Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed, but I woulkd like to hear from some people who switched over to LT tires. I am working on my 3rd set of Firestone Destination A/T tires. They last me around 60-70K each time in the P metric size. My truck weights around 5400 lbs. I was looking at the LT tires (C rated) which would be around $80.00 more than P metric (275/75R16). Wondering if the ride gets much harsher, handling improves or not, tire last as long as P metric. On the other hand so far I had zero problems with the P metric, if it aint broke don't fix it ?
Most of my driving is highway, but when I move drilling rigs or wind towers, I could be driving 20+ miles on backwood dirt and logging roads.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
Steve, I went from a set of POS Goodyear Wrangler A/TD2 (Sam's Club) P265/75R16s to the Nitto Terra Grappler LT265/75R16 119Qs (D-rated) tires and I couldn't be happier. I'd say that I mostly drive city/freeway, but there are times I do need a capable offroad tire for local mountains, desert tracks, etc and the Nittos have really shined.

Of course, going from a P-metric to a true LT-rated tire you are going to experience a slightly harsher ride, but I feel it is worth the price for the capabilities. I can run my Nittos up to 62-64psi for towing/hauling or down to 30-32psi for a more forgiving highway ride (I generally run them at 44psi front & 42psi rear) and the tire can do it all.

I would recommend a C-rated LT tire given your driving habits.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I considered switching over when my current tires wear out. I talked to the brother in law who is a mechanic. He said that unless you do a lot of towing or hauling heavy loads a lot it may not be worth it. LT's have heavier duty side walls to reduce flexing under heavy loads, especially while cornering. If you do haul heavy loads the ride is supposed to be much better. He does a lot of towing, mostly tractors and tractor parts so he uses Michelin LT's. Rhymed off a few other differences too but basically for an every day driver application the extra cost may not be needed. Others may add personal experience that state otherwise but hope that helps.

·
Registered
690 Posts
My experience is in the other direction; I went from the LT tires that came on the truck to P series at about fifty thou. I truly have not seen any difference in the ride, and the Yokohama Geolandar ATs are getting very noisy at 76K - about 25K on them. They do very well in rough off road situations, though.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be staying with the Firestone Destiantion A/T tires, since they have been very good to me. Just trying to make up my mind if I should go with P metric or LT C rated. My truck weighs in around 5500 lbs empty, with all the equipment and gear I have in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've tried switching from a P-metric tire (Michelin LTX AT2's) to an LT tire twice (first time to BFG AT K/O's and second time to Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors), and both times I went back to the P-metrics because of fuel economy. The LT tires I tried weighed about 10 lbs more each, and that was enough to cost me 3 MPG. As much as I'd like to run an LT tire I just drive too many miles to live with 12.5 MPG all the time.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I tried BFG AT K/Os, LT-D, and found the ride to be a bit harsh for my liking. I then switched to Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor LT-C, and the ride is much nicer. The LT-C still provides enough sidewall firmness and inflation capability to tow my 5000lb travel trailer competently.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am going to need new tires for my '08 CrewMax and decided on the P-Metric 275/65r18 rather than the LT. I went to three separate tire shops and each urged me to go with the LT tires for reasons that they could not fully explain. I emailed Bridgestone and got the following response from Sales Engineering Manager: "I would not recommend switching to an LT-metric tire. An LT tire requires more pressure to carry the same load (up to 80psi compared to 35psi for P-metric), and your wheels may not be rated for the additional pressure."
I stay well within the maximum weight limits of the P-Metric tires, and have found nothing in either my owners manual or on-line searches that talked about wheel limitations, so chose to stay with the P-Metric tires.
Hope this helps in your decision making process.
Jim

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I am working on my 3rd set of Firestone Destination A/T tires. They last me around 60-70K each time in the P metric size... On the other hand so far I had zero problems with the P metric, if it aint broke don't fix it ?
I think you answered your own question.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts