Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit some dead animal on the road this morning and 2 miles later I'm getting a flat. That's what I get for looking at some woman in a few cars over! I'm saving for new rims and tires and I had to blow 281.00 on a tire. Whatever I ran over put an 1 1/2 gash into the tread area.

Guys at the tire store had a bucket full of things that they've pulled from cars - forks, giant nails, razor blades, you name it.

Watch where you're going...

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
So how much newer is the new tire in relation to your other 3? which Tundra had the problem and why 281.00?:confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how much newer is the new tire in relation to your other 3? which Tundra had the problem and why 281.00?:confused:
My Tundra. A Goodyear Silent Armor was 240.00 and then there were fees. The older tires have about 32K miles on em.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
If you think it could be some time before you get your ultimate rims / tires, you might consider choking down a second new tire soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you think it could be some time before you get your ultimate rims / tires, you might consider choking down a second new tire soon.
That's what the sales guy suggested. I should have the money soon. BMF S.O.T.A.s are expensive...

Anyone else ever hit anything weird and have to buy a new tire???

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
That could go a different direction, but I wont take it there today.
That is the worst getting a new tire or two when you are about to get a new set of tires. I had that happen to me once, but I didn't hit anything, it just exploded. That was on a different car, not my truck. Maybe its superstition but I always tried to replace tires in pairs whenever possible.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
yep you always buy tires in pairs and always put the better ones on the rear, but if your getting new shoes soon it probably would not be an issue but 3 with 32K miles on them and 1 with no miles could be an issue if left on very long!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys. Need to start telling the wife about this buying tires in pairs rule...

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I guess the tire shop you went to didn't sell take off's or used tires? The tire shop I work at has a crap load of em, to many accually, but its mostly pure profit.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
yep you always buy tires in pairs and always put the better ones on the rear, but if your getting new shoes soon it probably would not be an issue but 3 with 32K miles on them and 1 with no miles could be an issue if left on very long!
Best onto the front all the time. Those are the steering tires, they wear faster, thats just how it is

·
Registered
640 Posts
New tires on front........ 60% of the stopping is up there and all the steering.............My .02

·
Registered
79 Posts
I hit some dead animal on the road.......Whatever I ran over put an 1 1/2 gash into the tread area.
I've never hit a dead animal that put a gash into a tire ??? :eek:

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
That's what the sales guy suggested. I should have the money soon. BMF S.O.T.A.s are expensive...

I bought brand new Bridge stone deulers. 5000 miles later hit a landscaping edge at 0.5mph and slashed a 5" gash through the tread and sidewall replaced the POS tires with Yokohama Geolanders ATS....

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Has anyone tried buying a shaved tire from Tire Rack?

This would allow you to match the tread depth of the other tire so as to not overstress the front or rear differential. You would then only have to buy one tire.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Is your spare still new?

You should switch out the "New" spare tire to the opposite side of the new Tire and use the used tire as a spare.... That'll solve the problem?:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spare is different size. I bought the truck a couple of years ago and the first owner made some changes. Taller, wider tires...
Called one store on the BMF wheels yesterday (345 each). Need to keep calling other places.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've ran over a mudflap that must have fallen off someone's car when getting off an exit. The screw that mounted the mudflap to whatever it had fallen off of had gotten caught in my driver's side rear tire.

After I ran it over, all I heard was the loud flapping for about 1/8 of a mile, so I pulled in to a parking lot to see what the issue was. I got out of my truck to see what was going on and saw the mudflap and it's screw in my tire's tread. Since I was only about a mile from my house, I just drove back there. In that distance, the mudflap had broken off, but the screw remained. When I got back into my driveway, I located the screw and removed it.

The next day I came out to a completely flat tire (as I figured it would be), so I wound up having to drive my car to work during the week so I could have some free time on the weekend to change the tire. That took a couple of hours (first time changing a truck's tire as opposed to a car's, different jacks, jacking points, tire location/weight, etc...) but got the spare on there without issue.

A week later I purchased a single tire (to go on the rim with the flat on it) to replace the spare, but since I plan on replacing the rims with ones off a newer (05-06) Tundra soon enough anyway, I figured just one new tire will suffice for now. I also plan to run dedicated winter tires on my current rims when I get the new set, too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts