Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first post here as I am about to order a 2007 Tacoma. This site has been invaluable during my Tacoma research over the past few weeks. I loved my last vechicle - a 1997 4WD Pathfinder - but it was totaled during a recent tornado. In trying to replace it, it seems that the combination of options I want/need are not available on any existing trucks so I am planning on ordering the following vehicle:

TRD Off-Road Package: $3,045
V6 Towing Package: $650
Curtain Airbags: $650
Vehicle Stability Control: $850
Daytime Running Lights: $40
Interior Light Package: $249
All Weather Mats: $139
Door Sill Protectors: $59
Stainless Steel Step Tube: $479
JBL Soundsystem: $560
Blueconnect: $299
Rearview Mirror Camera: $682
-----------------------------------
Options: $7,702.00
Mnftr Dlvr+Prc+Hndlg: $695.00
Fuel Surcharge: $15.53
Base: $25,515.00
-----------------------------------
Total: $33,927.53

:confused: My questions are regarding the pricing. I am using an internet/fleet salesperson but am being told I will have to pay MSRP since I am ordering a "special" truck. To be honest, I really want the truck and have the means to pay full MSRP. Plus, I did my research on Consumer Reports and CarsDirect and the MSRP base + options are really not that much over invoice (compared to, say, a Silverado). However, something in my head can not get over the fact that I seem unable to negotiate even a few hundred dollars off the price (or get a few "toys" thrown in for free). Has anybody else ordered a "special" truck and been able to strike any sort of deal?

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Not a reason in the world that ordering a truck would require MSRP, since it is loaded with factory as well as port options the dealer might want a deposit. The dealer must know you have an insurance settlement and therefore are less "price sensitive". It costs the dealer no more to order a vehicle than sell off lot. Should save the dealer some interest/floorplan charges. Find another dealer.

Now about options, find a truck with all the factory installed options that cannot be easily retrofitted after built, than see if you can the same truck with some of the "port" options you want then since you have cash available just add the others yourself or take to a reputable truck accessory place and add the rest. The first 4 items are factory only, the interior light package is very rare for a reason, it is grossly overpriced for some add on LED's spliced in, and can be added later. The mats can be purchased over the parts counter for the same price, or order some correct fitting aftermarkets, not some ill fitting universals. The door sill protectors can be had aftermarket by several reputable companies, I had a set from AutoVentshade co that looked just like the Toyota's supplied ones. Toyota does not make these anyway, the purchase from an aftermartket company. Get the dealer to install the tube steps if you can't find anything you like better. I like the look of black tube steps better, but for lasting good looks stainless is the only way to go to prevent rust. The JBL is factory only. The blue connect is port installed , I think it occupies one of the doors on the overhead console. The rearview mirror is port installed also. If a truck with all the factory equipment is in the SET pool, it can have all of the rest of the items added at port. If a truck is at another dealer with all the factory equipment and some of the port add-on's it can be swapped and some of the things added, although install labor will be at the dealer's discretion. Have you looked at the pooled vehicles at SET? Go to dealer search, go to where it asks for zip, do not enter a zip, instead pick "advanced" search, then go to the center line where it says enter city/state and do not enter a city, just a state and then you will get all the dealers in that state in alphabetical order (within the SET region).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was told the same thing from a dealer in NW Florida. I think it is something that is coming out of southeast Toyota. In the south they totally control what the dealers do. If you want to pay MSRP do it. but I won't.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
SET does control all the dealers in GA, AL, NC, SC, and FL but other than the similar regional limitations that all the other regions do, and a $50-55 or so higher inland freight, the dealers can sell at list, over list or close to holdback as they please. Just try to avoid "Toyoguard" if possible as it is a high markup item. If passed through at cost is is OK, but still not the best value for the buck.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
womackjm, there is one DC 4WD (out of 400+ DC 4WD automatic trans) in the SET pool with all the FACTORY options, except it has the DZ 6 disc audio. Everything else you want is port anyway. It is white/graphite

EDIT: scratch that one, no curtain airbags....
34 with curtain airbags, but none with VSC in combo unless sitting on a dealers lot already.

Out of ALL DC's (all drivetrains, wheelbase) there is only 1 with VSC and 137 with curtain air bags out of 2000 + DoubleCabs. SET must not like the VSC, and may not send tech's for any specific training if any is required.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SET does control all the dealers in GA, AL, NC, SC, and FL but other than the similar regional limitations that all the other regions do, and a $50-55 or so higher inland freight, the dealers can sell at list, over list or close to holdback as they please. Just try to avoid "Toyoguard" if possible as it is a high markup item. If passed through at cost is is OK, but still not the best value for the buck.
No Toyoguard on "my" truck - only the things (including color) that I requested. I guess that's what it boils down to: I am not getting the best "deal" but I am getting exactly what I want. It's just hard to believe I am paying the sticker price with no cuts.

womackjm, there is one DC 4WD (out of 400+ DC 4WD automatic trans) in the SET pool with all the FACTORY options, except it has the DZ 6 disc audio. Everything else you want is port anyway. It is white/graphite.

EDIT: scratch that one, no curtain airbags....
34 with curtain airbags, but none with VSC in combo unless siting on a dealers lot already.
And that's the heart of the problem, as I understand it: TRD + Curtain Airbags + JBL + VSC/TRAC = impossible to find. According to my salesperson, it will definitely be one-of-a-kind in the Southeast and probably one-of-a-kind in the US.

Thanks for your insight . . .

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
But the fact remains that this order takes just a few more keystrokes on the keyboard than any other truck order/dealer transfer. I think this dealer is just has the attitude that you should buy what they have, and if you want it your way he's going to make you pay. That truck with the many port add-ons will have a large markup from cost and I bet if you took the spec sheet you have to another dealer(s) you could do better. Go to another dealer and have them give you a price including any and all fees, misc costs etc etc, everything but the GA sales tax (4%)+your counties LOST (2-3%) and GA title $18.00. I think you will save quite a bit. Tell them you know the list, just give you a bottom line minus state of GA tax & title. Don't play games with them, and if you find a GOOD dealer/salesperson they won't play games with you. It may take longer to get this truck built and delivered (if it is not too late in the model year) but it should not mean you have to pay list. If dealers could get list for a truck like this; they would have a half dozen of them on the lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
And that's the heart of the problem, as I understand it: TRD + Curtain Airbags + JBL + VSC/TRAC = impossible to find. According to my salesperson, it will definitely be one-of-a-kind in the Southeast and probably one-of-a-kind in the US.

Last friday I bought a white 4x4 DB SB V6 with:

FE (50 state emissions)
EJ (JBL)
GY (Curtain Airbags)
OC (TRD Offroad Package)
RL (Daytime running Lights)
RO (TO Package)
VE (VCS + TRAC & DAC)
CF (Floor Mats and Door Sill)

It was a special order and I had to wait for Toyota to build it. However the dealer did go down to $300 above invoice. When I when I went to pick it up there were 4 others in the US that were white with the same exact specs. So they are out there if you want one.

PS. I saw the dealers computer screen listing those 4 trucks due to a dispute we were having over the truck on the lot and the actual dealer cost for this exact package in white ran between $29,091 - $29,199 depending on which region the truck was in.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

FE (50 state emissions)
EJ (JBL)
GY (Curtain Airbags)
OC (TRD Offroad Package)
RO (TO Package)
VE (VCS + TRAC & DAC)

It was a special order and I had to wait for Toyota to build it. However the dealer did go down to $300 above invoice. When I when I went to pick it up there were 4 others in the US that were white with the same exact specs. So they are out there if you want one.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your input. I wanted Impulse Red Pearl so that may have been a hard find as well.

Some questions: When you say special order, you built it with the options you wanted through the dealer? Did you agree on a price before ordering? Did they require a deposit? How did you get the dealer down to only $300 over invoice? And where can I find all the Tacoma option codes?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ordered my 2007 when they were just hitting the lots last year. I ordered an impulse red, DC, TRD off-road, tow package, VSC, side airbags and 6 disc non-JBL. Mine was also a manual. I paid $118 over invoice no questions asked. This is totally your dealership trying to get more money out of you. No deposit required here as the dealership knew it would sell quickly. All prices were negotiated prior to placing the order.

Scott

·
Registered
290 Posts
Have you already gone on edmunds.com/nada.com/kbb.com and found out what the invoice pricing is? You will find all the Tacoma options and codes listed among these sites. I known the southeast region is quirky compared to the rest of the country...but there is never any reason to pay MSRP. When I went to the dealer loaded with invoice pricing and the options of what I wanted they tried to do a dealer location search to find the vehicle I wanted but only found a similar but not an exact match. When I advised about a 'special order' they were more than willing to negotiate closer to invoice than before. As mentioned, there is no cost to a dealer who does a 'special order' in fact this is a cost savings for them. Go to another dealer as mentioned and advise them of the options you want and negotiate from the Invoice price and not MSRP. Once you agree on a price, most dealers will want a deposit($500-$1000). Expect the order to take in the vicinity of 6-8 weeks. Also, get an OTD(out the door price) so this way you won't be slammed with dealer costs and fees when you go to pick up your vehicle. Good luck...
Thanks for your input. I wanted Impulse Red Pearl so that may have been a hard find as well.

Some questions: When you say special order, you built it with the options you wanted through the dealer? Did you agree on a price before ordering? Did they require a deposit? How did you get the dealer down to only $300 over invoice? And where can I find all the Tacoma option codes?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I still say see another dealer....This vehicle is hard to find because a lot of people don't care for some of those options and the price that goes with it, not because it is a high demand vehicle that demand has exceeded supply.

Nothing wrong with you wanting those options, it's just that most people won't load up a smaller mid priced truck in lieu just getting a bigger truck.
In late 1995 I ordered an odd combo, a 96 Chevy C2500 REGULAR cab with every HD chassis option and top of the line interior with the HD cast iron 5sp od and bucket seats and console. It had every option except deep tint glass/rear slider and no 4.11 axle ratio. I was using it to drive from middle GA to My property in FL while renovating. Everyone said I should get an extended cab or crew cab or a Z71 4WD. Everyone told Me I would never be able to sell a loaded reg cab, but I got just what I wanted, and when I put a 4 sale sign on it in 1998 I had 2 guys fighting over it. I bought My first (new) Toyota a 98 PreRunner from MIlton Martin Toyota in Gainesville GA, who by the way is a top notch dealer, very laid back.
Get what you want, but You should not have to pay MSRP, there are just too many dealers out there who will sell at invoice + X. Would not a 100mi or so road trip be worth perhaps several thousand dollars saviings? If this dealer is right in the middle of the weather damage zone, he may have a temporary, local sellers market.

·
Registered
34 Posts

FE (50 state emissions)
EJ (JBL)
GY (Curtain Airbags)
OC (TRD Offroad Package)
RO (TO Package)
VE (VCS + TRAC & DAC)

PS. I saw the dealers computer screen listing those 4 trucks due to a dispute we were having over the truck on the lot and the actual dealer cost for this exact package in white ran between $29,091 - $29,199 depending on which region the truck was in.

Hope this helps.
Yep, they're out there. I have an 07 v6 silver auto dc sb trd off road with that same package.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went through a broker to get my truck. He had a connec' with Hanlee's in Davis, CA, where he gets vehicles (and their accessories) for invoice. Because they didn't have Indigo on the lot with what I wanted, it was ordered for me, with tube steps, steering controls (wound up with the deluxe JBL due to some issue at the factory) and door sill protectors and mats. I didn't have to put down a deposit, either. I got it in about six weeks, no problems-- other than the sales guy trying to scare me into a warranty.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I ordered my truck same as yours with a snugtop for 31k.

I used costco.. that guy is full of bull.

I paid 300 over invoice.

Spot

1 - 15 of 15 Posts