Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone....I bought my car new in May....washed and waxed it immediately...and wash it every week, as well.....Today...after washing it...my car is white...I noticed tiny orange spots on the front and rear bumpers...is this something that a clay bar will get rid of?
Also...I p urchased the Turtle Ice clay bar kit...but noticed that it is an abrasive clay bar...which I don't feel I should use on a 3 month old car...HOwEVER...are ALL clay bars abrasive?...and if so..what are my other options for removing these orange dots?...and if a clay bar is clear coat safe...can anyone recommend one?

Thank you
Melissa

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys..I have a couple of other questions, as well...is it safe to clay bar as often as you want?...Also...Iwon't be able to "treat" these "rust" spots for a week or two...am I risking damage to my paint by waiting to clay the car?.....I will not be driving it and it stays under a car cover...Thanks again

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a silver Tacoma before the Tundra and I would clay bar it every spring because of the orange specs in the paint. I used the maguiers kit, I'm sure they are all similar.

I can't say for sure what the orange specs are but was told it was break dust(don't know how accurate that is), it looked more like road tar to me. When you are washing your car you can get rid of them if you srcub them alot, although the claw bar will get rid of them alot easier.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Sounds like you have rail dust rusting on the clear coat. I would clay bar it ASAP (real claybar).

I would claybar your truck every few months.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sounds like you have rail dust rusting on the clear coat. I would clay bar it ASAP (real claybar).

I would claybar your truck every few months.
What is rail dust?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys...I am going to clay the car tomorrow after work..I have a Turtle Wax brand Ice clay bar...but it advertises that it gets out light scratches....which I have heard that clay bars are supposed to be NON-abrasive...so I am going to purchase another clay bar kit....being that the car has no scratches...it is new

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey everyone....I bought my car new in May....washed and waxed it immediately...and wash it every week, as well.....Today...after washing it...my car is white...I noticed tiny orange spots on the front and rear bumpers...is this something that a clay bar will get rid of?
Also...I p urchased the Turtle Ice clay bar kit...but noticed that it is an abrasive clay bar...which I don't feel I should use on a 3 month old car...HOwEVER...are ALL clay bars abrasive?...and if so..what are my other options for removing these orange dots?...and if a clay bar is clear coat safe...can anyone recommend one?

Thank you
Melissa
well for one thing our white tundra's don't have a clear coat, and was asking the same question the other day to a saleman and said it was acid rain? not sure if that's right either but he said the guys use silly putty and that works good apperantly so try it and see, I'm still looking for some lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually...I don't have a Toyota Tundra...found this site on google...lol...and have a hard time registering on autopia...but does everyone agree that I should go for the Meguire's clay bar?..or is there another brand someone can suggest...I'm hitting an AutoZOne tomorrow......

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Mothers Clay. Meguiars is not very aggressive, Mothers is more aggressive and will pull out more contaminates in the paint. No clay will harm the paint if you use it right.

IMO, throw the ICE clay away. It's no good and will not remove anything but $17 from your pocket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mothers Clay. Meguiars is not very aggressive, Mothers is more aggressive and will pull out more contaminates in the paint. No clay will harm the paint if you use it right.

IMO, throw the ICE clay away. It's no good and will not remove anything but $17 from your pocket.
Yeah...read reviews of the Ice clay..will toss it...I am a bit of a worrier, though...and will not be able to do the claying until Saturday....being that I keep the car out of state....at my brother's house..(weekend car...I live in the car-unfriendly city...lol)...is waiting until then going to cause irreversible harm to my paint?

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
No, it's just rail dust caused by the car being shipped by train and their brakes causing mettalic particles to fall on your paint and rust. You should be fine to wait however long you want.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I doubt it is rail dust, there haven't been any trains here on the island since 1988. I would have agreed with you if I only had the spots first when I got the truck but I have them every spring. I guess it could be brake dust from the vechile itself, but if you watch when you wash the spots it will break up like a tar deposit, wierd... Whatever it is, we know how to get rid of it,lol

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Trains ship cars from all over the country, so it's likely it is rail dust.

It also could be mulch spores sticking to the paint.

·
Registered
777 Posts
My white 1995 Camry gets these all the time. They come right off with no problems, this car is waxed two to three times a year. They are generally on the lower part of the doors and front fender. They are never above the rubber molding strip. I can't remember the last set of tracks I even drove over in the last 14yrs I have owned the car. It must be brake dust from the car itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rail dust from shipping on a 4 year old truck that's been washed and waxed frequently. That's pretty funny.

I washed my white RW today and saw the spots all over it. Definitely looks like rust. It's not spores in -6 degree weather. I'll clay bar and wax it this week and see if it comes back.

The orange spots on the bumpers is rust. Have them replaced.

·
Registered
97 Posts
All clay bar has very mild abrasive substance which is just right to tackle and to remove dirt. But in you case a plastic blade/ scraper would be more efficient followed by polishing the paint.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts