Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a very positive experience with Pace Edwards and wanted to share with the rest of you who have, or are thinking about buying, one of their bed covers.

I have a Full Metal JackRabbit installed on my '07 DC. I've loved it since I installed it. But as in many cases there were those few things I wanted to change. The two things I was planning on altering this spring were improving the tailgate seal to come over the edge of the tailgate, and adding a cover over the key slot to keep the winter ice out.

Well, this past winter a patch of paint flaked off one of the cover panels. I had the cover for less than two years, so I snapped a couple pics and sent them off to PE to ask about warranty coverage, repair options, etc. That was IT, and they sent me a whole new replacement cover!

To my sweet surprise, all the mods I was crafting in my head were staring back at me when I opened the carton:
- A wonderfully covered key slot that was now integrated with the opening mechanism.
- A fantastic, heavy-duty tailgate seal that would now rise above the edge of the tailgate (this, I have noticed already, keeps the already sturdy cover even more stable in buffeting wind).
- And to boot, there was not one single hand grip on the drivers side, but a long, glorious, grab-anywhere trough along the entire width of the cover.

A tear came to my eye. AHEM! But, you know, a good, solid, MANLY tear!

Anyway, the only problem I had with the whole experience was the poor response time of the customer service person I was in contact with. I had to follow up on nearly every e-mail I sent (sometimes after weeks), so the process of getting the new cover took a lot longer than it probably had to. But considering I received a whole new cover for a missing patch of paint, especially when that was the last thing I expected, I didn't much mind at all!!

Some pics attached: flaked paint; comparison shots of covers; even the keys have been improved (new key on right)! I've got other pics if anyone wants another angle.

Oh, and I upgraded to the Explorer Series rails at the same time.

I don't have any experience with other bed covers, but if all PE products are backed up like this, I may not have to think about that for quite some time!

If anyone has had the opposite experience with PE, please post as well. Balance always provides better perspective.

Attachments

·
Registered
819 Posts
I love my Pace Edwards Bedlocker. It is way better than roll n lock I think.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have been strongly considering this bed cover; now you've convinced me that's what I want. If you don't mind me asking; tell me about the cost and how hard was it to install?

I had a roll-n-lock on my previous truck and I liked it for the most part. However the vinyl cover on it was starting to show signs of wear before I sold the truck. Hence the reason I was considering the PE.

Thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
819 Posts
The install for me was pretty easy it took me and my brother about 45 mins to install. It only took that long cause I have a plastic dropin bedliner and had to cut the front portion about 1/3 from the top out for the canister to sit. I got the electric one that comes with 2 remotes that go on your key chain. It keeps out about 95% of the water, just leaks where the tailgate is. Only cause there is opening on the truck when tail gate is closed, not pace edwards fault. It could be fixed if tailgate gasket is installed.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't mind me asking; tell me about the cost and how hard was it to install?
I bought the cover from a local truck accessories shop in late 2007 for about $1400. It was comparable to anything I could find on the internet at the time with the bonus that I wouldn't have to wait for delivery. I think they're a little cheaper now. Pricey? Maybe. But so far it's been worth it. It's well built, adjustable, lockable, and looks great (even before the new cover!).

Like red4rr said, the self-install isn't that bad at all. It's a little cumbersome to do by yourself as I did, but still very manageable. Most of the time is spent checking that the width of the rails is consistent across the bed (PE supplies different width mounts and shims for that), and that they are at just the right spot to meet the tailgate when it's closed. And once you've done the install, removal is pretty easy in case you need to haul something that needs every bit of room in the bed.

Just know ahead of time that you will lose the function of your factory deck rail system if you have it. The problem is that the diameter of the knobs that secure the tie-downs is too large and they will interfere with the cover rails. However it recently occurred to me that maybe the knobs could be switched out. If that's the case my deck rails might be functional again...

·
Registered
819 Posts
I also paid $1400 for mine over a year ago. I got the electric one. Got mine from autoanything.com

·
Registered
304 Posts
I bought the cover from a local truck accessories shop in late 2007 for about $1400. It was comparable to anything I could find on the internet at the time with the bonus that I wouldn't have to wait for delivery. I think they're a little cheaper now. Pricey? Maybe. But so far it's been worth it. It's well built, adjustable, lockable, and looks great (even before the new cover!).

Like red4rr said, the self-install isn't that bad at all. It's a little cumbersome to do by yourself as I did, but still very manageable. Most of the time is spent checking that the width of the rails is consistent across the bed (PE supplies different width mounts and shims for that), and that they are at just the right spot to meet the tailgate when it's closed. And once you've done the install, removal is pretty easy in case you need to haul something that needs every bit of room in the bed.

Just know ahead of time that you will lose the function of your factory deck rail system if you have it. The problem is that the diameter of the knobs that secure the tie-downs is too large and they will interfere with the cover rails. However it recently occurred to me that maybe the knobs could be switched out. If that's the case my deck rails might be functional again...
Thanks for the info, when I'm ready to buy I'll definitely shop around. No worries about the deck rail system because I don't have that option.

Later...

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
btw, who has the best price for Jackrabbit now?? :ts:
Autoanything.com claims they won't be undersold on Pace Edwards, and that seems to be true from the other places I've looked. That's why I bought the explorer rails for my FMJR from there.

Another option is to inquire about factory seconds right from the Pace Edwards website. You might get lucky there with a cover that has an imperfection or two but is still of great quality.

·
Registered
819 Posts
how do you get it for that price?

I guess I just ordered it at the right time, or they jacked the price up cause it is soo cool. I could have gotten a jack rabbit one for like $800 or so at the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I Just installed a full metal jacket on 2011 Crewmax. Very easy to install and looks great! Great fit and finish. I looked around for quite some time and really figured out that Pace Edwards is the way to go.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Got to love the look of no cover till your right on your truck. Congrats on the cover.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts