Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Tundra 4.7L 2wd. Got a P0500 code (variable speed sensor malfunction) after my speedometer, odometer and rpm gauges stopped working. I replaced the speed sensor on the end of the transmission and erased the code with my code reader before starting the engine but that didn't fix it. Any ideas what could be the cause? Could there be more than one issue?

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,537 Posts
Q: Were you getting any erratic transmission operation prior to replacing the VSS unit?
Q: What symptoms are present other than the CEL code and the instrument cluster not reporting?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were no erratic transmission operation. Shifts were fine.
The only other possible issue is the chime not working for "open door" and "lights on" when key is in the ignition. Everything else works as it should.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
I have this same code up right now. I have ABS brakes and was having a problem with them malfunctioning when applied at slow speeds. I disconnected the wiring on the rear differential (because I wanted to stop when I was driving) and my brakes work but the ABS light is on and shortly after doing this I had this code come up. Disconnecting that one plug caused the ABS system, the speedometer and the odometer to stop operating.

I have read where some have cleaned the sensors and the problem was solved. I just had a right rear wheel bearing fail and get replaced. After searching and reading on TS I think some particles are causing this issue. I was planning to take the truck back to the dealer to have them fix it it but if it is simple I may just attempt the removal and cleaning myself. Just have never done this before and I don't even know what is involved.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Hello,

I have the same problem, however, my tach is working. The truck is in the shop for the second day for the third time. The shop replaced the curcuit on the back of the speedo cluster but still not working. On occasion, the speedo will work for a few minutes then stop. I really believe there is a short in the harness, but the shop states the wires are testing positive. I also replaced both of the sensors that plug into the tranny. I have a 2004 and it has two sensors on the drivers side - one around the middle and the other towards the back.

I will let you know what the problem was when I hear back from the shop.

MJ

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Hello,

I have the same problem, however, my tach is working. The truck is in the shop for the second day for the third time. The shop replaced the curcuit on the back of the speedo cluster but still not working. On occasion, the speedo will work for a few minutes then stop. I really believe there is a short in the harness, but the shop states the wires are testing positive. I also replaced both of the sensors that plug into the tranny. I have a 2004 and it has two sensors on the drivers side - one around the middle and the other towards the back.

I will let you know what the problem was when I hear back from the shop.

MJ
My tack was working but my ABS was stuttering and that is why I disconnected the plug on the rear diff. I decided to investigate myself rather than waste an entire day of travel. I removed the sensor that is installed directly behind the wheel bearing on the top of the differential. It is a magnet. It was filthy and a large hunk of metal was stuck on it. I cleaned it and reinstalled. Problem solved. Took me all of 15 minutes to do what the dealership should have done when the truck was in for the wheel bearing.

On the 04 are there sensors at the wheels?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I did not have any problems with my brakes, it was strictly the speedo and odo working sporatically or not at all. I did a ton of research on both TS and the rest of the web and all the data pointed to the speed sensors on the side of the tranny for speedo issues.

On Friday, the dealer ordered a new ECU from Cali. I live in MD, so it will be Tuesday or Wednesday before I know more.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Good luck with it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts