Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read every thread I could get my hand on, and searched as much as possible but I can't seem to figure out if there is a definitive majority one way or the other on the subject.

I'm wondering it when doing the OME coils with Toytec Top spacer if it is neccessary to replace the shocks as well. Well...not so much as necessary, but what do people think about the ride with stock shocks vs. upgraded shocks. And on the subject of new shocks are people generally saying the OME shocks or the Bilstien 5100s?

Any help in this topic would be great to help clear my little head.

Thanks

Kai

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently performed the OME lift to my daughters 2006 2wd PreRunner Taco. The kit was great, complete and the ride with stock shocks was surprisingly smooth. There was some noticable stiffness but, overall the ride was very good. Do I think that a change of shocks would have made a difference? No. I decided to take it up in the hills behind us on some single track roads we race quads and bikes upon and it handled the ruts, whoop-de and small jumps nicely. The springs ToyTec chose for the front and rear area very good choice. I distributed Bilstein for a great many years, everything I own has them with the exception of her Taco.

We added 33s, Dick Cepeks newest off road radials and Moto Metal 950 18" rims. We did alter the inner forward fender well plastic by 1/2". Also, I shimmed the rear end to realign the driveline to the transmission. Overall, the kit is very simple to install but, get a shop to do the spring compressing; a hand compressor is not the way to go. With this setup the performance was virtually negligable and again, the ride overall with the OME and radials was comfortable.

I have bought my son the newest PreRunner and we are awaiting its arrival. This we will perform a 6" lift and I'll do most of my own fabrication. We will do King Coilovers for this and place 35s with a new rear diff.

Bob-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts