Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have a overhead dvd player. If so what size cause they range from 10in to 15in. What size would work best. i have a dbl. cab. Thanks

·
Registered
819 Posts
Alpine PKG-RSE2...Awesome! Soooo much better than the Invision offered by Toyota.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
why get overhead? they block the rearview when they are down. they are in the center so passengers have to keep head turned slightly to watch. theres no way to conceal them or make them appear part of the interior in anyway.

now the better option is the headrest mounted ones. they are in teh right spot, they dont detract at all from the interior, and they can be concealed well (some have zip up covers like mine, some have slip on covers like tigerking's etc). they can be had in all price ranges just like the overhead ones. if you dont consider your truck a rolling movie theater and just want simple monitor and dvd player to keep kids happy and occupied then you can have them real cheap. if you for some reason only want ot get the top of the line HD quality stuff so a small child who doenst know any difference can watch Nemo in super high definition, then by all means spend lots of money. :)

so bottom line, dont get the overhead one unless u want to be awkward and block the rearview and want to he a theft magnet. plus the headrest ones are super easy to install, no cutting or drilling like most of the overhead ones....

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
theres no way to conceal them or make them appear part of the interior in anyway.
Couldnt disagree more. I have an overhead DVD in my double cab concealed in the overhead console. The screen might only be 7" wide but its perfect for my daughter who still sits in a carseat in the rear center. When its closed you cant tell anything is there.

I still have to trim my rough cuts a bit but you get the idea...

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Couldnt disagree more. I have an overhead DVD in my double cab concealed in the overhead console. The screen might only be 7" wide but its perfect for my daughter who still sits in a carseat in the rear center. When its closed you cant tell anything is there.

That's a great iidea! So basically just hooks into your HU then for the video source? Sounds like something I might be interested in doing.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
ok that does work well. i was thinking of the ones that are an all in one unit that the rest of the world uses hahaha. that one looks like it will be a decent install once cleaned up. very stealth. but it does block the mirror completely which is the other issue i brough up but good job on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dang MarkyMark, you have your own theater in there. Nice!! :first:

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Pop in the second "Aliens" movie and then show the screen. The part with those automated .50 cal sentry guns shooting the aliens would be a great demo. :tu: :D

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Dang MarkyMark, you have your own theater in there. Nice!! :first:
no...a theater has one screen. best buy has a wall of monitors like that that would make it nothing but distracting to try to watch a movie on haha.

and yes, markymark, excellent pic. see its no where integrated into the truck, just a bolted on housing with flip down monitor. nothing to conceal it, and it blocks the view out the back (i know i know just for show, but for real life is what im referring to). if it was the same color as the headliner it might be better but a big black box on a tan headliner is kinda mismatched IMO.

·
Registered
32 Posts

This is EXACTLY what I want to do. Where are you getting your video source? Does it do headphones? What brands of stuff did you buy and where did you get them?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
This is EXACTLY what I want to do. Where are you getting your video source? Does it do headphones? What brands of stuff did you buy and where did you get them?
My video source is my Kenwood DNX8120 HU. It does do headphones, I have a set of wireless headphones for it (sometimes you can only take so much of Dora and Diego). The monitor is a 7" wide screen made by savv and its held in place with high grade double sided tape.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im looking for some sort of overheard screen for my crewmax, I really need something for the back seats. The problem is that I have a sun roof, so i need to know if anyone has done something like this with a sun roof or am i out of luck for the headliner? Headrests the only option for me?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Im looking for some sort of overheard screen for my crewmax, I really need something for the back seats. The problem is that I have a sun roof, so i need to know if anyone has done something like this with a sun roof or am i out of luck for the headliner? Headrests the only option for me?
I have a sunroof and Alpine Overhead.
No problems operating either of them.:tu:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts