Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Tundra, 4.7L with 435,000 miles on the original engine. Currently a 2.5" Lift front, 1" add-a-leaf lift rear on 315/70r17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs and 17x7.5 FJ Cruiser Wheels.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Well, I slid off the highway at 55 MPH on black ice the day before yesterday and totaled my truck, now it's time to rebuild and wheel it like it should be.

Land vehicle Vehicle Plant Plant community Ecoregion

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Pulled the bed off it last night, to see how bad the frame was bent/twisted. It's not bend too far out of true, just slightly down on the back right corner where the bed took the impact of the roll.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
392 Posts
Bummer... Time for some honest assessment as to which way to go with it. We all know with these trusty Tundra's the "need to repair or replace list can get long very quickly. Especially when you have to open it up for a serious look. Glad you are still here to tell about it. Chap

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, I first thought, well it's totaled, never going to see the road again until I got in it, started right up, and drove it right into the shop the other night to pull the bed. I have already found the drivers door, fender, new seats, and a replacement window for the back door. It may not be much of a truck now, but it's my truck, and I just can't let it go yet. I'll have it here at my house sometime next week to get it up in the air and figure out what's going on with the front suspension. The struts, springs, upper and lower control arms, steering rack, and all cam bolts and hardware are new in the last year so I just need to figure out if it's the lower control arms that are bent, or what's causing the extreme camber issue and I should be able to get it back to drivable condition. I'm considering a flat bed, but at the same time, this truck was really great with the original bed, so I'll probably look for one at the wrecking yards in the same color. I have the connections and knowledge to make this happen, so this here thread is my rebuild.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sounds like you have thought it through and are ready to get it back on the road. It is your truck and your call for sure. Keep us updated on the progress. Enjoy the adventure my friend... Chap

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I'm impressed at your industriousness and ambition. Keep us posted, I'm curious how it goes. I have a 2001 and am getting pretty fond of it, so I understand your drive to do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just towed it here to the house and the damage isn't all that bad. I think a control arm, and a Ball Joint, a used bed and tailgate from a wrecking yard, and the one window and I should have it back on the road.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
2 Posts
As others have posted before me, this is a very interesting thread and I admire your determination to keep your faithful Tundra on the road. It actually looks pretty good, once the bed came off. Looking forward enthusiastically to your progress reports.
Ralph

1 - 7 of 7 Posts