Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should they offer a fuel efficient option on the table for the Tundra like a solid 5. liter engine producing 275 hp that gets better gas mielege like arond 18-20 mpg. This would be an engine for those not wanting a truck because its fast but one that is like any other truck like the Triton 5.4 or the vortec 5.3

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I think it would be neat if the truck got a version of the 5-liter V8 Lexus uses in the LS600h and the upcoming IS-F.

I don't think Toyota should offer any more engine sizes than it already has, the 4.0 and 4.7 are proven reliable engines and the 5.7 is a beast. If they were to do anything to improve MPG, they would be smart to venture into cylinder deactivation or just build that damn Hino diesel already :) Something like a 6 liter inline 6 turbo diesel...I would buy one in a heart beat.

·
Registered
848 Posts
the 5.7 is perfect ... it gets better mileage then the chevy or ford does ... if your worried about fuel they still sell the tacoma in a 4 cylnder ... and you will get 25-30 mpg all day long with that

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the 5.7 is perfect ... it gets better mileage then the chevy or ford does ... if your worried about fuel they still sell the tacoma in a 4 cylnder ... and you will get 25-30 mpg all day long with that
Its not really fuel efficiency taht am worried about, its the chevy and ford guys who wont by the tundra because they say its a gas hog and that Chevy and ford are more fuel efficient. An engine choice like the 5.0 vortec engine with cylinder deactivation will bring more buyers to consider the Tundra.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I would suggest that you do a Google search on GM's AFM. From what I have read it basically doesn't work in trucks unless they are totally empty and driving on flat ground. When pulling a trailer or with a load in the back of the truck, it is running on all 8 cylinders. GM has tried AFM twice before and the results were not all that great. If it were, shouldn't their Vortec be getting about 30mpg?? Just my 2 cents...........

·
Registered
764 Posts
Its not really fuel efficiency taht am worried about, its the chevy and ford guys who wont by the tundra because they say its a gas hog and that Chevy and ford are more fuel efficient. An engine choice like the 5.0 vortec engine with cylinder deactivation will bring more buyers to consider the Tundra.
My experience is the opposite. The 5.7L Tundra motor is every bit as fuel efficient and sometimes more when operated the same way as the equivalent Chevy (6.0 or 6.2 with or without AFS) or Ford (5.4 Triton ... forget it). The 5.7L Toyota mileage is actually closer to a lightly-loaded Chevy 5.3 (smaller class) in normal driving and better under load.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think the key to this 5.7L getting competitive fuel economy all lies in the 6-speed transmission. Try putting a 4.30 rear end gear in a 4 or 5-speed transmisison and see what kind of fuel economy you would get!! maybe 11 MPG:confused:

·
Registered
595 Posts
The 5.7L Toyota mileage is actually closer to a lightly-loaded Chevy 5.3 (smaller class) in normal driving and better under load.
The Toyota 5.7L is 346 CI and the Chevy 5.3L is 323 CI. That is a 23 Cubic Inch or 6.5% difference. I wouldn't really call that a different class. Although it is in a different class when it comes to the application of technology (DOHC, VV-i).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts