Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the P1135 code on the wife's 2001 RAV4. The fault indicates A/F Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction, Bank 1, Sensor 1 failure. Can anyone tell me where this sensor is located (picture if possible) and if any special tools are needed to remove and replace. Is this something I could replace easily? A web search has this part at around $200. Thanks! -Rick5472

·
Registered
192 Posts
I received the P1135 code on the wife's 2001 RAV4. The fault indicates A/F Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction, Bank 1, Sensor 1 failure. Can anyone tell me where this sensor is located (picture if possible) and if any special tools are needed to remove and replace. Is this something I could replace easily? A web search has this part at around $200. Thanks! -Rick5472

replacing the o2 sensor is not that hard, you will need a oxygen sensor socket that you can borrow from your local auto parts store or you can buy one for like $15, sometimes the hardest thing to do is to unplug it from the clip as there is limited space. b1 s1 if i am not istaken should be left upper sensor. i am also sending you a pm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any recommendations on how to get the A/F sensor out? I am talking about the one on the top right as you are looking in at the engine compartment close to the top radiator hose. I bought a 7/8 slotted socket but can't seem to get enough grip on the sensor. My next plan is to take off the radiator hose so that I can take my wrench closer to the firewall. I have used plenty of PB Blaster and have started the engine to heat it up but still no joy. I don't have much confidence in using a torch as someone has suggested. Does anyone have any secrets on how to get this sensor out? I was thinking about using an impact wrench but don't want to ruin the threads. Thanks for any help here. rick5472

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh please do not use any silicone based lubricants or rust penetrants. THIS IS A WELL KNOWN ISSUE AND will kill your NEW sensor and the one downstreaM - they are not tolerant of Silicone at all! Surprised you cant get part off try when HOT or heat around pipe NOT sensor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Be careful! I've had several that get seized in the manifold and will NOT come out. Then you have to replace the manifold/converter assy! $$$ Highlander 4cyl does it too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You can douse the threads with WD-40 and let the engine heat up, then let it cool down. Go thru this cycle a few times and it might let loose.

When I replaced the upper two sensors this is what I did. Took about three hours before they both came loose. To get extra grip you can remove the heat shield very easily.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the sensor that is on the drivers side if the engine 9looking from front on the right). I am dot sure if removing the heat shield will help. the problem I have is when I put the slotted socket on the sensor I do not have enough plau to get my breaker bar to have enough room to remove the sensor. Also the slotted socket gives a little bit by expanding toward the bottom and the socket slips. I think removing the upper radiator hose should help with the amount of space I have to get a good pull on the sensor. Does anyone have the part number of this sensor? I haven't ordered one hoping to get the part number off the old one. Since I haven't got it out I am not sure. Thanks.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
rich5472

I am sitting here tonight trying to figure the same exact thing out :)

Here is what I have come up with. I went to the Denso replacement part site

DENSO Aftermarket: Online Catalog at DENSO Aftermarket: Performance Aftermarket Automobile Parts - Automobile Car Parts

found the O2 sensors for the 2001 RAV and looked at the pictures they have for each model. The picture details the connector and the connectors are different for left and right BEFORE the CAT, they look the same for after the CAT.

I determined that this code is referring to Denso replacement part 234-9023

So I googled that and just ordered it from Amazon for $133 shipped

Amazon.com: Denso 234-9023 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive

I checked this price against my old favorite for parts, www.rockauto.com and indeed, the $133 is a great price.

I had replaced the asme sensor but on the other side last year, I can't remember the code it gave me, but it really sucks these sensors are starting to die off. My RAV only has 72K miles on it and I have owned it since new.

Hope this helps you, I will try to post back when I get the part to confirm 100% this is really it. Amazon is pretty good about returns, so I am not too worried.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Confirmed - Code P1135 (My RAV is a 2001, FWD, 5 speed manual with the 1az engine)

Is O2 sensor Denso part number - 234-9023

I used a 7/8" open ended wrench to get the old one off

I had to remove the heat sheild to get the correct angle on it

I also had to tighten it just a smidge before loosening it, the whole thing took about 30 minutes, light is off and after a couple restarts and revs, it stayed off.

I am going out to ride it around now and see what happens.

I love amazon shipping, part got here Friday :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for posting the link to the amazon sensor. That really is a great price. Half what the dealer wants and a good third less than I found at my usual spot. Just placed my order and figure it will be here soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, My rav4 pop up with the check eng. light. The code is P1135 I went to my toyota dealership where I have my car service I ask where was the A/F sensor located he showed me where it was if this is true it is found looking at the eng.standing in front looking to the left which is the passenger side it is the one on the top which is the short one. My question is as I read some of the post here I notice that is was said it is on the right side I would hope that the tech was telling me the truth. I would really like to know before I order this part let me know and I thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts