving it. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Break in period is 1000.

Guess what I did when I hit 1000 miles even? Good guess...

Anyway, pretty d!ck move to do that to your friends new truck if you didn't give him permission to. I drive my friend's cars like I'd be handling a Faberge egg.

-rockstate

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
It shouldn't hurt to open the throttle on a green engine as long as the engine has proper operating temperature and the "excursion" is brief. In fact some folks claim it is beneficial to do so, as it promotes proper ring seating etc.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My buddy was driving my truck without me knowing to see how fast it would go. Im trying to break in the engine by trying not to speed and keeping the rpm below 2500. My buddy put the pedal to the medal, having rpms as high as 5500. I only have 2700 miles on it and wanting to know if there is anything I should be worrying about because of how he was driving it. Thanks!
All I can say is your friend is a jackass :eek: but again, you are partially at fault for letting him drive.

I don't think a one time surge is a problem and you should be okay.

If your engine craps out during warranty or your CEL come "On", you now have a suspect.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
u didnt hurt it. think how many vehicles are full throttled on a test drive. whats the point in a test drive w/o it? break it in like u are going to drive it. crap, we get new cop cars and dont break them in. "oh sorry, we cant chase u till 500 miles"....bleh....break in periods are more for the drivetrain nowadays than the actual motor anyway. rear ends etc do more "breaking in" than a motor. aint hurt. enjoy it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The only thing that is bad for a new engine is to hold it at one rpm for too long. Break it in across the entire powerband if you want it to last a long time, baby your new motor too much and it will always want to be babied. The first thing i did when i purchased my brand new Crew Max was turn off the track-control button and boil the hides for at least 25 feet. I always break in my (new) vehicles this way and they always ran hard and strong until i sold them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was told there really wasnt a break in period, but I was gentle for the first 1k. I know how you feel about your friends messin with the ride.... had the same experience. My buddies decided to take my truck out in some deep puddles and mud holes when my truck only had about 2500k on it. They brought it back to me covered from head to toe with mud (even in the engine bay) Took me two weeks to get all the mud out of the bumpers, engine, undercarriage etc. They took my truck virginity!!!! Plus, I had to pull glass out of my fist cause I decided to pull a stupid move and take my anger out on a window at work. Awesome. Cheers.

·
Ford "Scorpion" whisperer...
14,373 Posts
Don't be alarmed, I buy new cars very often and like Barney says I also floor it sometimes when it's new and do some trailer towing also. Make sure that the tranny temperature cauge is reading the normal driving temp. and there's no harm done. The tranny temp. gauge is a excellent tool for when everything is warmed up. Your cooling fluid will rise much sooner, but that doesn't mean your oil is warm enough..

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I'd probably shoot him... or at least Taser him... or maybe both! What a douche-bag. :laser:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only thing that is bad for a new engine is to hold it at one rpm for too long. Break it in across the entire powerband if you want it to last a long time, baby your new motor too much and it will always want to be babied. The first thing i did when i purchased my brand new Crew Max was turn off the track-control button and boil the hides for at least 25 feet. I always break in my (new) vehicles this way and they always ran hard and strong until i sold them.
Yeah all of the miles on put on the truck so far has been "babied" because I try to keep the rpm as low as I can lol. But now that I know all this info I might just drive it normally.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Your truck should be fine. Who among us has not given into the 'temptation' while 'breaking in'? Otherwise we could probably sue Toyota for inflicting cruel and unusual punishment by putting such irresistible engines in Tundra trucks.:D

·
Registered
859 Posts
2500 miles? Thats a good 50 hours or so. Your engine is as broke in as it needs to be. Your buddy didn't hurt it. Just his chances of ever driving it again.

·
Registered
422 Posts
go break in his girlfriend for him and call it even.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
go break in his girlfriend for him and call it even.
The question is whether or not she is as sexy as a Tundra. Otherwise, that would not be fair. :D

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
2700 miles??? Ehh, it's fine. I babied mine for about 1000 (I did gradually floor it) and runs like a champ.

·
Registered
44 Posts
lmao....I would taze him, then follow up with the oc spray(mine is still oil based, lol). Maybe a little ASP action followed by a motor compression test...I think this would also fall under unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, lol. Nah....I wouldn't even flinch. I was told the same thing, no break in needed. I'd just level him for dogging your baby before you could.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts