Toyota Tundra Forums banner

What size rim should I buy with 35" tires?

• 18"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20"

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be upgrading to 35" tires and was wondering what size rim I should go with. 18" or 20"?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I currently have 17" rims. My wife is going to be buying this set-up for me. I'm leaning more towards the 18" rims right now, but she wants the 20" rims.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been searching the net for pictures of 35" tires on 20's and 18's. I think I'm starting to like the 20" look. The only thing I know for sure is that I better make up my mind quick before my wife decides not to buy me anything! :angrywife: :becky:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got my tires and rims yesterday. I went with the 20" Fuel Hostage. I hope to have these on my truck in a couple of weeks. I gotta finish my lift and get a safety check before I put these on.:D

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't complain. My wife wanted me to get 20's and she's paying for them too. It was a win-win situation for me.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Mazu - what kind of rubber are your blingers wearing? They are going to look the business on your Tundra! Looking forward to see you rolling down the road on your new shoes in a few weeks!

p.s. check the HILO thread over at CT :D

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went with the 35x12.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers. I just had to try the newest Nitto tire. I like the fact that they aren't overly aggressive like the Mud Grapplers, but they still got some meat to them. Hey stone, we should start a Hilo TS Member thread over here. LOL!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Johnny you must be up pretty late. It's 10:30 pm over here so it must be 2:30 in Montana. It's time for me to count sheep. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does switching to 20" make a big difference in Mpg I am at the same problem. I found a set i love but not sure if i should just stick with 18' ?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Does switching to 20" make a big difference in Mpg I am at the same problem. I found a set i love but not sure if i should just stick with 18' ?
I think tire size is a bigger variable than rim diameter when it comes to MPG. A 20" rim mounted with a 31" tire would give you better gas mileage than a 15" rim mounted with a 44" tire.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I just bought 2 Pro Comp XTC's (35x13.5x18). Gotta save up to buy the other two.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The truth of the matter... wheel size has no affect on mileage. It is the total diameter of the tire that makes the difference along with the aspect ratio. the larger the aspect ratio the more flex to the tire and typically the more rubber that meets the road. Notwithstanding too narrow a rim which would have the opposite affect. Wider more aggressive grip makes for more rolling resistance and therefor poorer mileage. MpH readings on your speedo increase as tire diameter increases. You need to consider that calculation when determining your mileage. You wind up traveling farther over an hour time frame if traveling at the same speed but your odometer will be a few miles short. Check out various tire size calculators by googling. Lots of charts to compare. Finally, My opinion... 295/60/20 R Terra Grapplers on 9x20 LTI rims The tire is 34.46"in diameter and looks great with a 12.36'" wide foot print. No lift required albeit, I'm going with a 1.5" front spaces to level the truck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts