Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I bought another DC. Sold my last one a good while back when I got divorced. Found the current one in Myrtle Beach. It's a 2006 with almost exactly 14,000 miles. I couldn't find a stone chip on her anywhere. Paint and interior is awesome! She had been slightly rear ended at one time because I could see slight deformity in rear bumper. Everything underside looked fine.

She's due for new tires soon. Prior to buying new tires, I was thinking of a 2-3" lift, but want to keep the price down....no off-roading in my future.

Since these have been out for a good while, surely there are a couple highly recommended lifts (or leveling kits) for under $750??? Any advice greatly appreciated. Once again...not interested in off road, just want to put on slightly larger tires and lift up the front mostly.

Many thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Beautiful truck!

I have a 2006 Double cab. About two years ago, I installed a set of adjustible coil-overs (Camburgs) and have tremendously pleased. They show ZERO signs of wear and took me about five hours to install. Toughest part was adjusting them. I put a set of Michelin P285/70/17's on it and couldn't be happier.

I'm in Hanahan if ya need an extra set of hands to install em.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's a nice truck. I've always been a fan of the way the X-SP package improves the truck's appearance. :tu:

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
nice rig. i just went through the whole bumper replacement routine (bought it dinged up) and what a pita. the rear reinforcement bents almost by hand so chances are that is bent and won't align back up with a new bumper. if it does, it will probably leave the bumper not sitting perfectly. if you have to go this route and replace the reinforcement, make damn sure the one you buy isn't bent in the slightest........because its all but impossible to bend the two mounts back to their original shape/placement.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
That color is sweet....and those wheels look awesome. ;) Nice find, congrats!

:tu:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Looks good, everyone seems to recommend the bilstien adjustable shocks up front. I think it can gain up to 2.5 inches to level it out. Other lifts are a spacer on top of the coil. Thats what im running with lifting the front 3" also added 2" blocks in the back. I liked to keep a bit of rake so when i loaded up or hauled a trailer my back wasnt sagging tremendously. Also when you do lift the front either way, I'd recommend looking up the hose clamp mod. Will save you from cleaning grease flung from the cv boots. 285 tires are a common size to go with after a leveling kit too. Again nice lookin truck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am running the toytec left 3" spacer in the front and a 1" add a leaf in the rear I dont do a whole lot of off roading either and I love my lift. It will run you about $300 cause you need to by the extended U Bolts which arent included but I highly recomend them. Nice truck not that bad on miles either they must have never drove it anywhere. If your looking for tires that got a rough look but still get good miles and wear good, get some Nitto Terra Grapplers. But to each there own. Really nice clean truck.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I find it strange that a 06 would only have 14k on it. Possible I guess. Then again that means in sat somewhere unused for a while and thats not always good. Other than questioning that part of the deal it looks great.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies and advice. I checked both the CARFAX and AUTOCHECK and the truck showed constant use...just not much of it.

About the Nitto Terra Grapplers... I just drove a 2008 DC the other day that had those and I was amazed at how quiet they were and how well they drove. Once I lift the truck with a 2.5 or 3" lift, what size tire will work with my 20" rims? Would the rims I have look good with some 295/60/20's? I think my rims were an optional rim on the FJ Cruiser? Not sure.

I see from some research a lot of folks have problems with their CV joints after the 2.5 or 3" lift. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
This might be a noob question or an interesting question, but for a 14,000 mile vehicle, wouldn't the fact that you need new tires soon raise questions on wether or not it actually has 14,000 miles on it or if they rolled back some?
Again, noob. But, yeah, 14,000 miles on tires is NOTHING. Did you get a carfax on it?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the concern. Autocheck and CARFAX showed constant use up to the current mileage...just recently. Since these are not stock tires and rims, I'm going to assume the previous owner removed the stock rims and bought this set used. With both CARFAX and Autocheck showing constant use up the the current mileage, there is certainly no roll back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Ready Lift 3/1 lift kit is awesome. 3" spacer for the front and 1" block for the rear. No problem with this lift at all.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I see from some research a lot of folks have problems with their CV joints after the 2.5 or 3" lift. Any thoughts?
I dont do much off roading and I have a spacer 3" lift. The first day I didnt do the hose clamp mod. Flung a small amount of grease on the way home. Did the hose clamp mod the next day and no problems since. but ive only put on about 10k km. just my 2 cents.

Oh you might also want to throw in a diff drop for the front. Only drops a small amount but its cheap enough to maybe save a little angle.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Search for "CV boot mod" and "diff drop". I would highly recommend both.

Many of us who went the "Bilstein 5100" (another search) route are way happy. The fronts are ride height adjustable but they are strut replacements and do not include new front coils... so they can not be adjusted after install (without removal). Some have run into an issue with the front upper ball joint contacting the coil spring (when bouncing around :)) after lifting up a few inches... the fix is new after market UCA (upper control arms). Since you won't be 4 wheelin it may never be an issue.

Search for that tire size you are looking at before purchase to check for clearances... or if you have a good tire shop you work with put them on and check for rubbing

Welcome to the club... I love my DC

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
This might be a noob question or an interesting question, but for a 14,000 mile vehicle, wouldn't the fact that you need new tires soon raise questions on wether or not it actually has 14,000 miles on it or if they rolled back some?
not necessarily. my dad is on his 3rd set of tires on his '01 Camry with 19K miles. why? sun, heat, and lack of use causes tires to be weather checked.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for the concern. Autocheck and CARFAX showed constant use up to the current mileage...just recently. Since these are not stock tires and rims, I'm going to assume the previous owner removed the stock rims and bought this set used. With both CARFAX and Autocheck showing constant use up the the current mileage, there is certainly no roll back.
Those might actually be stock rims for the X-SP. I'll have to look at a few around here again, but it seems like I've seen those wheels a few times.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Please let me know what you find out. I've looked at tons of these, the exact year and model with the X-SP package, and not a one had these rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
awesome find man, i would try to see how many recall services it has had. since it only has 14k it probably didn't make it out to get some free parts put on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts