Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 2002 with 75,000 miles on it. How long can I expect the original battery to last? I would think that after 5 years the life expectancy can not be too much longer.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I'm surprised it has lasted this long.
Replace the battery before you get stuck somewhere.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
I've had original batteries last for 8 years and just today replaced a 7 month old battery that failed. I use the battery until it starts showing signs of failure. Not always, but usually you can tell when your battery starts getting weak. If you go hunting and fishing where you can get stranded without access to a replacement I'd be more cautious, but if you stay on the roads and have access to friends or family that can pick one up and get it to you, I'd run it till it dropped. It doesn't take ten minutes to change a battery and no damage will result from it if it fails (unlike the timing belt). JMO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a battery fail in my old toyota after 6 years. Luckily it was at the farm so I bummed a ride from my dad to go get a new battery. A simple fix but a BIG hassle. It is much easier to change when you want to, rather than when you have to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was thinking the same thing... These cold cold days in New England are taking its toll. Nime for a new battery before I'm stuck too:tu:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I had the original battery in my truck for 4-4.5 years, then it took a crap. Then about 6 months after putting the new battery in, my alternator craps out :cry:. That fries the new battery. I have had 3 Batteries in my 2000 Tundra, I really only need two, but the alternator breaking did not help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bought my truck in Jan. 05. Used it yesterday and sat overnight in below zero weather. Truck wouldn't start today. SO basically, my battery made it just over 2 years.

Oops ^ changed to truck WOULDN'T start today.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've got an 2002 with 75,000 miles on it. How long can I expect the original battery to last? I would think that after 5 years the life expectancy can not be too much longer.
I agree. I usually replace my battery when I get new tires. I got 5 years out of my old battery. I got one slow start and decided to replace it just to make sure I wouldn't get stranded somewhere. It may have been fine. It bought my new battery from Sams for less than $50 IIRC.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Funny you should ask. I do all the service on my friend's 2002 Tundra and when he was here two weekends ago, I mentioned while looking under the hood that he was still on the original battery and that he was on borrowed time. When he tried to start it to pull out of my garage, the SOB wouldn't start. So the battery died right in my garage.

I've had my own batteries last seven or eight years (one, on a BMW motorcycle, lasted nine years. I'm not kidding.) But I never drive short trips, and my vehicles are all in a garage where the temperature never is outside of the 55° to 70° F range. If reliability is very important to you, I wouldn't keep a battery past five years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My '02 original battery started cranking slow when the weather got cool last fall. When the starter would slow down the voltage gauge would drop below the half-way mark so I changed the battery.

I have a street rod that I "finished" in the spring of '96 and put a new battery in it. It's still in the car and will sit 3-4 weeks sometimes and still start fine. I also had a two month old battery die after a 150 mile highway trip in the family car. It was so dead it wouldn't ring the door chimes. Go figure

·
Registered
195 Posts
i still have my original, now 7 yrs old. hoping that since we r close to getting past winter it will make it until next fall. dont think i will push another winter.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Mine Lasted 6 months

·
Registered
239 Posts
What battery did you guys replace the original with? My 2004 Tundra V8 was built in August of 03 and I bought it in December 03. It acts just fine and the window is bright green on the top of the battery, but I'm thinking I might swap it out this year. I guess what I'm asking is what is your battery recommendation?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Look at the Johnson Controls battery site
Leading auto battery brands: Get the right battery brand for your car and find the store nearest you.

The leading brands (including the Toyota Truestart) are made by the same company as the Costco, Walmart and Autozone brands. There is no point in paying more than you have to. Find the cheapest one convenient to you. Johnson Controls makes good batteries.

Interstate also makes good batteries. I bought the cheapest Interstate battery from Sams and have had no problems.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
What battery did you guys replace the original with? My 2004 Tundra V8 was built in August of 03 and I bought it in December 03. It acts just fine and the window is bright green on the top of the battery, but I'm thinking I might swap it out this year. I guess what I'm asking is what is your battery recommendation?
If it isn't broke why fix it? just kidding, I have went with Sears Diehards in my 92 Camry and 93 PU and when the thing quits i will put a diehard in the 06 D/C and just hope its not -30 and way the heck out in the middle of NO where when it dies but i would think normal battery life expectancy would be at least 4 or 5 years depending on a lotta variables but if concerned I would not go with the wally world type i know how long they last!! 3 years on my camry was it and thats why i went to sears i feel they should last atleast 4 to 5 years MIN!! SO how did your oil leak play out? suspence killing everyone?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
On my 86 Toyota pick-up the factory battery lasted 10 years and it was never garage kept.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Heat kills a battery as quick or quicker than extreme cold.

How many of you guys batteries died in summer as opposed to winter?

Have you AZ Tundras noticed that your battery will crap out in the extreme summer heat?

How many of you that had a wet cell battery last longer than expected regularly checked and serviced the cells with distilled water?

How many of you that had a long lasting battery never or very rarely accidentally discharged your battery below 12V or so?

Just curious trying to find a few reasons some of our batteries last just months and others years longer than expected.

BTW, I buy 3 year batteries at Walmart and replace them at 2 yrs and 11 months. :devil:
My OEM battery case cracked at 3 years... the acid spill was a mess. :cry:

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Toyota apparently uses batteries from different sources on the Tundra. My Tundra 4.7, built 11/2002,:confused: had what appeared to be an Exxide-sourced battery as OE. It lasted 31 months. A few months before it died, it began gassing & crudded-up the terminals.
The next is an, "In general," type of statement, but I'm wondering how many of the older or newer Tundras, experiencing much longer life than <36 months were made by Johnson Controls, or someone other than Exide.
I know a JC battery, Nationwide, or any battery from any maker can short out or have other problems and an Exide can last much, much longer than 36 months, but I've not had a lot of luck with OE Exide batteries.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts