Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Tekonsha website and the new P3 is supposed to be the hew hotness. I've read in many forums that the Prodigy is the one to get, I'm shure either will be a good bet.

My question is, has anyone tried the P3? Is it worth the extra bucks over the Prodigy? I really like the "Up Front Controls" and the appearance of the P3.

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
I was looking at the Tekonsha website and the new P3 is supposed to be the hew hotness. I've read in many forums that the Prodigy is the one to get, I'm shure either will be a good bet.

My question is, has anyone tried the P3? Is it worth the extra bucks over the Prodigy? I really like the "Up Front Controls" and the appearance of the P3.
Like most here, I have the Prodigy and greatly like it. But it does have a few shortcomings which the P3 seems to have addressed:
  • Cryptic display of problems. The P3 is much more informative.
  • Diagnostics, especially being able to observe actual current (not just applied voltage) going to the trailer brakes. This is a potentially huge improvement. A couple of years ago, my Prodigy would occasionally display "N.C." (meaning no connection) while towing. Eventually, after a lot of troubleshooting, I discovered that a wire to the brakes on one side of the trailer had broken...meaning I was only getting half the trailer's potential braking. If I'd been able to check brake current as well as voltage I would have immediately seen that brake current was half of what it should have been...which would have greatly speeded the troubleshooting..
  • Ability to switch between electric and electric over hydraulic brakes. Increasingly manufacturers are installing electro-hydraulic powered disc brakes on the heavier travel trailers. Electro-hydraulic disc brakes provide far, far better trailer braking than the electro-mechanical drum brakes that have been in use for at least the last 50 years. But most won't work with the Prodigy. The P3 solves that problem.

So....given that the P3 has major improvements (plus the display is much nicer), I'd say it was well worth the roughly $30 difference in price. I'll soon upgrade myself...first to get the improved diagnostics and second to be able to retrofit my trailer with electro-hydraulic disc brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went ahead and ordered a P3 with the wiring harness.

I bought it here: Tekonsha P3 Prodigy Series Trailer Brake Control

The P3 was on sale for $127 and the 3040-P harness was $10.95. The order was over $100 so there was free shipping. I also get the $20 mail-in rebate from Tekonsha when it arrives.

There was one note saying that it wasn't shipping till May 31st. That's not a big deal because I don't know when I'll need to have it. I just couldn't pass up the deal.

I just placed the order so I'll keep everybody posted on how it arrives. I think that is a pretty sweet deal, better than the ones on eBay (when you include the shipping).

·
Registered
132 Posts
I went ahead and ordered a P3 with the wiring harness.

I bought it here: Tekonsha P3 Prodigy Series Trailer Brake Control

The P3 was on sale for $127 and the 3040-P harness was $10.95. The order was over $100 so there was free shipping. I also get the $20 mail-in rebate from Tekonsha when it arrives.

There was one note saying that it wasn't shipping till May 31st. That's not a big deal because I don't know when I'll need to have it. I just couldn't pass up the deal.

I just placed the order so I'll keep everybody posted on how it arrives. I think that is a pretty sweet deal, better than the ones on eBay (when you include the shipping).

Great price on the P3..
RV Wholesalers has them at $149.00 plus shipping..
Prodigy P3 Brake Control , Tekonsha , Vehicle To Trailer , Brake Controllers , RVWholesalers.com

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got around to installing it. There is a manual lever on the bottom so you have to keep an area clear for that. It fit perfectly in the center console pocket. I think it integrates better than the Prodigy. One thing that I did not know, is that it stays on all the time. I will have to install a switch so that I can turn it off.

·
Registered
148 Posts
asianflava,

On the site you used it doesn't list a 3040P wiring harness, only the 3040.

I checked Tekonsha site and it shows both. Which one do we need for the 2007 Tundra? If I order the one on the same site as you (great price) will I get the correct one?

Thanks,
Carl

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
asianflava,

On the site you used it doesn't list a 3040P wiring harness, only the 3040.

I checked Tekonsha site and it shows both. Which one do we need for the 2007 Tundra? If I order the one on the same site as you (great price) will I get the correct one?

Thanks,
Carl
Hmmm, I clicked on 3040 and I got the 3040P, didn't know they were different.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
so the 3040p is the harness we need for the 07's then?
The only difference in the two part numbers is the packaging. The 3040P is the cable in a plastic shell and it's geared for retailers shelves. The 3040 is just the rolled up cable with a label and it's geared for parts counters where they would keep quanties of them stacked in a box. Regardless of which one you get, it's the same exact cable.

The one thing you do need to pay attention to is that the Tundra tow plug in the kick panel will not supply a proper ground. Tekonsha fixed this problem by adding a second ground wire (White) to this harness which must be attached to a ground bolt. This wire is not inside the jacket like the others so I just snaked the extra ground wire thru the laced cover and attached it to a ground bolt by the tow plug at the kick panel. There all approx the same length and it just looks nicer with all the wires covered by the jacket.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Finally got around to installing it. There is a manual lever on the bottom so you have to keep an area clear for that. It fit perfectly in the center console pocket. I think it integrates better than the Prodigy. One thing that I did not know, is that it stays on all the time. I will have to install a switch so that I can turn it off.

I got my P3 installed the same way last night, and replaced the fuse this morning so it works. I did it the same way as you, with the large bracket coming up from underneath instead of using the quick release bracket (that had it sticking WAY out). My questions are 1 - How did you secure the U-bracket to the cubby? For now all I did was put several layers of electrical tape under it to make a tighter fit. :eek: Also, did you install a switch yet to turn it on and off? If so, how/where did you do it?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
They turn off automatically after about 20 minutes. Then turn back on when you touch the brakes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got my P3 installed the same way last night, and replaced the fuse this morning so it works. I did it the same way as you, with the large bracket coming up from underneath instead of using the quick release bracket (that had it sticking WAY out). My questions are 1 - How did you secure the U-bracket to the cubby? For now all I did was put several layers of electrical tape under it to make a tighter fit. :eek: Also, did you install a switch yet to turn it on and off? If so, how/where did you do it?

Thanks,
Dave
I would drill a hole through the bottom and use pop rivets..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey guys. The Tekonsha site lists the "3040" harness as only being used for the 2003-06 Toyota 4-Runner, Sequoia and Tundra Pickup Truck. I have a '06 Taco with the trailer package. What would be the right harness to use the P3 in my truck for plug and play?
Thanks.
Donald

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Hey guys. The Tekonsha site lists the "3040" harness as only being used for the 2003-06 Toyota 4-Runner, Sequoia and Tundra Pickup Truck. I have a '06 Taco with the trailer package. What would be the right harness to use the P3 in my truck for plug and play?
Thanks.
Donald
I'd assume that it's the same one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How did you get the wiring routed to the center console pocket? Does the console pocket pull out?

Could a switch be added to one of the empty switch blanks? How are these blanks removed to add a switch?

Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts