Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone having trouble with the oxygen sensors and check engine light? My truck has been in shop 4 times including today. The Check Engine Light (CEL) went on Friday night. I stopped by an autozone and the error reading was reading a P0158 and something else (bank 1 and bank 2 oxygen sensor/voltage). Saturday the dealer got the same code but said everything was fine and reset the CEL. They said it happens sometimes when it's cold (which is a crock). After driving 10-15 miles the light went on again. Took it in on Monday morning and they said it was a bad sensor and ordered one. I took it in yesteray and they said that they had replaced a sensor in the exhaust system. Drove home last night and after 15 miles the light went on again.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Seems every model Tundra has been caught up in the 02 sensor problem, guess no one will fix this ongoing issue and it has been going on for quite a while! the 2004 was the newest that i have heard with this issue up to date? Guess everyone can look forward to repairs and Toyota has been stepping up and fixing but they should with the failures this systems has!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had to replace my O2 sensor on the front passenger side of my 2001 Tundra SR5 before I traded it in for my 2007 Tundra. I agree, the O2 sensor had been a problem on these Tundra truck. Google it and you will see many Tundra owners with this as a common problem. I fixed mine myself but it took some time because I took out the driver side sensor first which did not work and then got the correct one on the passenger front side. The code doesn't tell you which side to replace and you just have to figure it out by yourself.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help.
Toyota is now certain that it's the air/fuel sensor in the exhaust system, rather than an oxygen sensor. Of course, they were certain that they had pinpointed the exact oxygen sensor earlier when they replaced it yesterday. By the way, nobody has one in stock. Sure glad I bought a toyota for reliability.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Hmmm...Mine (00 Tundra) is due for smog check in 3 weeks so, I just replaced mine yesterday with original factory O2 senson and they are not cheap (ouchhh). Code said it was Bank 2, sensor 1 & sensor 2, which are both on passenger side. Anyway, drove the truck to work today (~40 miles), and CEL has not cleared yet (was told around 80 mile or so before it clears). If it doesn't clear by the time I get home today, I may have to go and rent a code reader/eraser, will see....

Where can you find the air/fuel sensor in the exhaust system....? Just incase, I need to check on that...

Thanks,
Riz

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Hmmm...Mine (00 Tundra) is due for smog check in 3 weeks so, I just replaced mine yesterday with original factory O2 senson and they are not cheap (ouchhh). Code said it was Bank 2, sensor 1 & sensor 2, which are both on passenger side. Anyway, drove the truck to work today (~40 miles), and CEL has not cleared yet (was told around 80 mile or so before it clears). If it doesn't clear by the time I get home today, I may have to go and rent a code reader/eraser, will see....

Where can you find the air/fuel sensor in the exhaust system....? Just incase, I need to check on that...

Thanks,
Riz
Just a quick FYI if you clear the codes you need to put on about 40 miles or so or they wont test the truck. Some how when they plug the smog computer into the OBD port it can see when the codes were cleared and they will tell you to take a drive before the test.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Thank you all.....at 43 miles after new O2 sensors (2x) installed, CEL indicator disappear from the dash....Got the smog done after work yesterday, and everything pass and well so far... Hope stay this way for a while.

Thanks,
Riz

·
Registered
86 Posts
more than likely its the heater circuit of the sensor and they have to reach around 600 - 800 degrees F for emissions besides the heater elements going out the actuall o2 or afr still works fine in most cases

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is anyone having trouble with the oxygen sensors and check engine light? My truck has been in shop 4 times including today. The Check Engine Light (CEL) went on Friday night. I stopped by an autozone and the error reading was reading a P0158 and something else (bank 1 and bank 2 oxygen sensor/voltage). Saturday the dealer got the same code but said everything was fine and reset the CEL. They said it happens sometimes when it's cold (which is a crock). After driving 10-15 miles the light went on again. Took it in on Monday morning and they said it was a bad sensor and ordered one. I took it in yesteray and they said that they had replaced a sensor in the exhaust system. Drove home last night and after 15 miles the light went on again.
Thanks for the help.
Toyota is now certain that it's the air/fuel sensor in the exhaust system, rather than an oxygen sensor. Of course, they were certain that they had pinpointed the exact oxygen sensor earlier when they replaced it yesterday. By the way, nobody has one in stock. Sure glad I bought a toyota for reliability.
Air/fuel sensor and oxygen sensors are one and the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts