Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting the OME coil lift because I want a front winch bumper in the near future, and I have a few questions.

I'll need the HD heavy coils, which I have read are giving people 3.5 - 4 inches of lift. With this much lift in the front, I was thinking at least add-a-leafs in the rear. (and a diff drop up front).

Will I also need a block? and/or the longer OME rear shocks? Or am I okay with just the add-a-leafs?

I'll be putting on new tires, 35's of some sort, but the bumper probably won't go on for a couple thousand miles. I know the ride will be stiff, but other than that are there any real problems I could encounter from riding with 3.5 - 4 inches of lift on stock components until the bumper sags the front a little bit? I think the CV's should be okay but I'd like some input.

Thanks in advance.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Not sure but I think this is the lift that MorningGlory has...

·
Registered
179 Posts
I added 3 inches lift with a Icon coil over and upper control arms. I had to add 3/4 inch shackles and 1 inch blocks to the rear to mantain 3/4 of inch of rake (looks level to me). I also had cv clunk without the diff drop.. added the diff drop and all was good. With 4 inches of lift I'm not sure if a on inch diff drop will be enough. I'm sure a more experienced member here will be able to shine some light on this

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
You'll be pushin' it without the bumper.

My vote is to do it all at once, and OME says you need at the VERY least about 180 lbs to run that setup.

Heck, you could reach over 4" of lift without a bumper up front right now.

My brush guard at 112 lbs still nets me about 2.5" lift on the regular OMEs.... and although the extra inch woulda been nice for lift, I'm glad (in the long run) I didn't order the heavys.

Also, if you're not doing a winch, you can order the coils for the 4.7 with a bumper... and it will get you over 3" but not extreme angles. If I could have found those coils easily and without waiting another few weeks, that would have been the plan - but I didn't know that they existed really until after I placed the original order for the HDs (at which point I had them pull it off the truck and stack the regulars on).

-rockstate

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info.

I think you're right about trying to do it all at once. I'm just waiting to see how the funds sort out haha. I'll have a winch with the bumper so I should get the amount of weight for the HD coils.

If I go with the HD coils and a diff drop, and a bumper and winch... am I going to need anything in the rear other than add-a-leafs? I know new rear shocks will probably help the ride, but are they necessary?

What size tires do you think i can fit with this setup? I was thinking 34.5 - 35? Stock rims might limit my choices though.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Depending on the look you're going after, an AAL or some sort of helper to get the rear end up might be beneficial - especially if you carry a load and need more stability, then definitely an AAL or bags (but limit articulation).

Secondly, if you have the factory 18s, a 295/70/18 is a good choice for that look. It will be about 34.5" or so. Nitto makes two in that size - the Terra and Trail Grappler.

You'll love the OMEs. Honestly one of the best additions I've made to my vehicle - but I"m partial.

Also one of my friends (255 lbs) sat on the brush guard and the front sagged about an 1/8th of an inch.

Definitely go with the 5.7 HD coils as you will be having a winch (you already knew this).

-rockstate

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I was thinking at least an AAL in the rear, and maybe switch the rear shocks for Bilsteins/OME's/try to find a pair of TRD's someone takes off.

I think I'm going to wait a few months so I can do lift/bumper/winch/tires all at the same time. Almost positive I'll be doing an expedition one bumper with the pre-runner bar. Same bumper I had on my FJ and I loved it.

I'll check on the tires, I'm thinking 34.5/35 but for some reason I've never been much on Nittos. I need to do some research and see if anyone is running wheel spacers with stock wheels, I'm after a wide stance but don't really want new wheels.. probably paint the stocks.

As far as a winch, I think the superwinch epi9.0s should be strong enough?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
The OME rear shocks are better than the Bilsteins (their words, not mine) in that they're double walled or something or another.

I'd go with either the Bilsteins or OMEs b/c they're capable of dealing with the extra inch or so of lift in the rear (in other words, don't go back to stock... unless you really want to, but you probably won't feel the difference unless you do 2" or so).

The Expy One bumper isn't bad. Check out Justinfa (i believe that's his username). He's got a Kennesaw Mountain bumper with a winch. About same weight as you'll be running, and he ran with the OME HD coils and shocks for about 15K miles before selling 'em for coilovers.

Also, I'm a big fan of the bumper that OnpointTundra has on his truck... if you're looking for suggestions that might tickle your fancy.

As far as the winch.. I've always heard don't skimp out. Warns always come to mine, and Superwinch seems to come into play often.

Also, if it's any consolation prize, my buddy's running a 12 or 15K lb winch on his Duramax - but that weighs a lot... with about 500 lbs just in bumpers, then you throw on the lift, 35s, wheels, etc.

Good luck man.

-rockstate

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had the OME HD lift on my truck. I had an aftermarket winch bumper added at the same time. It rode stiff, then I added the winch. After the winch it rode great. I did also add a 2.5 inch block in the back. I ran the stock shocks in the rear and when I would go over bumps at faster speeds, it felt like the shocks were pulling up on the rear axle making it feel like the rear was losing traction. I added the OME rear shocks and that feeling went away. Also, been running without a diff drop since install.

The lift before the wheels and tires.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/126420-2-5-inch-ome-lift-2-a/

The lift after the wheels and tires
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/131374-325-65-r18-terra-grapplers-monsters/

Pics of everything in action.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/155827-cross-country-offroad-mountain-biking-trip/

Also, I just got a great deal on fox resi coilovers and now I am selling my front OME set up. Here is the link
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/gen2-tundra-classifieds-2007-current/190123-2007-2010-old-man-emu-tonneau/

Hope this helps

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have the OME HD coils in the front with an EXP1 bumper without winch. I have the full rear OME setup on order right now. Mine rides rough without the winch and has a negative rake with a 1" lift in the back. I got a full 3.5" lift from the front and have heard the back gives you around 3".

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
awesome, thanks for all the info guys.

jfa - are you happy with your bumper? with the base price nearly $1000 cheaper than EXP1, it's hard to pass up. What winch did you put in it?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I too have the OME in the front. Not the HD version. I did 1" block in the back with Bilstein shocks to account for the 1" lift. The ride with the OME/Bilstein combination is perfect.

You will definately want to wait for your winch before installing the HD lift. You will be riding nose high and the ride will be rough without it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
awesome, thanks for all the info guys.

jfa - are you happy with your bumper? with the base price nearly $1000 cheaper than EXP1, it's hard to pass up. What winch did you put in it?
I am really happy with the bumper. Took some adjusting after the initial install to get it right. I put the Smittybilty XRC10 in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts