Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to install the PE Full Metal Jackrabbit on the 07 Tundra DC that has a plastic factory bedliner? How long will this takes?

I'm thinking of ordering one online and install it myself to save some money ...or...buy it locally at the PE dealer and have them installed if it's difficult.

Thanks for your inputs.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have a pace edwards bedlocker the electric version and it was pretty easy to install. I had to cut the front of the liner so the canister will fit right. The only problem I have is the very end near the tailgate sticks up cause of the bedliner not letting the clamps seat properly. The cover keep out 95% of the rain, only a little near the tailgate. You could probably solve that problem by putting sealing foam around the tailgate. If I were you I would spring the extra cash for the electric one. I am in and out of mine every day cause of work. Feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks red4rr. Would you mine snap a couple of pics of the part where you mentioned it raised up and also a pic of the side rail where it supposed to be mounted? Also, how big of a cut at the front for the canister fitment? Thanks.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I would say that I cut about 1/3 off the front. I will try to get out and take pics later today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Here are some pics I tried to take a pic of everything possible with out removing all my tools.

http://pbckt.com/sb.dPT7

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, thanks Red4rr. That look real nice. I'd love to get bedlock but too much $. I don't use the bed much so manual I think is fine. Did you install it yourself? How long did it take?

your tail look just fine or as far as I can see from the pic.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Me and my brother installed it in about 45 mins. I would recommend having someone there to help with the install. I am the only one that notices the tail sticking up. It sticks up 75 cents high! The only reason it took 45 to install was cause we did not know to cut the bed liner. Love the look of these covers, you dont even know there there from the side like roll n locks.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bought myself an PE full metal. Going to put it on a lil bit.
So the canister is bolted onto the rail that's it? It seems very heavy to be floating like that.
Also with the tail sticking up bc of bed liner...can you just trim the rear liner so it'd sit flush?
Thanks

·
Registered
820 Posts
Dont remember about the canister mounting. You might be able to cut the liner and get it to set better. I will be spraying a bedliner once I get some info on how someone on TT DIY spray liner works out. He did the whole bed for right around $100. I am sure you will love the new cover. How much did it set you back?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it for $1260 (not bedlock) from SVCustom. I could have saved like $60 elsewhere but wanted to get it to support our vendor here...
anyways, got it installed by myself this morning for about 2.5 hours. I can prob get it down to about 1 hour now since I know exactly what to do now. Yes, I have to cut the bedliner to have it sit flush...actually not sure if I need to cut it or not... but called PE tech support and they said "cut" so I cut :) Damn thing is heavy as hell...almost broke my back..I ended up having to use a hydrolic car jack & a piece of wood to support it while mounting.

Cover is nice as hell..love it. There is a little uplift at the rear bc of the rear weatherstrip installed by PE (rubber piece). Everything is flush as far as I can tell...love it :)

thanks for all your help from answering questiosn.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My ends stick up about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I hope that I will get it down later. You can not notice the end sticking up, but I can. Well congrats on the cover. Post some pics soon.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Did you get the Explorer Rails? Here's a pic of mine with bike racks and a load bar I had fab'd:

I put 2 Yakima load bars with Q towers on the cab when I need to haul something long (19' canoe, Hardi-plank, etc.). It all slides off real easy when not needed.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay. Looking at some other tonneaus, the end cap at the tailgate looks diff than mine. Other has the plate cover just like on the side looks nice and flush. Mine come with the rubber gasket??

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a pic of the end cap rubber piece I'm taking about. I saw a truck with a metal cover plate last time...looks a lot nicer. Did PE changed design or is it bedlock version?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Okay. After driving around, the cover won't lock in place. It kept slipping out to first stop...WTF??
I can not help on this one really, I just press a button and it stops. Do you have to twist the locking part? Make sure it is back to locking position.

Your cover sticks up in the back just like mine, you can not notice it until your right up on it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks man. I called PE and they said the rear is a little too wide apart and need some shims. Shims weren't in the box when they sent me so they're sending me a few to shim the two rails closer together and hopefully that will take care of it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Okay. After driving around, the cover won't lock in place. It kept slipping out to first stop...WTF??
I called PE and they said the rear is a little too wide apart and need some shims.

I mean no insult, but are you sure the cover was locked in the last stop before driving? I noticed when I installed my replacement cover (same version as you have) the tailgate seal made for a TIGHT fit. Until the seal "got used to" being up against the tailgate, I could only pull the cover fully closed with the tailgate down. Now that the seal is conditioned a bit I can get it closed with the gate up.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yup..pretty sure it's locked. I guess I'll find some washers and use it as shims while waiting for the "real" shim to be shipped to me.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
yup..pretty sure it's locked. I guess I'll find some washers and use it as shims while waiting for the "real" shim to be shipped to me.
Well, it was worth a shot. Getting those rails lined up and spaced right can be the trickiest part - hope you have success once those shims arrive!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts