Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a question the other day about a Check Engine light on my 2001 Tundra. I had a new battery installed at Autozone last Friday and later that day noticed the Check Engine light on. After some suggestions, I went back to Autozone. My alternator tested fine. The code for the Check Engine light was PO155 for an Oxygen Sensor problem. After checking my Haynes repair manual at home, I decided this wasn't a good thing. The diagrams showed multiple oxygen sensor locations. I wouldn't know where to start. I am still wondering if this has something to do with installing new battery. If you leave the negative terminal disconnected for awhile, won't this clear any code for a Check Engine light problem? I'm just wondering if this could also throw up a false problem code. The timing of this with the new battery install seems like too much of a coincidence. Also, my truck is getting older, but it has less than 46,000 miles and I thought these Oxygen sensors would last longer. Is it off to the dealership? Any suggestions? Also, is this a problem I should get fixed in the next day or two or can it wait awhile? Appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I posted a question the other day about a Check Engine light on my 2001 Tundra. I had a new battery installed at Autozone last Friday and later that day noticed the Check Engine light on. After some suggestions, I went back to Autozone. My alternator tested fine. The code for the Check Engine light was PO155 for an Oxygen Sensor problem. After checking my Haynes repair manual at home, I decided this wasn't a good thing. The diagrams showed multiple oxygen sensor locations. I wouldn't know where to start. I am still wondering if this has something to do with installing new battery. If you leave the negative terminal disconnected for awhile, won't this clear any code for a Check Engine light problem? I'm just wondering if this could also throw up a false problem code. The timing of this with the new battery install seems like too much of a coincidence. Also, my truck is getting older, but it has less than 46,000 miles and I thought these Oxygen sensors would last longer. Is it off to the dealership? Any suggestions? Also, is this a problem I should get fixed in the next day or two or can it wait awhile? Appreciate any help. Thanks.
If the o2 is really bad, you can reset the computer, but the code is just going to pop back up after driving it for a few miles. Usually the code readers can tell you which specific o2 sensor is bad. The sensors are fairly easy to change out. There are alot of posts on here on how to DIY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the code reader told which sensor was the problem, the guy reading it didn't tell me and I asked if he knew where it was at. That is why I'm lost on where to start. Does anyone recognize the code PO155? Thanks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had the same sensor go out on my truck several months ago. It didn't affect how my truck ran and I was busy hunting every day, so I kept on driving it. I finally got around to ordering a couple sensors (in case the other side fails) and a sensor wrench from Amazon.com for $128. Last Saturday I fixed it in about 15 minutes flat. Unhooking the old sensor is the hardest part. Have you a long slim flat head screwdriver to wedge inbetween the male and female servo connector. Leave the screwdriver there, then give the sensor side wires a good firm pull and it will come right out.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
On the passenger side, it was easier for my fat hands to slide the O2 loom off it's support clip on the engine; this gave enough slack in the wiring I could reach the connector with one hand (just behind the valve cover), squeeze the trigger with my thumb, and pull the harness wiring off from the O2 wire.

Reattachment of the new sensor was all from underneath the truck...don't forget to reattach the wires to the support clip...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone give me the parts numbers for the two sensors and the special sensor wrench? Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Or you could loan the oxygen sensor wrench set from Autozone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.