Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just had to post or do something out of excitement.
I ordered it to match my Bass boat. I got the DC limited with the TRD exhaust on it. I also ordered a sunroof on it. Dealer wasn't sure if factory would install it on the limited but if not they will put a factory one on it.
I went to one dealership and the guys were clueless on the new specs, colors, etc...
Finally I went were the service was exceptional!

8 WKS OR SO?

oH GOD!

Rob in wilb. MASS

·
Registered
117 Posts
So the dealer is manually going to install a sunroof? You're not suppose to be able to get a sunroof from the factory in the DC, only the CM. How did you pull that off?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the dealer said that if the factory did not install it they would put a factory toyota sunroof. Apparently they do it all the time.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
the dealer said that if the factory did not install it they would put a factory toyota sunroof. Apparently they do it all the time.
The factory will not do it, the dealer is going to put in an aftermarket sunroof. Aftermarkets can be nice if done right, but they are lying to you about it being "factory".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The factory will not do it, the dealer is going to put in an aftermarket sunroof. Aftermarkets can be nice if done right, but they are lying to you about it being "factory".
You are prob. right. In their defense I may be misquoting.
They said if the factory did not do it they would put one in like the factory.
I know they would not lie to me, it is owned by my family :rolleyes:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hi guys, just had to post or do something out of excitement.
I ordered it to match my Bass boat. I got the DC limited with the TRD exhaust on it. I also ordered a sunroof on it. Dealer wasn't sure if factory would install it on the limited but if not they will put a factory one on it.
I went to one dealership and the guys were clueless on the new specs, colors, etc...
Finally I went were the service was exceptional!

8 WKS OR SO?

oH GOD!

Rob in wilb. MASS
God bless you, man. I gotta give you credit for having faith. It's not everyone who would allow a dealer to cut a hole in the top of their brand new 07 Tundra to stick a sunroof in. I know if done right it will be fine, but I've had so many experiences where things were not done right that such an idea would scare the heck out of me. ;) :tu:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congratulations on the new truck. Is there any chance you could tell me the name of the dealer you're talking about. I live in Connecticut and it seems I know twice as much as anyone at the dealerships around here. And as for ordering a truck, I was told to forget about it. It's been very frustrating. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You are prob. right. In their defense I may be misquoting.
They said if the factory did not do it they would put one in like the factory.
I know they would not lie to me, it is owned by my family :rolleyes:
Don't let anyone hack a hole in the top of your Tundra, unless it's Chip Foose or Boyd Coddington. It won't come anywhere close to a factory installation. The ridges on the roof of a DC come almost all the way to the front unlike the ones on the CM. The CM was intended to have a moon roof. Good luck with your new Tundra ... I love mine ... even without the much missed moon roof.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I would definitely take a look at the moonroof in the Tundra iGuide (linked various times on this forum) and see if the aftermarket one you are going to get has the features that you like. They aren't talking about a glass one that pops up 2 inches and clips down are they?

·
Registered
87 Posts
so it can't be done to look factory?
In my opinion, no. Not unless they're going to section in one from another truck. There is a lot going on with the headliner, also. Just my opinion, though. Take a look at a factory installation on any model and compare it to the same model without a moon roof. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Anyone here know how factory moonroofs are installed? Is the roof cut or is the steel molded that way? I would assume that if a factory moonroof could easily be added to a DC, it would be offered as a factory option. I'm assuming that there is some kind of structural limitation that prevents this. The reason why everone here is kind of averse to the aftermarket sunroof is because there is a lot of integraged design that goes into preventing wind noise and water leakage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Anyone here know how factory moonroofs are installed? Is the roof cut or is the steel molded that way?
I would say that the opening is formed when the roof section is pressed. The edges are folded down and that is where the seal is made.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
imdr911, it seems that they would have to cut a hole in the roof, cut a hole in the headliner in the exact same place, then install a motor and a track system. The factory moonroof also has some automatic functions that is electrically tied to the car (again, see the Tunda iGuide 2007 Toyota Tundra iGuide).

The factory moonroof is controllable via the door locks; warns you on the console if you have left it open; operates for 45 seconds after the ignition is turned off; and has a jam protection feature. There is also a sunshade that slides under the glass manually. It seems pretty complex.

In any case, make sure to come back here and let us know what you found out about the non-factory moonroof options for a DC.:ts:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
seems as though you can get that option if you in some of the other regions such as seattle washington.
if this is the case, can my dealer get my vehicle from there vs. wherever they normally get them. I am in MA

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
seems as though you can get that option if you in some of the other regions such as seattle washington.
if this is the case, can my dealer get my vehicle from there vs. wherever they normally get them. I am in MA

Um, I am in Seattle and we cannot get the Moonroof in the Double Cab or I would have it for sure.

Are you sure you ordered a DC and not a CREWMAX?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Um, I am in Seattle and we cannot get the Moonroof in the Double Cab or I would have it for sure.

Are you sure you ordered a DC and not a CREWMAX?

Read a post that states options available in each region.
Maybe the post was wrong. I have a DC on order.
I am now guessing the sun roof will not be available.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts