Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a good idea to heat up the oxygen sensors with a torch before trying to remove them? I want to avoid stripping out my manifold when I have to replace them.

Thanks,

Scoob

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
My passenger side sensor wouldn't budge. I started the truck and let it run
for about a minute and it came out no problem. Spraying it with some PB
Blaster and letting it sit overnight problem wouldn't be a bad idea either.

John

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Heating up with the truck running didnt help me. Pull that torch out and heat it up till red(watch out for lines and pipes so you don't burn anything), then try to remove it. Should come out. Also since the sensor is toast anyway take sawzall and cut the back off then use deep 7/8 socket as the special one tends to round off the nut as it has cut on the side so it spreads and slips. If wouldn't budge don't rape it - i did it and f*cked up the threads. I did find out the torch thingy only after it was too late. Also can get that freeze off thing from NAPA - me thinks its liquid CO2 in a can and it cools things dramatically there for shrinking metal and loosening up sensor. Be careful if you wish to spray red hot metal as it might explode. Got to use some sense :)

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I agree that you can use the torch to heat it up, but I would try things
before doing that. The torch would be towards the end of my list. As I
said, one of mine came out fine with just warming the truck up, the other
came out...when the manifold came out! Not because I ruined it
either, but because it was seized in there and nothing was getting it out.

John

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I raped mine out, not knowing it (thought it was because of the rust it was coming out difficult) it was actually metal fused, so i took M18x1.5 tap and fixed threads. Was getting ready to pull manifolds off :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts