Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new to the forum. Came across it the other day and I'm excited to see that I'm not the only 4Runner owner who wishes they still made it in stick...my '99 is stick and the only reason I'm holding on to it is because there are pretty much no options for a stick SUV. Well, there is the new Hyundai Santa Fe, but that doesn't even compare to my 4Runner.

Anyway, check engine light came on a few days ago. Happened before and turned out to be the air flow sensor. Took some advice from this site and went to Autozone. They said its a P1135, but couldn't identify what it is. Went to the dealer and asked them what it means and the guy says he doesn't know and I'd have to schedule it for service. Before I drop $100 on having them run a diagnostic, can anyone help me out here? I searched the forum and found some info on P1135, but I don't understand what it means (I'm a bit of a car-mechanic novice). What other options for service do I have besides the dealership ripping me off?

Oh and I don't think its the gas cap issue, cause I tried that already. Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
That should be the air/fuel ratio sensor that is known on most cars as an O2 sensor. It is the sensor that is in front of the Cat. You can get them on line from a Toyota dealer for around $150-175. If you go with an aftermarket, I would only go with a Denso. It is very easy to replace and takes about 15 mins. There are just two nuts that hold it in.

The sensors are there to detect problems, but more typically they are the problem. You can take it out and test it, but for the money and the odds, it is probably just as easy to replace. Once you replace it, you need to clear the code by either using a scanner or pulling the fuse or battery cable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts