Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to know what is good equipment now. Bought our CM stripped because we knew would upgrade many things later....its later.

Must have good in dash gps, sat radio ability, blue tooth, ipod/iphone control, ability to use at least one, maybe two separate screens. and be able to run a rear camera at some point.

The ability to play dvd's in the HU would be a plus but not mandatory. will add a mild amp to sub and possibly components later.

not a lot of shops around me but have seen some good reviews of the Alpine INA-W900
and the Pioneer AVIC-X920BT. bought from crutchfield in the past but where else is reputable online now? what other options should i look at, places to buy.

thanks

oh and i would want to use the steering wheel control's if i can. read there have been some issues with this.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Both the Pioneer and Alpine units are good... remember that Crutchfield is a "might as well be retail" internet dealer but they are about the only authorized online dealer (meaning full warranty). You can find may things cheaper at sonicelectronix.com and others but the warranty is through them, not the factory. I believe that PAC has a direct connection for the steering wheel controls for the Pioneer but I'm not sure about the Alpine as I've never looked for one.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
leaning toward the AVIC-X920BT. right now it comes with a free ipod/iphone cable and a free set of 6 or 5" component speakers for 999$ im sure they are not the best in the world but anything is better than stock. and crutchfield always throws in the dash kit, wiring harness, etc. i ordered stuff from them in the past and never had an issue but always paid more.

the PAC module on their site isn't really clear on retaining the stock wheel controls so i need to call to make sure. and to make sure what is the best way to add a backup camera.

wife flipped out when i told her about the grand price tag, she wants me to get a freakin tom tom. i said no no lol.

just wanted to make sure the clarion or kenwood wasn't a better option. if im spending the money i want the best for the money. thx for the info

·
Registered
383 Posts
Clarion has always been more money for the same features in my experience. The new Kenwood units are very solid also and are a good choice too.

Not making it easier am I? :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
A good GPS deck with quality is Kenwood's DNX series. I used to have the 08' model DNX GPS with all the built in gadgets (i.e. built-in USB and aux connection, blue-tooth, and satilite) in my old Tahoe. Coolest part is that Kenwood's system utilizes Garmen GPS, so it has a full range of maps and locations both in North America and some other countries. Technical data is fully backed up by Garmen, so updates can be accessed through Garmen's online website. Also, the deck is very user friendly, accessing either DVD, Ipod, or XM radio is much simpler on the Kenwoods then compared Alpine or Dual. Although, I believe that if you're getting just a CD deck, either Alpine or Pioneer blow Kenwood out of the water. But where Kenwood lacks, it more than makes up in their GPS series. To my knowledge the only companies that build GPS decks are Kenwood, Dual, and Alpine (Alpine just recently got in the game). Alpine and Kenwood are about the same prices, depending on the model you get, with Kenwood maybe costing a little more. Dual is the cheapest, but quality goes down the drain with their GPS series. The downfall of the Kenwood GPS deck is their cost, the top of the line DNX cost around $1300. You can get the next one down for around $1000, but all the gadgets (i.e. blue-tooth and XM radio) are only "ready" (not built-in), so if you decide to get XM radio later, you'll have to get the module which cost $250 depending on your vehicle. Alpine cost around $1000 for their top of the line GPS, but they utilize a different GPS system, one that I'm not familiar with, so their maps and locations is not as advance then compared to Kenwood's. Both Alpine and Kenwood can play DVDs in HD, and have rear-camera options, as for Dual, I am not sure of.

None of these decks are compatible with the steering wheel controls, but all is not lost. You can get aftermarket hardwiring connections to utilize the controls, but its going to cost. Depending your the vehicle, it can be around $150-300 for just the wiring kit, add to that is labor, so it'll end up costing around $400 to add that option. As for where to shop, there isn't any places online I'd suggest, its pretty much who you know inorder to get a good deal. Well, thats all I have, hope it helps.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
beast, im in NC too over toward winston/greensboro. having an issue finding real shops here as well. everyone goes to best buy which there is no way in hell im taking anything there.

was told stay away from dual that my best bet was kenwood, pioneer and alpine in that order. have alpine hu's four or five years ago and no issue, never had pioneer or kenwood. going to do some more checking this week, get something ordered by monday. know that ipod/iphone and good nav are top of the list. adding video down the road is 2nd. the garmin aspect is appealing since ive had two different garmin and they were always flawless.

and thanks for the info fox, yep no easier

·
Registered
246 Posts
Lots of different units out there to go with, all the major brands are pretty good to go. Just pick the user interface and color you like. I went with an Alpine W407 in my '07. Added nav, came with BT, USB, Ipod that are extras on some other decks. But then no indash DVD/CD.

If you can do wiring, steering wheel controls are pretty easy with a PAC or other interface.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
talked to a couple of shops, no one wants to touch the steering controls. they don't want to tear it all apart just to find out nothing will work. and I don't do wires, not even in my house lol. outsource. ive got a road trip coming up and this isn't going to get done and in before i go so it will have to wait until the first of july. the wife has me budgeted and im trying to decide if i want to go new head unit, sub, amp - tires, wheels - lift, alignment

thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Aloha from Hawaii. Someone correct me if I am wrong - I'm guessing that the units you are discussing here are in-dash units. I'm looking to install a DVD system in my 10' CM - either a headrest system of a drop-down unit. Preferably an all-in-one system (screen + player). So far the only thing that comes up on the internet are Alpine, Visualogic, and Invision, among some other generic brands. Need to do more searches. I have the stock stereo system in my truck (non-JBL), and no steering controls. Need someone to steer me in the right direction - other than Crutchfield. Does anyone know if they make a unit that installs in the center console (BTW I have the split front bench seat)? Anyone have an aftermarket system installed in a stock configuration?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Alpine INA-W900 and the Pioneer AVIC-X920BT are the exact two I'm trying to decide on for my 2010 CM. The Clarion NX700 is also considered but the other two are the leading candidates. Gonna do some research on the Kenwood DNX9160. Let us know when you decide and install. Curious to see how it turned out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The JBL MS-8 has hit the market with an amazing product. I have mine on order and I cannot wait to install it. It takes the signal from the source (I will still be using the factory head unit) and man-handles it to perfection which includes time-alignment so that the "sweet spot" is where your head is when you drive. Plus, it has a lot more tricks up its sleeve.

Just some food for thought and a link to learn more about it....
JBL MS-8

1 - 12 of 12 Posts