Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is getting very close to decision time. My very faithful 00 tundra AC SR5 V-8 will turn 200K in a month or so and I am facing many trips hauling a 2 horse slant load trailer from PA to NC and back, then to Fla, then to St Louis Mo. over the next few months.

I keep hearing the new Tundras are great BUT not like the 1st gen tundras of old. should I look at the Ford or Dodge diesels. I hope this will be my last truck purchase for a long time, 10+ years, so I want durability and longevity. Will I find the new Tundra comparable or better than my old one?

I also want to upgrade my trailer to a 28' + goosneck with living accomodations but that will come later in a year or two and haven't seen many tundras on the horse circut

your comments are appreeciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
No man you have to buy new Tundra this is the Best Truck out there
Trust me I have 2009 duble cab 5,7. 8' box and this is what you need for next 10-15 yers.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Only time will tell on the durability and longevity for the 2nd gen Tundras, but I would take my chances on a new Tundra over a Ford or Dodge anyday.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Look for the heavy haulers that are on TS.
The truck blows away my '02 as a road trip/medium hauler/daily driver.
The back seat(DC),front seat,Interior lighting,storage and controls are much better.
But for your HD use you gotta ask Tomhole or Tundrabay.
Do some searching around to find the guys that really load them.
My thought on an oilburner is a late '06 early '07 Dodge/Cummins.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It is getting very close to decision time.
I also want to upgrade my trailer to a 28' + goosneck with living accomodations but that will come later in a year or two and haven't seen many tundras on the horse circut

your comments are appreeciated
The limiting factor is probably going to be payload. Personally, if I were considering pulling a horse trailer with living accommodations and was going to be pulling long distance very much, I'd lean towards a 3/4-ton diesel with a 2k+ payload rating. I don't really know Dodge/Ford, but the GM 2500HD has a 3k payload rating. That said, I'm sure that if you think it through re: tires and such, that the Tundra can be configured to get the job done. So, your first stop is the horse trailer lot rather than the truck lot. Get the specs on what you think you want, and go from there.

All of the modern trucks are built well, so you really need to focus on your towing needs, balanced with daily use, and your pocketbook.

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
I moved up from a 2000 Tundra to the 2 gen Tundra, same 5'er. I pull about 8,000 lbs with ease and I do mean ease, the old Tundra struggled some with the steep grades in mountains. Like mentioned the big decision should be based on the trailer you are planning to pull, and hitch weight will be the biggest issue. I did upgrade my tires to "E" rated and surely would not even consider pulling my 5'er with the stock P-metrics. I also added over-load springs from Hellwig to keep the truck level when loaded up; like right now it has a generator and an S-load of firewood back there, then add the hitch weight of the 5'er. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but the GM 2500HD has a 3k payload rating. .
I have made the Fla trip non stop (19 hours) in a new GM2500 with deisel and allison trans pulling four horses and gear in a 6 horse gooseneck. On a scale of 1-10 I would give the truck a 10+ for performance it didn't flinch, but as for comfort GM really blew it, I couldn't wait to get back to my 9 year old Tundra. for a four door double cab the back seat was useless, absolutly no leg room and front seat after 4-5 hours was really uncomfortable. my partners and I dorve in 4 -5 hour shifts, I ended up napping in the goose neck while some one else drove therefore GM is out of the question. My last ford for which I had for 9 years and liked gave up the ghost at 135K needed new engine that's why I thought Dodge with cumins however my first choice would be another Tundra, so far my '00 has out performed any other truck I have driven or owned. Just didn't know about the new gen trucks since the Tundra has grown up in size to compete with the Fords, GM's and Dodges.

thanks for your comments. I'll try to check out Tundra Meet in Philadelphia in September

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you just want to compare '00 Tundra to '10 Tundra (without getting into diesels), there is no comparison. I went from an '02 AC to '07 DC, the second Gen is a major improvement in every way.

I thought my 1st Gen was amazing, that's why I bought another Tundra. Not sure if you mentioned whether or not you have test drove one, but you should.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Only time will tell, my 00 has been and still is great, cannot believe how well it still runs. My new 07 Gen 2 has only 24000 miles and Im convinced its better than any other brands of trucks but will be hard to beat the 00 approaching 250 k quickly.I will let ya know in @ 9-10 years unless the 00 never quits, then the 07 will sit in wait in basement just for lil show off trips.I dont wanna put a scratch, ding or even get it dirty until its a have too deal. May have her payed off before it ever has to see a dirt road or haul a deer.Trusty 00.Ive been blessed , maybe twice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I pull a 3 horse 8' short wall living quarters with my 07 Double Cab without problem. However I do exceed GVWR on the rear axle due to the pin weight. It is a calculated risk of premature failure that I choose to take. I have owned several 3/4 ton trucks before but down sized to the Tundra for an increase in overall comfort. If you are squeamish about exceeding the manufacture ratings and you are thinking about anything bigger than a 6' short wall quarters, the Tundra is not for you. If you understand how and why the manufactures rate their products and can balance that against how you will use the truck, the Tundra is a very capable machine. I am extremely satisfied with the way mine tows my trailer.
Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts