Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Locking differential!!!!!!!!!! By all means, someone correct me if I'm wrong. A 4wd truck with LSD that gets in a bind will only have two wheels spinning at all times (one front, one rear). At least with a locker, you could have three wheels pulling 100% of the time. I think a locking diff makes a world of difference. In 2003, I bought a DC 4wd Tacoma with locking diff., my buddy had a 2002 Ford FTX 4wd with LSD. After consuming an absurd amount of beer, he kept talking smack that he could pull me around with his truck. We chained up hitch to hitch. As God as my witness, my locked 4wd Tacoma pulled his full size truck about four feet until he applied his brakes. And just before I bought my Tacoma, I test drove a Tacoma 2wd prerunner with a locking diff and I thought that was a pretty good set-up. Anyway, now I have a 05 DC Tundra 4wd with a LSD. Until it's paid for, I will never put my Tundra in a bad 4wd situation. But I guess it would be nice to know you had a locking differential.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
LSD is a pretty good option for what we have and how we use our trucks for the most part.

A locker is a nice option, but it can have some drawbacks, like sideslip in icy/muddy conditions. LSD will give us a good compromise between full lock and full open.

Also, for those that REALLY want a locker, my bet is that the FJ's or LC's come with either an electric or mechanical locker that would bolt into our Axlehousings.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would be happy if we had a real LSD instead of the open diff. brake activated so called LSD.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
You're right, there is no comparison between a real locker and a LSD in situations where one wheel on an axle might be off the ground or in really soft stuff....maybe a good compromise would be something like what the rear of Jeep Rubicons have. Their rear end is LSD and with a push of a button, turns into a real locker. On the FJ Cruiser, the rear locker cannot be used in conjunction with the A-TRAC system, which effectively makes it a 3-wheel drive with the rear locker activated. The locking differential in the H2 Hummers can be activated along with the brake-controlled tractiion control. Another problem with the FJ system is that it can only be used in Low Range under a certain speed...sometimes it would be nice to have a fully locked rear end in High Range or even at higher speeds in Low Range like blasting through a long muddy area where you cannot crawl through.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts