Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guess I'm going to find out if Jeeps and Toyotas play nice together. I just inherited a new toy.

picked up my grandpa's 1976 cj5 renegade this weekend. Truck pulled the approximate 14K lb load just fine. Some big hills gave the 4.6 a run for its money when fully loaded and fuel mileage was awful, but it got the job done. Looks like future mods for the tundra are now going to be in competition with the jeep restoration....

Attachments

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
that thing is awesome!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Man, what a great Jeep...that thing is a true heirloom! What a great rest. project for you to tackle...just make sure you tell the Tunny you still love her too, every now and then. I love the older CJ's with their round headlights...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Daisy Duke !!!!!

Fun rig bro!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
That is going to be a great combo. Good x you

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you're right Maylon - definitely an heirloom. I learned to drive in this thing, and it's been in the family for 25 years. Many good memories.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Cool looking jeep but is 14,000 lbs really accurate? no idea how heavy that trailer is but 14,000 seems pretty high....
yeah....wouldnt that make the trailer being about 10000-11000 lbs if you used the heaviest weight estimate for the jeep thats found online? IF it was 4000 lbs (its not) but if it was, you'd have a ten thousand pound empty flat bed trailer.....a u haul similar trailer is less than 3000 lbs....

so where did this 14k lb come from? unless you are doing combined weight for all of it.....then i still think ur high...(not as in smokey the pipey high...just estimating high)

but, the jeep is friggin cool.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice setup I upgraded to a tundra to pull my jeep. Your about 5k with that trailer and jeep. I assume the trailer is rated for 14k.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm guessing the 14k is combined. That trailer is at least 2,000 lbs... the Jeep... maybe 4,000. I've done this before... old Toy... new Toy...

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool looking jeep but is 14,000 lbs really accurate? no idea how heavy that trailer is but 14,000 seems pretty high....
10K lb trailer. way overkill for the jeep, but it's what I had available. Brand new tilt deck made out of I beam. Its for hauling heavy construction equipment. estimated jeep at 4K lbs but that may be closer to 3500.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
um...still no. that trailer isnt going to weigh 10k lbs.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
that trailer isnt 10k lbs.

this trailer isnt even up to 10k lbs in its largest size...

from tow master's webtsite for the T-10T like yours the thing doesnt weigh more than 3500 lbs. the capacity is 10k but not the weight of the trailer. :)

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
one last reply, empty weight for a 76 jeep by texas registration is 2700 lbs. so ur probally at 3000-3500. so maybe 6500-7000 lbs tops. half the weight you are claiming u towed haha. just tryin to help ya from sounding goofy in public.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks Barney - I took them literally when I picked up the trailer - they referred to it as the 10K lb trailer - guess they meant capacity. regardless - that thing is a beast and a hell of a trailer. Thats probably the most I'll ever pull behind my truck.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Love those old Jeeps man!! Have fun with it, you'll enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
one last reply, just tryin to help ya from sounding goofy in public.
THIS coming from a guy that runs out of gas IN A BOAT???? Bahahahahahha!!! :abduction:

·
Registered
401 Posts
THIS coming from a guy that runs out of gas IN A BOAT???? Bahahahahahha!!! :abduction:
He is our "self appointed" Hall Monitor. Give the guy some credit...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts