Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I haven't been a member very long but one thing I seem to be good at is sparking a debate and playing the devils advocate.

Here's the deal... I own a 2005 v6 6spd Toyota Tacoma w/ 23k. I have run dino oil in it since I bought it @ 15k. Yes, based on a previous post it is Pennzoil (or Toyots Dealer oil). I admit to compaining about the cost of Mobil 1. Well, anyways--I normallly average about 10k a year. I am now about to accept a job with Agfa Healthcare. They provide a company vehicle. That means my Tacoma may now only see about 3k a year.

Since the shift in job and shift in vehicle usage. I am considering changing to Mobil 1 for all my oil changes.

Thank you for reading this far... there is a couple questions in here. My first question is: how will the vehicle handle not being used as much? I've heard from a few friends that taking a vehicle that is used normally and parking it can be a problem (major change in usage). Any thoughts?

Next (and most important) question, since I'm thinking of switching to Mobil 1. Based on a previous thread I know I can easily switch to Mobil 1 @ 23k BUT how should I treat the vehicle? I've been told by my brother in-law (through actual experiance) that sledom used vehicles should have the oil
filter changed every three months regardless of miles since the filter can rust and leak.

Should I expect to replace just the oil filter every 3-6 months regardless of mileage? OR... should I replace both oil and filter at that time? When should I replace them (oil and/or filter) in a low mileage vehicle? I' m looking for maintenance thoughts for low mileage vehicles..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is kind of what I was thinking, Just needed some feedback. I considered (for a short time) selling the Taco BUT 1) We need a truck & 2) We love the truck. I'd much rather continue to pay it off just maintain it the best I can. If the wifes vehicles fails for any reason she can always use the Taco. If I get this job I plan on using Mobil 1. It is worth it to me considering the low usage and exceptional protection. I was considering a 6 mo filter change and 3k oil change. I'm just glad someone else agrees! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
You do not need to change your filter every 3 months nor do you need to start the truck every few days. Toyota recommends oil changes every 6 months or 5k miles. Your truck can sit for months without being started. If it sits for a long time just check for squirrels and cats under the hood before starting. I have a car that uses Mobil 1 from the factory and oil changes are recomended 1 year or 10k miles. I have gone 1.5 years with only 5k miles and had the oil lab tested and it was like brand new. Toyota does not recommend this but just shows you that Mobil 1 holds up fine.

·
Registered
290 Posts
^I think it more predicated on where you live. I would agree if you lived in a dry-climate like Arizona..a car sitting for months on end would probably cause little or no damage. If you have your vehicle stored in a climate controlled environment the same would hold true. However; most of us are not privy to those conditions and my experience has been a vehicle that sits does cause or expedites the following: dry-rott/corrosion/rust... to only mention a few. Yes, the oil will probably be fine...but as far as structural body and moving parts are concerned a vehicle left idle for a extended period of time will develop problems.

·
Registered
447 Posts
^I think it more predicated on where you live. I would agree if you lived in a dry-climate like Arizona..a car sitting for months on end would probably cause little or no damage. If you have your vehicle stored in a climate controlled environment the same would hold true. However; most of us are not privy to those conditions and my experience has been a vehicle that sits does cause or expedites the following: dry-rott/corrosion/rust... to only mention a few. Yes, the oil will probably be fine...but as far as structural body and moving parts are concerned a vehicle left idle for a extended period of time will develop problems.

exactly! :tu: why would anyone just let any vehicle sit there for "months at a time" without being cranked or driven a little bit? beats the heck outta me!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mobil 1 testing has shown it holds up extremely well on many fronts. Most quality synthetic manufactures now say you don't have to wait until you've accumulated several thousands of miles before you switch over to synthetic. In fact, Amsoil now recommends the switch at 500 miles and even sooner without doing any damage due to what some perceive as a lack of break-in.. There has been extensive testing by Amsoil and other's that prove this. I would not recommended waiting until 23K especially if you plan on having the vehicle sit most of the time. As far as changing the oil filter every 3-6 months because of it rotting out..thats a new one to me, however; I can see that happening with an inferior filter. Amsoil filter's are designed to last a year and I personally think even thats probably a stretch.
Ok, I haven't been a member very long but one thing I seem to be good at is sparking a debate and playing the devils advocate.

Here's the deal... I own a 2005 v6 6spd Toyota Tacoma w/ 23k. I have run dino oil in it since I bought it @ 15k. Yes, based on a previous post it is Pennzoil (or Toyots Dealer oil). I admit to compaining about the cost of Mobil 1. Well, anyways--I normallly average about 10k a year. I am now about to accept a job with Agfa Healthcare. They provide a company vehicle. That means my Tacoma may now only see about 3k a year.

Since the shift in job and shift in vehicle usage. I am considering changing to Mobil 1 for all my oil changes.

Thank you for reading this far... there is a couple questions in here. My first question is: how will the vehicle handle not being used as much? I've heard from a few friends that taking a vehicle that is used normally and parking it can be a problem (major change in usage). Any thoughts?

Next (and most important) question, since I'm thinking of switching to Mobil 1. Based on a previous thread I know I can easily switch to Mobil 1 @ 23k BUT how should I treat the vehicle? I've been told by my brother in-law (through actual experiance) that sledom used vehicles should have the oil
filter changed every three months regardless of miles since the filter can rust and leak.

Should I expect to replace just the oil filter every 3-6 months regardless of mileage? OR... should I replace both oil and filter at that time? When should I replace them (oil and/or filter) in a low mileage vehicle? I' m looking for maintenance thoughts for low mileage vehicles..

·
Registered
108 Posts
When we bought a Highlander we parked a Taurus SHO to use as our spare car. That was about 18 months ago. The SHO ran great when parked. Now it gets driven about once a month. In the 18 months since it was parked it has developed some electrical issues (electric mirrors work intermittently, alternator light flickers, and the hazard lights come on randomly all by themselves). The paint is taking a hit and moss is growing in nooks and crannies (like inside the mirrors). The electric antenna will no longer go down all the way. The brake rotors rust very quickly and the tires are checking. To top it off the interior is starting to smell musty. Here in Oregon it's very wet which causes some of these problems, but even if it were parked inside a garage condensation issues would occur unless the garage was heated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a 95 Nissan pickup that I went from driving about 25K a year to about 2k a year...I changed the oil every 6 months (whatever cheap oil Jiffy Lubed used at the time) and when I sold it a few years ago with 97k miles it had no issues at all.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:) The truck will still be driven just with less frequency. I'm not about to pay for the vehicle to just sit in the driveway. I've decided to switch to Mobil 1 and change the filter every 4-6 mos regardless of mileage (unless of course I hit 3k before that, then the oil will be changed also)

I love my Taco to much to neglect it! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts